SCLS Administrative Council

Thursday, August 18, 2011

SCLS Headquarters

 

 


Summary of action items:  None

 



Present: L. Belongia (13), J. Christensen (12), M. Friesen (3), C. Froistad (8-10), T. Herold (5),

S. Lee (8-10), R. McCabe (1), Ben Miller (4), B. Stack (2), P. Westby (15)

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

Also Present:
H. Moe, M. Van Pelt, B. Smith, M. Warren

Excused:  J. Berg (14), P. Bosben (11), J. Chase (6-7), N. J. LeMoine (4)

Absent:

CALL TO ORDER:  T. Herold called the meeting to order at 10:08 a.m. 

a.                  Introduction of guests/visitors: Ben Miller, SKC, was introduced – he represents cluster 4 in place of N. J. LeMoine.  Molly Warren, MPL, was also introduced.

b.                  Changes/additions to the agenda: Add cluster realignment to “Other discussion”.

c.                   Requests to address the Council: None


Approval of previous meeting minutes:  C. Froistad moved approval of the July 7, 2011 AC minutes.  R. McCabe seconded.  Motion carried.  L. Belongia moved approval of the July 28, 2011 All Directors’ meeting minutes.  S. Lee seconded.  Motion carried.

 

Action Items:  None

Reports of action of committees/workgroups:

a.      Delivery Committee:  B. Smith noted the committee met at the delivery facility and a tour was given.  Route changes, volume trends and the impact of the MPL move were discussed.  The University of Wisconsin has signed a contract to continue with the 5 day service until 2014.

The minutes may be found here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/dc/index.html

b.      ILS Committee:  S. Lee noted action items included: the approval of the CMC to review and approve requests for new collection codes and shelving locations (This used to be done by the BSCC Committee); the Development Committee charge was revised to include “work with development vendor and SCLS ILS staff to develop specifications for new development projects. Test new development projects and provide feedback. Participate in testing software upgrades in test environment and provide feedback”.

The minutes may be found here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/ic/index.html

 

c.       Technology Committee:  Did not meet.

The meeting minutes may be found here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/tc/index.html

d.      Libraries For Real Life Work Group:  No report.

e.      Patron PR Work Group:  No report. 

 

f.        Materials Handling Work Group: No report.  Will meet in September.

 

g.      E-commerce Work Group: Will meet August 31, 2011 at 1 p.m. at SCLS HQ.

 

h.      Resource Sharing Work Group: Met July 26. Next meeting is August 23 in Middleton. Minutes may be viewed here: http://www.scls.info/committees/workgroups/resource-sharing/index.html

Issues from clusters to be referred for future discussion:  None.

 

Other discussion:

 

  1. Cluster representative – If a cluster rep is not able to attend a meeting (AC, ILS, TC, etc.) who should attend in their place? The AC members present felt it would be appropriate for the cluster representative to designate someone from within their cluster to attend the meeting as a proxy if the appointed representative could not attend.  If it is an AC representative, it can be the director’s designee or a director from another library within the cluster.  Proxies for ILS, Technology and Delivery Committees do not have to be directors but must come from the same cluster as the representative they are replacing. This will be discussed with the clusters and the AC will vote in September.

 

  1. WPLC Statewide Digital Media Buying Pool:  M. Warren and M. Van Pelt shared information received at the most recent SRLAAW & WPLC meetings regarding the WPLC statewide digital media buying pool.  All systems are being asked to contribute toward the purchase of digital materials equaling a total of 1 million dollars.  The cost for each library in SCLS is based on 2.75% of each member’s 2009 collection expenditures as reported to DPI.  The SCLS Foundation voted to contribute $5,412 toward the SCLS cost and there is $300,000 in LSTA funds available as well.  There were questions raised about how many titles 1 million dollars would buy, what an annual payment would be, what happens if a few libraries in our system don’t contribute – who would cover that cost, etc.  It was explained that WPLC has two subcommittees for the project: the existing Selection Committee and the new Vendor Selection Committee.  WPLC is not going to automatically use OverDrive as the lone vendor but will be investigating other vendors like 3M, Recorded Books and EBSCO eBooks.  Members are to be encouraged to attend the Digipalooza Recap via GoToWebinar on August 25 to learn more. The AC recommended a GoToWebinar be scheduled ASAP so the clusters can receive the appropriate information and discuss the details.  WPLC is giving an October 14, 2011 deadline for participation in 2012.  Also requested was a webpage with all the documentation available for review in one location.  (this will be done and located at http://www.scls.info/committees/ac/index.html under Related Documents.) The purchasing pool will be put on the September agenda as an action item to possibly recommend that SCLS and all its members participate in the WPLC plan.   The AC realized they could not make financial commitments for each member library on this cost.  The members will have to decide for themselves if they will pay the fee but only a system may participate in the purchasing pool not individual libraries. WiLS summary from ALA  2011 meetings with vendors

 

  1. Cluster realignment:  With the addition of the Fitchburg Library, the clusters need to be adjusted. The cluster population numbers were updated to reflect 2009 numbers from the DPI website.   It was proposed to move Marshall to Cluster 5, Deerfield and Oregon to Cluster 12, and Fitchburg to Cluster 11.  The AC will vote on the cluster realignment proposal in September.  The call for nominations for 2012 cluster representatives will be sent following the September AC meeting. 

Meeting adjourned at 11:29 a.m.

Next meeting will be September 15, 2011

 

Heidi Moe, Recorder