South Central logo SCLS Home
Committees Home
Delivery Advisory Home

Search
 


Delivery Advisory Committee Minutes

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 9:00 a.m.
SCLS Administration
Room C

Present: Diane Jaroch (Chair, MOO), Jane Grogan (MAD), Elizabeth Bauer (MID), Jennifer Endres (PDS), Phyllis Davis, Heidi Oliversen, Bruce Smith (Delivery), Jeff Grandt-Turke (Delivery), Brinnan Shaffer (Delivery), Brad Guenther (Delivery)

1. Meeting was called to order.  
2. Volunteer Recorder – Endres volunteered to take minutes.
3. Changes or Additions to the agenda – Add discussion of Library Closing for Moving and/or Changes
4. Approval of November 29, 2005 minutes – Motion by Endres, 2nd by Davis.  Motion carries.
5. Business
A. Reduced Transportation Holds (RTH) – Heidi Oliversen presented spreadsheet of RTH data counts by individual libraries.  Overall, there is a significant increase in the hold items kept at the location when compared to the period when RTH was off.    There are many variables contributing to the percent of items kept at an individual library.  Jane Grogan noted situations where there are only one copy seems to be the source of most complaints; she cited recommending items for purchase and patron education as useful ways of resolving these issues.  It is not possible to change the settings for items with only one copy; RTH can either be on or off.  Overall, RTH is increasing the efficiency.  Other discussion included the current parameters. Middleton has been getting a lot of positive response to RTH from both staff and patrons. The current method seems to be working and no changes are being recommended. 

B. Delivery Volume – Bruce Smith noted that delivery flat-lined when RTH was turned on.  Since then, delivery volume has continued to increase at typical rates around 8-12% each count.  Madison had the biggest effect in basket volume.  Overall, RTH dropped the baseline from which increases will continue to occur.  Growth will likely continue to increase as additional libraries join LINK – Brodhead is in the process of joining right now.  Heidi Oliversen is not sure if the new system will offer any additional functionality to help reduce delivery volume.  The amount of delivery is driven by patron demand. 

C. New Delivery Carts - Modifications to the previous version have been made for safety reasons.  Each cart can hold 6 baskets and includes a removable handle.  This will reduce lifting for delivery staff to about 20% of the current level.  Also, two new trucks have been purchased.  This will provide for additional volume capability on the local routes and there are plans to consolidate routes further for additional efficiency.    Approximately 250 to 300 carts will be needed for all the libraries.  The projected cost is $300 per cart.  

D. Other: Library Closing for Moving and/or Changes – There was a large backup of delivery buckets when VER was closed to relocate.  This is especially a concern for libraries with large delivery volumes that close or libraries that are closed for extended periods of time. There is a need to review the process followed in order to make the transition process as smooth as possible for all involved in a move.  Heidi Oliversen contacts all libraries in this situation and gives them a checklist to follow.  The checklist instructs the libraries to contact delivery and automation in order to discuss their options.  In the future, if a library is closed for more than a week patrons will be encouraged to change their pickup locations.  Those who do not select an alternative pickup location will have their holds converted to inactive before the closing period.   Automation can run a list of items with a particular pick up location for that agency to convert to inactive during the closed period.  Additionally, patrons and libraries with closed periods will be encouraged to have their patrons pick up all holds before the closing period begins.  The system treats a closed period like a Sunday and no items are due or called from the hold shelf at that location until the library reopens.  Also, the library that will be closed will be removed from the public OPAC.  Perhaps removing this option for the staff catalog will also be used.   

6. Committee Reports (Status of each)

A. Best Practices – This committee has completed its charge.
B. LINK Issues – This committee last met in 2003 and has completed its charge.
C. Patron & User Education – This committee has completed its charge.  Recently staff has revised and updated all of the brochures which help to educate patrons about features of LINKCat.
D. Other Consortia & Contracts – This committee has completed its charge.  Bruce Smith will attend a consortia conference in September.  Some of the local systems will be merging automation systems.  Phyllis Davis and Bruce Smith recently reviewed the contracts. 

All of the above committees have completed their charge.  They may be reformed when Horizons is implemented or can be called upon if a particular issue arises. 

7. Set Next Meeting Date – The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 at 9:00 a.m.  Bruce Smith will check the availability of the meeting room.
8. Evaluate Meeting
9. Adjourn