South Central logo SCLS Home
SCLS Committees
LINK Committee
Search
 


LINK Minutes

August 9, 2007
SCLS Administration Building

Present: Adams County – Calef; Baraboo- MacDonald; Belleville – Christensen; Black Earth – Schmitt; Brodhead – Rosa; Dane County – Chase; Lodi – Hilliker; Madison – Grogan, Lee; Marshall – Skalitzsky; Mazomanie – Johnson; McFarland – Hartman; Monona – Gerber; New Glarus – Anton Wright; Plain – Palmer; Portage – Jensen; Prairie du Sac – Endres; Reedsburg – Steiner, Mobley; Stoughton – Chevis; Sun Prairie – Herold; Wisconsin Rapids – Barnett; Wyocena – Friesen.

Absent: Cambridge, Cambria, Columbus, Cross Plains, Deerfield, DeForest, LaValle, Monroe, Mt. Horeb, North Freedom, Oregon, Pardeeville, Poynette, Rock Springs, Spring Green, Sauk City, Verona, Waunakee, Wisconsin Dells.

Also present: Davis, Morrill, Blough, Teal Lovely, Oliversen, Gannaway, Dries.

Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 10:10 am.

Establishment of Quorum: J. Endres reported we had a quorum for the meeting.

Additions/Changes to the Agenda: Delivery Advisory Committee has a recommendation.  Attendees signed book for Linda Schmitt that was passed around as this was her last meeting.  She will be starting a new job as a school librarian in Belleville.

Approval of Minutes:  J. Endres moved approval of the June 2007 Minutes.  H. Jensen seconded.  Motion passed.

Treasurer’s report – No report.

Project Manager’s report:

The first phase of the Windows XP migration will be completed today, August 9th when the last of the Patron PCs is converted.  The Operations staff invested a lot of time in the research and development of the Patron image.  Patrons have made such good use of the new features that we had to call WiscNet, South Central’s Internet Services Provider, to request that the bandwidth limit be raised.  Internet use on the network for the past 3 months has already exceeded the “Prime-time maximum internet service flow rate” projected for April 2008.  WiscNet staff will increase the bandwidth and South Central will have the challenge of projecting 2008 costs in light of swiftly escalating demand.

Reedsburg is investigating Self Checks for possible installation in 2008.  If other libraries are interested in purchasing Self Checks, it is beneficial to make a group purchase as it lowers the installation costs.  Let Lauren know if you are interested.

Mike Cross of DLTCL sent email on 7/26/2007 requesting “information from libraries in each state on potential library construction projects in the next five to ten years.  The information will be compiled and used by COSLA to determine if there is a national need for federal library construction funding.”  That email was followed by an SCLS message from Mark Ibach encouraging libraries to reply to the request.  Automation staff are also interested in these projects and would appreciate receiving a copy of the survey form, if that’s the easiest way for you to forward the information.  Please see http://psw.scls.lib.wi.us/building/automation.html  for more details on contacting Automation in preparation for building projects.

Computer Systems Integrator’s Report – No report.

COMMITTEES:

Long Range Planning:

The committee made the following recommendations:

The project implementation will be reviewed by the Circulation Services Committee.  Monona may be interested in joining.  Lauren will send a memo noting that libraries have until August 31, 2007 to respond saying they’d like to participate in the pilot project.  Motion passed.

1) LRP project submission form 2007-04 submitted
http://automation.scls.lib.wi.us/committee/longrange/2007_Projects/Next%20Generation.pdf

2) the ALA report from the Migration Committee page
http://automation.scls.lib.wi.us/migration/horizon/committees/ALA%20Demo%20Functionality%20final%20version2.pdf
Julie and Vicki met with 4 vendors at ALA: SirsiDynix, Innovative Interfaces (iii), The Library Corporation (TLC) and a representative from LibLime, a company that provides maintenance for the open source product Evergreen.  When they returned, Vicki and Julie wrote a report on their findings and forwarded it to the members of the Migration Committees who approved the above recommendation.  This was a committee recommendation to LINK.  Motion passed.

The intent is to compare products that are working in libraries to avoid making choices based on promised rather than operating functionality.  If the release of SirsiDynix’s Symphony and/or the open source Acquisitions and Serials modules are delayed, then LINK will have to re-visit the waiting strategy.  Since Dynix Classic has been developed so extensively, LINK may have to make workflow alterations if the choice is to purchase one of the ILS products reviewed.

Circulation Services Committee: CSC recommends that the Circulation Support Specialist run a recall report every 6 months for the purpose of converting juvenile patrons to adults patrons, based on their birthdate. The reports will be sent to
individual libraries for review and changes.  The data in the guardian field of the patron record cannot be automatically modified.  D. Skalitzky moves for Heidi to run this report automatically every 6 months and libraries can request the report if they want.  A. Barnett seconds.  Can you run a report of ones that have something listed in the guardian to send to libraries?  Yes.  Vote: motion passed.  The CSC recommends to LINK that the average replacement cost for periodical ITYPEs O, P, and U should be $6.00; the average replacement cost for ILL ITYPEs N and Z should be $999.00 (to get their attention); and the rest of the ITYPES should have an average replacement cost of $25.00. These would be standard average replacement costs for all LINK Item Loan Types.  Vote: motion passed.  Recommendation to LINK to adopt these changes to LINK forms:

• LINK Fines to another Library: (purple) need to change “Owning” library to “Checkout” library at the top of the form.
LINK Lost & Paid form: (green) the instructions at the bottom of the form need to be updated. “Give receipt to patron and inform them of the LINK Uniform Refund policy.” Remove “send receipt to patron.”
LINK Lost & Paid Refund form: (yellow) change “due” date to “lost” date. Add the comment about the LINK Uniform refund policy at the end of the form.  There was a suggested revision to the changes to the LINK Lost & Paid form, instead of “inform patron of LINK Uniform Refund policy” the form should say “inform patron that refund limit is 6 months after Lost date”.  Vote: motion passed.

BSCC: Vicki reviewed the minutes from the last meeting.  Vicki will chair BSCC and Amy will chair UEPR.  Since we now have more than 50 Playaway titles, they should be cataloged and made available for holds.  The issue will be referred to CSC to determine how these items should be circulated.

UEPR: Amy reviewed the minutes from the last meeting.  The committee recommended to LINK that Automation staff will create “Don’t Miss Lists” of titles purchased with grant funds if the individual grant is a minimum of $25,000. The lists will be posted on individual library web sites, not on the main “Don’t Miss Lists” web page. Vote: motion passed.

JTC: The main discussion was a review of the projects proposed for the LSTA application for 2008 funds.  $2650 will be allocated for local digitization projects.  The committee is currently looking for materials digitization suggestions from libraries.  $500 will be allocated for testing an interactive wiki for giving better support to patrons/library staff on various databases.  $1100 will be allocated for a replacement server for Library Online.  $10,000 will be allocated for accessible work station upgrades for member libraries.  A portion is going to LINK, but the projects are getting approval from LINK committees first.  The committee also approved a project that will generate automatic temporary barcodes for patrons interested in remotely accessing the online databases.  They will be given a barcode that will expire in a couple weeks.  There is concern about vendors agreements, so the committee will go back and talk to them about this.   

Budget and Personnel – Did not meet.

Delivery Advisory: RTH parameters were discussed.  Bruce and Brinnan talked about presorting with Madison and this is still in review.  Cart implementation at all Dane County libraries was completed.  Delivery asked for standardization of ownership labels.   Please put the 3 letter agency code on the outside of an item if your library’s name isn’t listed on your barcode.  Revised golden rod forms were distributed.  RTH survived Harry Potter.  The committee has one recommendation to raise the threshold for when RTH kicks in from 5 to 10 holds.  A few patrons have figured this out and are putting their name on the hold list right after they returned it and basically “renewed” an item that wasn’t suppose to be renewed.  This change should alleviate the problem with libraries that have the only item.  Vote: motion defeated.

COMMUNICATION – A few libraries have called Heidi that urgently need barcodes.  She is going to do a mid-season order.  Please let her know if you would like to be included in this order.   

OTHER BUSINESS:

  1. Committee appointments:  Jean Anderson is coming off the PAC migration committee.  Tracy Herold from SUN will be replacing her.  Jean Anderson is no longer representing SUN on UEPR, so SUN has asked that Carol Iwanowski be added to represent them on UEPR.

 

  1. Increase max number of overdue items on ILL patron cards:  Right now the limit is 50.  Recommend increasing to 100.  J. Grogan moved approval.  J. Chase seconded.  Vote: motion passed.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:45 am.

         

For more information about LINK, contact LINK staff at (608) 266-6394.