SCLS Administrative Council

Thursday, October 18, 2012

SCLS Headquarters



Summary of action items:  None


Present: J. Berg (14), P. Bosben (11), J. Chase (6-7), J. Christensen (12), C. Fessmeyer (5), M. Friesen (3), C. Froistad, S. Lee, (8-10), R. McCabe (1), B. Miller (4), S. Schultz (13), B. Stack (2),

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

Also Present:
 J. Anderson, M. Ibach, H. Moe, M. Van Pelt



CALL TO ORDER:  M. Friesen called the meeting to order at 10:05 a.m. 

a.                  Introduction of guests/visitors: None.

b.                  Changes/additions to the agenda:  None

c.                   Requests to address the Council: None


Approval of previous meeting minutes:  J. Berg moved approval of the September 20, 2012 minutes.  P. Bosben seconded.  Motion carried.


Action Items:  None

Reports of action of committees/workgroups:

a.      Delivery Committee:  Did not meet.   The minutes may be found here:

b.      ILS Committee:  Via email, committee members reviewed a draft of the Koha Evaluation document, which basically asks a yes/no question as well as provide a scenario of what a vote for yes or no would mean for 2013.
The minutes may be found here:


c.       Technology Committee:  J. Chase noted discussion items included Windows 7, print management options and Envisionware, Crystal Reports, and the 2013 LSTA technology grant for enterprise wireless.  The latest meeting minutes may be found here:

d.      E-commerce Work Group:  The Envisionware server has been purchased and we are moving forward with the implementation of the service.   The minutes may be found here:

e.       Governance Structure Work Group:  The Work Group met twice in October.  The topics discussed were how to improve the workings of the cluster model as well as the decision making process.  Communication breakdowns has left members feeling that they don’t have a voice and the voting process creates the feeling of “winning” or “losing”.  The minority view is important and the population representation model may not be working well.  Also discussed was the idea of “advising” versus “governance”.   A new cluster model was recommended.  These recommendations and discussions will be taken to the All Directors 2 meeting in November.


Items from clusters for initial discussion:  None. 


Other discussion:

B. Stack inquired whether the technology committee would reevaluate new technology for email options periodically.  M. Van Pelt will pass the information onto V. Teal Lovely.


M. Van Pelt discussed the Eastern Shores System merger.  A timeline has been created to have a decision by November 2013, with an implementation in 2014.  Per DPI, only two systems can merge at one time.  Paul Nelson’s Retiring Guy blog has a lot of information on the Eastern Shores work. SRLAAW has requested that WiLS create a system summit to investigate the merging of systems.


R. McCabe noted Peter Yarrow will be performing at the WLA Conference on Friday.


J. Chase inquired where WiLS will be in one year.  Technically WiLS will be out of business 7/2013, but is working on restructuring itself.  Denise Anton Wright and Beth Price will be putting together a webinar or program for SCLS members to learn how the ILL will function in the future.  Sara Gold continues to negotiate databases from vendors for the member libraries.  SCLS pays for Sara to provide the service through WiLS.


Meeting adjourned at 10:44 a.m.

Next meeting will be the All-Directors’ II meeting on November 15th at the Wintergreen Resort in WI Dells.  There will not be a separate AC meeting that day.


Heidi Moe, Recorder