SCLS Administrative Council

Thursday, May 17, 2012

SCLS Headquarters



Summary of action items:  None



Present: J. Berg (14), P. Bosben (11), J. Chase (6-7), J. Christensen (12), M. Friesen (3), C. Froistad, S. Lee, (8-10), T. Herold (5), B. Miller (4), S. Schultz (13), S. Selle (15)

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

Also Present:
H. Moe, J. M. Bolthouse, M. Ibach, V. Teal Lovely, M. Van Pelt, B. Smith,

 J. Anderson


Absent: R. McCabe (1), B. Stack (2)

CALL TO ORDER:  M. Friesen called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. 

a.                  Introduction of guests/visitors: None.

b.                  Changes/additions to the agenda:  None

c.                   Requests to address the Council: None


Approval of previous meeting minutes:  C. Froistad moved approval of the April 19, 2012 AC minutes.  J. Berg seconded.  Motion carried. 


Action Items:  None


Reports of action of committees/workgroups:

a.      Delivery Committee:  Met May 9th.  The committee recommended that the number of days of delivery should be held at current levels for 2013.  Service levels will continue to be evaluated for the future.  The committee will work on considering alternative delivery service pricing models that would better allow for cost reductions or increases when frequency of delivery service is changed at a library.   The minutes may be found here:

b.      ILS Committee:   Met April 4th.  V. Teal Lovely noted the 2013 proposed ILS budget was approved for recommendation to the AC.  Other items discussed include:  title browse index response time problems being addressed, text messaging for available holds, PAC content trials, and the development plan for the Koha evaluation, as well as ILS policies and the SCLS member cooperation policy. The Koha 4.12 upgrade is scheduled for the last week of May, The minutes may be found here:


c.       Technology Committee:  A special meeting was held May 16th to discuss the 2013 technology budget and an addendum to the current support policy.  The technology budget was approved for recommendation to the AC and the   support policy was revised with the addendum to include SCLS support for pc’s gifted to a member library.  Future revisions will be on a case by case basis with specific parameters.  The latest meeting minutes may be found here:

d.      E-commerce Work Group:  Will meet at 3 p.m. May 17th. The minutes may be found here:

e.      Non-ILS Library Lending Work Group:  J. Chase will present a draft of the committee’s findings to the ILS committee for review.


f.        Cost Formula Work Group: Did not meet.   The minutes may be found here:

Items from clusters for initial discussion:  None. 


Other discussion:
a. Possible consolidation with Arrowhead Library System: 
M. Van Pelt noted the Arrowhead Library Board met, but did not have a quorum so no action was taken regarding the possibility of a consolidation.  Ruth Ann Montgomery, Director at ALS, requested financials from SCLS and Marty will provide comparable figures for their review.  The next ALS board meeting will be June 13th. 

The AC members expressed varied opinions about a consolidation with ALS.  In the event that ALS determines they are interested in consolidating with SCLS, the AC members were reassured that SCLS cannot consolidate with another system without the approval of its county boards and both system boards. 


b. Is there a need for an ILL subcommittee?  After a very brief conversation, the AC determined that there was not a need for an ILL subcommittee.


Meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

Next meeting will be June 21, 2012


Heidi Moe, Recorder