SCLS Administrative Council

Thursday, March 22, 2012

SCLS Headquarters

 

 

Summary of action items: 

Approved creation of a Marketing Work Group

Approved creation of a Governance Review Work Group

 

    

Present: A. Barnett (1), J. Berg (14), P. Bosben (11),  J. Chase (6-7), J. Christensen (12), M. Friesen (3), C. Froistad, S. Lee, J. Roughen (8-10), T. Herold (5), B. Miller (4), S. Schultz (13), B. Stack (2)

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

Also Present:
H. Moe, J.M. Bolthouse, M. Ibach, V. Teal Lovely, M. Van Pelt, B. Smith

Excused: 

Absent: S. Selle (15)

CALL TO ORDER:  M. Friesen called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. 

a.                  Introduction of guests/visitors: None.

b.                  Changes/additions to the agenda:  None

c.                   Requests to address the Council: None

 

Approval of previous meeting minutes:  P. Bosben moved approval of the February 16, 2012 AC minutes.  C seconded.  Motion carried. 

 

Action Items: 

a.      Creation of Marketing Work Group:  M. Ibach distributed a handout explaining the proposal, charge and composition of the work group.  After reviewing the proposal, J. Berg moved approval of creating a Marketing Work Group.  P. Bosben seconded.  Motion carried.  If anyone is interested in serving on the work group, please contact M. Ibach.  M. Ibach will send out an email asking for volunteers.

           

b.      Creation of a Governance Review Work Group:  M. Van Pelt proposed this work group be formed to review the “new” governance structure. The work group will be created to represent each county and include at least 1 non-AC representative.  The group will review the results of last year’s survey, possibly create an additional survey, review the governance answers from the visiting libraries report and help with the discussion during the afternoon of the All-Directors’ Meeting.  The work should be completed by September.  Depending on the results of the review, a different work group may need to be formed to determine the next steps.  J. Berg moved approval.  T. Herold seconded.  Motion carried.   The following volunteered to serve on the work group:  S. Schultz, J. Christensen, and a MPL representative.  It was noted D. Skalitzky, MAR, is interested in serving on the work group and M. Van Pelt will contact M. Allen, BAR, to inquire if she would like to serve as well.  M.Van Pelt will contact the directors of the 3 northern counties for input.  A discussion followed noting that the work group should not be overly represented by any one county and that the northern counties representation may need to be combined due to distance and county wide library services. 

 

Reports of action of committees/workgroups:

a.      Delivery Committee:  Met March 13th.  Bruce noted the committee discussed potential future delivery service options and possible route changes for 2013.  A pilot project will take place in April to test the elimination of Saturday deliveries to 17 member libraries.  After the test, library staff and delivery will provide input regarding the effects and possible potential changes. The minutes may be found here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/dc/index.html

b.      ILS Committee:   Met March 7th.  V. Teal Lovely gave an update on the action items discussed.  They included approving the circulation policies final draft, recommending the elimination of the backdating policy for items received in delivery, and that non-RFID libraries allow other libraries to place RFID tags in books received to fill holds.  The tag insertion by RFID libraries is voluntary.  Vicky also addressed the response time problems with Koha.  The ILS users group met March 6th and created a prioritized list of projects and discussed workflow as well as specific items that can be turned on in Koha.  The minutes may be found here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/ic/index.html

 

c.       Technology Committee:  Did not meet.  The latest meeting minutes may be found here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/tc/index.html

d.      E-commerce Work Group:  No report. Discussion followed about reviving the work group to chart out comparisons between the quotes received from Envisionware and Comprise.  V. Teal Lovely will contact the volunteers. The minutes may be found here: http://www.scls.info/committees/workgroups/ecommerce/index.html

e.      Non-ILS Library Lending Work Group:  J. Chase distributed a handout of her report of the first meeting.  The committee reviewed the current status of loaning between ILS and non-ILS libraries and discussed present alternatives to the current practice.  The AC requested a cost estimate from MPL, based on increasing the number of “mediated” checkouts to non-ILS libraries, for the next meeting.  The AC also determined that the workgroup should report to the ILS committee, who will make a recommendation to the AC. 

f.        Cost Formula Work Group: Met March 7th.  S. Schultz noted the work group has determined an accurate cost formula for calculating ILS and Technology fees.  The ILS factors were not changed.  The Technology factors’ percentages were changed.  Because there are variations in contributions from libraries, a 5 year acclimation period will be implemented to bring members into compliance and create an equitable payment plan for all members.  During the 5 year timeframe, the difference between what the library would pay for SCLS service by the 2013 cost formula and what the library actually paid for SCLS service, based on the 2011 annual report statistics, will be divided over a five year period.  All libraries will be in compliance with the cost formula by 2017.  The AC suggested creating a spreadsheet of the 2012 budget using the 2013 formula so libraries can see the amounts and the 5 year allotment.  This will be done and posted on the SCLS web site with other explanatory documents.  M. Van Pelt will send an email to all directors when the work is posted. Approval of the cost formula will be placed on the next AC agenda as an action item.  The minutes may be found here: http://www.scls.info/committees/workgroups/cost-formula/index.html

Issues from clusters to be referred for future discussion:  None.

 

Other discussion:
a. Publishers’ relationships with OverDrive, report from PLA attendees:
  M. Van Pelt noted OverDrive bought “Bookish”, an Australian company’s app that allows patrons to download ebooks directly from a website browser to their devices.  She and the other WPLC attendees received a demonstration of the app and were impressed.  Overdrive will officially unveil the app at the Annual ALA conference with a release to libraries in the fall.  The threatened DOJ lawsuit against Apple and the big six publishers for collusion was discussed.  WPLC is recommending that the 2013 buying pool for e-content be one million dollars.  Also noted was the LSTA meeting, to be held April 17 & 18, which will discuss the 2013 LSTA grants.  It is hoped that the state will continue to contribute $300,000 for e-content. M. Van Pelt is a member of the LSTA Advisory Committee.

 

 b. Phone lines for members to listen to AC:  At future AC meetings, any SCLS library staff member that would like to listen to the AC meeting may do so by dialing an 800 number, which will be provided when the AC agenda is sent to scls-announce.  Those that wish to address the AC, must do so at the designated time on the agenda, otherwise, they are welcome to listen to the meeting.  This is a pilot program to determine interest and cost.

c. Concerns from some clusters that items brought up under #5 “Items from clusters to be referred for future discussion” need to be discussed at the meeting where they are initially raised:  The current procedure was reviewed.  Cluster representatives may request an item be put on the agenda when the “call for agenda” is sent out prior to the meeting.  An item can be added at the beginning of the meeting.  The intent is that enough time be given on any given topic for research but it does not preclude a discussion from happening at the immediate AC meeting.  Action will not be taken on the topic until it has been researched. The AC decided to change the wording to “items from clusters for initial discussion”, which should allow discussion to take place at the time the topic is introduced, and also allow it to be placed on the next month’s agenda if necessary.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:28 a.m.

Next meeting will be April 19, 2012

 

Heidi Moe, Recorder