South Central logo SCLS Home
SCLS Committees
LINK Committee
Search
 


LINK Minutes

February 12, 2009

Present: Adams County – Calef; Baraboo – MacDonald; Belleville – Christensen; Brodhead – Rosa; Cambridge – Behm; Columbus – Kindschi; Cross Plains – Bosben; DCLS – Chase; Deerfield – Fry; Lodi – Millard; Madison – Grogan, Lee; Marshall – Skalitzky; Mazomanie – Johnson; McFarland – Selle; Middleton – Westby; Monona – Plumb; Monroe – Guralski; New Glarus – Anton Wright; Oregon – Santner; Prairie du Sac – Endres; Plain – Palmer; Portage – Jensen; Poynette – Daugherty; Reedsburg – Steiner, Mobley; Rock Springs – LeMoine; Spring Green – Anderson; Sauk City – Heidenreich; Stoughton – Vache; Sun Prairie – Herold; Verona – Simons; Waunakee – Hedrick; Wisconsin Rapids – Barnett.

Absent: Black Earth, Cambria, DeForest, LaValle, Mt. Horeb, North Freedom, Pardeeville, Portage, Wisconsin Dells, Wyocena.

Also Present: Davis, Blough, Teal Lovely, Barniskis, Oliversen, Gannaway, Dries.

Call to Order:  The meeting was called to order at 10:08 am. 

Establishment of Quorum:  J. Endres reported that there was a quorum.

Changes or Additions to the Agenda:  Welcome to Susan Santner, the new director at ORE and Kris Daugherty, the new director at POY.  Kristine Millard is here today representing LDI and Erick Plumb is here representing MOO.  Welcome.  T. Herold would like to add gaming equipment in delivery in Other Business, Part C.  G. Rosa from BRD would like to add Procedure for entering patron names in Other Business, Part D.

Approval of the December 2008 Minutes: A. Barnett moved approval of the December 2008 Minutes. R. MacDonald seconded.  Motion: approved.

Treasurer’s Report:  The Budget and Personnel Committee will be meeting in March and April to talk about the 2010 budget.  New appointments to the committee will be added in the Other Business.

Project Manager’s Report: 

TUESDAY DOWNTIME
The root cause of the down time on Tuesday 2/10 was that the TAP Backup file reached its 2 GB limit. SirsiDynix staff traced this to the problems experienced with the RHA/ Holds Alert/Pick Lists that were being passed with multiple listings of the same title late last week and over the weekend.   With each pass the listing grew exponentially slowing the system down when attempts were made to display the huge reports.

Once the 2 GB limit was reached early Monday morning transactions could not be written to the file.  This in turn caused other TAP errors.  It appeared that the problem was solved on Monday when SirsiDynix created a new TAP Backup file, but additional serious errors prevented overnight processing from completing.  Tuesday’s error was traced to one corrupted PURF record.  Once the diagnosis was completed SirsiDynix was confident that all of the errors related to Monday’s trouble with the TAP files. Automation staff tested other major files and they were error free.  The corrupted file was fixed and then we had to catch up with overnight processing.  We also had to rebuild the RHA file to address the original problem.  After rebooting and completing a system backup of the cleaned up files, we were able to allow staff to use Dynix at 4:30 p.m.  iPAC was brought online a little later to allow the system to handle the PC Reliance uploads first.

The wiki proved to be a valuable resource for keeping people informed but Greg noted that there were suggestions for improvements.  One thing we observed before we had a wiki was when libraries waited for a call from us to find out the system was available, it meant PC Reliance uploads were naturally staggered.  On Tuesday the system was blasted with many simultaneous uploads because so many people were making frequent checks from 4 - 4:30 pm waiting for the go-ahead.  Luckily it didn't cause any serious problems but there were some reports of slow response time. We started reviewing the Guidelines for Downtime to determine where updates are needed.  One other thing should be noted.  The Help Desk received a call on Monday from someone reporting that they got an error message when filing a change in a patron record, but they didn’t record the details.  This could have been an alert to the PURF problem and points out how important it is to provide the Help Desk with details in these instances.

ELECTRONIC REPORTS
The conversion of the monthly and annual reports from paper to electronic format saves time and reams of paper.  It benefits Automation as well as Library staffs.  It took 3 hours less to complete the Year-end processing on January 1st so I am personally grateful to Cindy and Greg for their work on this improvement to report delivery.

NEW LINK LIBRARIES
Cottage Grove has requested updated costs for joining LINK.  Nekoosa, Rome and Rio had also requested costs but they aren’t ready to join at this point.

DYNIX AUDIT
The Dynix software and hardware maintenance audit has arrived and they have added a 5.75% markup which is a moderate increase.  The 2009 budgeted amount should cover the cost.

ITG SELFCHECKS
ITG SelfChecks have been ordered for Oregon and Waunakee.  This will be Waunakee’s first SelfCheck.  We’ve had some problems with the Sequoya installation that relates to lighting that interferes with the laser scanner.  Heidi is working with Madison and ITG staff.  Sun Prairie is preparing for RFID implementation.  They will have two mobile units to help with tagging the materials in the stacks.  

TEACH
TEACH Advisory Council met on January 28th.  They advised libraries and schools to revisit bandwidth provisioning and to request upgrades if expansion is expected.  Greg has analyzed logs of current use.   I will submit requests for increases based on expected need for the web-based Koha system.  I’m comparing the lower rates announced for January 1st to see if we’ve budgeted enough to cover higher bandwidth requests. 

Computer Systems Integrator’s Report:  Dynix file system work for which downtime was scheduled was not related to the unscheduled downtime we had earlier this week.  A storage array that backs Dynix is composed of multiple physical discs, but is presented to Operating system as one giant storage unit.  The part that is allocated to Dynix is a little too small.  We’ve had two scheduled downtimes scheduled to try to implement changes, but both attempts have failed.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  On a positive note, Operations staff have learned a lot.  They have written a script to delete some problematic temporary files.  We will have to schedule another 4-5 hour downtime window to get the procedure done.  This would be done on a Sunday starting at 6 am with the hope it would be done by 12 pm.  This will most likely be scheduled within a month.  The new Email server did arrive from Dell.  It’s been prepared and Operations staff are currently writing documentation for the switch from Eudora to Thunderbird.  There is cleanup you can do now in Eudora to make the transition much easier.  Some of the metadata with Eudora will be lost (color coding, labeling system, etc).  Some address book data will not migrate.  Pilot testing with SCLS staff will begin soon and when that is completed, mass installation will begin.  We hope to have everyone cut over before some new email services become available.  We estimate this process will take 6 months.  There are still quite a few Windows 2000 system machines on the network.  We want to get everyone on XP to ease automated updates.  Adobe reader 9, Java, and Firefox 3 will still be installed.  At some point, updates to the Windows 2000 PCs will end.  The Adobe reader update to patron stations was messier than we had hoped.  We believe the deployment to staff stations will be smoother.  Officer reader 2007 updates will go out to everyone.  Operations staff made enormous improvement to SMS and new scripts to inventory items.    

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Long Range Planning – Did not meet.  The committee has morphed into the LINK Governance Task Force for the time being. 

CSC – Did not meet in January.  Heidi will be sending out information about one of the bugs we discovered in the whole recent process of downtime.  Libraries need to review the status report at the end of picklist.  There are multiple pages to review and if library staff quit out before they review every page it contributes to this problem when there are with duplicate holds on the RHA.  The LINK RFID conversion cart is going out to SUN this afternoon.  If anyone is interested in seeing this being used in operation, please contact SUN. 

Software Applications Report:  Vicki prepared the Applications 2008 Statistics report.  This will be posted on the Automation web site after this meeting.  The primary focus this year was to select a new ILS.  However, we also listened to library staff, in a variety of forums including the annual site visits, and talked about what features were missing from Dynix that we may be able to provide.  We implemented as many of these features as possible.  An RFID conversion cart was researched and set up. Sun Prairie will be the first library to use it.  We provided libraries with access to RPPH, which allows library staff to search for patrons by phone number.  We implemented pre-overdue notices.  Amy worked on a software upgrade to LINKcat, which will be going on a brand new server that was set up by Greg.  Amy worked with Dynix to set up an all-keyword index, which was added yesterday.  We have also started the process to redesign the Automation web site.  Projects created by other staff in the Automation department include the standardization of the passwords on the Automation and SCLS Administration web sites, making it easier for library staff to access both sites, and the floating station number project, which will be discussed in the Other Business section. 

BSCC – Vicki reviewed the minutes.  The committee has one recommendation, which was not listed in the minutes, but was discussed later via email.  The committee recommends adding two new ISTATs: BKYFIFL and BKYNFFL.  J. Chase asked if we can we change foreign language to world language.  Vicki suggested this would be easier to implement during the migration.  Vote: motion passed. 

UEPR – Amy reviewed the minutes.  The new LINKcat PAC server and software upgrade implementation has been rescheduled for next Tuesday morning.  This will be done during regular LINKcat downtime. 

JTC - Did not meet.

Budget and Personnel – No report.  They will be appointing new members in the Other Business section. 

Delivery Advisory – Did not meet.  There is a statewide committee that is meeting.  We expect that SCLS Delivery will have a new web page up soon.  SCLS met with UW systems for the first time to work on drafting a new contract for statewide delivery because our contract ends in December.  They need a new Director of Procurement before we can continue the process of working on a new contract. 

Migration Committees - Did not meet.

ILS Implementation Committee:  The committee recommends spending $225,000 from the Trust funds for Koha software development in addition to the amount reserved for the purchase of a new ILS. A balance of $225,000 would remain.  Representatives of the Contract Committee met with the lawyer on February 5th and discussed the draft agreement with him.  He is going to put in more language to protect SCLS/LINK and then it will be sent to LibLime.  The Contract Committee merged three LibLime sample contracts to create the draft version.  We don’t know what LibLime’s response will be, as they don’t currently have a customer as complex as SCLS.  The Implementation Committee, with the recommendations from the Migration Committees, reviewed the software development list and the corresponding costs provided by LibLime.  Functionality missing from the current Koha product was prioritized for staged LINK implementation.  LibLime requires a down payment for software development and the remainder is invoiced at approval of specifications and upon acceptance of the new software.  There is a percentage (amount currently being negotiated) paid at Agreement signing for implementation services that will be initiated immediately after the signing.  The committee is envisioning that Koha will be the replacement for Dynix, but also it will be the product we use indefinitely and improve with enriched services.  It’s an investment.  We aren’t limited by a proprietary vendor’s unwillingness to enhance the software.  Vote: motion passed.

LINK Governance Task Force:  The Long Range Planning Committee has morphed into this task force for the time being.  They have had one meeting and will have another one in early March.  The committee consists of: Phyllis Davis (SCLS/Admin), Stef Morrill (SCLS/Admin), Susan Lee (MAD), Sue Steiner (REE), Denise Anton Wright (NGL), Lauren Blough (SCLS/LINK), Julie Chase (DCL), Pamela Westby (MID), Andy Barnett (MCM), Hans Jensen (POR), Barb Dimick (MAD), and Pat Dolan (SCLS/LINK).  The committee reviewed the results from the surveys and focus groups and focused on any comments having to do with governance, committees and decision making.  The committee discussed their charge, which was determined to be “to design a process so that this group plus any prospective LINK members could talk about some alternatives to the way we work.”  The committee has created a matrix for member input on how different decisions are made.  They hope to develop a plan for the next steps in the process for presentation at the next LINK meeting.  The Russells will facilitate a meeting at Olbrich Gardens on May 15th to get feedback from library staff on alternative governance models.  LINK Libraries are encouraged to send a representative.  This meeting is also recommended for any prospective libraries interested in joining LINK in the future.  Please to read the current LINK Agreement and Bylaws before the meeting. 

COMMUNICATION - Automation is currently working on redesigning web site.  Library staff that are interested can participate in a card sorting exercise today.   Please stay after the meeting, if you are interested.  We anticipate that it would take no longer than 30 minutes.

OTHER BUSINESS:

  1. Budgets and Personnel Committee Appointments: This committee will start to meet in March.  The Executive Committee has nominated the following members to be appointed to the committee: Barb Dimick, Tracy Herold, Brian Simons, Susan Hedrick, Julie Chase, Diana Skalitzsky.  A. Barnett seconded.  Vote: motion passed. 
  2. Floating Station Numbers: Automation is offering each library 2 floating station numbers that you can use however you wish.  Last fall, the following libraries participated in a pilot project: SUN, MID, ORE, STO.  Vicki read guidelines given to these libraries.  Cindy will also send these out when she sets up the new station numbers.  These station numbers can be helpful to have for serials and acquisitions work. 
  3. Gaming equipment in delivery: SUN asked that anyone who is using the SCLS gaming equipment (Wii, Dance Dance Revolution) and the wireless lab to make sure it gets packaged with everything in it before you send it on to the next library.   
  4. Procedure for adding patrons:  BRD is receiving patron card applications from other libraries with initials in place of names.  BRD requires a photo ID as confirmation.  Their internal policy states that the name in the record must match the name on their photo ID says.  Please contact the library who sent the incomplete form to resolve the problem. 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 am.