South Central logo SCLS Home
SCLS Committees
LINK Committee
Search
 


LINK Minutes

August 13, 2009


Present: Adams County – Calef; Baraboo – MacDonald; Brodhead – Rosa; Cambridge – Behm; Cross Plains – Bosben; Deerfield – Fritsche; DeForest – Berg; Lodi – Priewe; Madison – Susan Lee; McFarland – Selle; Middleton – Westby; Mt. Horeb – Unruh; New Glarus – Anton Wright; Oregon – Santner; Pardeeville – Yurgil; Prairie du Sac – Endres; Reedsburg – Steiner, Mobley; Sauk City – Heidenreich; Stoughton – Vache; Sun Prairie – Herold; Verona – Simons; Waunakee – Hedrick; Wisconsin Rapids – Barnett.

Absent: Belleville, Cambria; Dane County, LaValle, Marshall, Mazomanie, Monona, Monroe, North Freedom, Plain, Portage, Poynette, Rock Springs, Spring Green, Wisconsin Dells, Wyocena.

Also Present: Morrill, Blough, Teal Lovely, Barniskis, Oliversen, Gannaway, Dries.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 10:05 am.

Establishment of Quorum: J. Endres reported that there was a quorum.

Changes or Additions to the Agenda: None.

Approval of Minutes from the June 2009 Meeting: Vote: minutes approved.

Treasurer’s Report: The Budget and Personnel Committee did meet on July 17th to review the position description for the Automation Project Manager. This will be discussed in the Other Business section.

Project Manager’s Report: Thanks to everyone who submitted the requested
information for the DOA Broadband Fiber Grant application. The deadline for
submission is August 14th so there was a very short interval for compiling all the data they requested. We are in the process of coordinating SelfCheck orders for MCM and BAR. If anyone else is interested in this round, please let Lauren know as soon as possible. We are trying to get the order in soon so that installations will be completed before the November SCLS offices move. 2010 ITG maintenance estimates were emailed last week. The costs were pro-rated if the equipment had remaining warranty coverage. Maintenance estimates for 3M machines will have to be requested from 3M.
Projects we’re working on now include the Koha migration, SCLS move planning, Thunderbird migration, new email server problems, transition with Tech Governance and Year End processing schedules. With all of these projects, it’s almost impossible to take on anything new right now. We are organizing events over the November 20th – 23rd weekend to keep the downtime to a minimum during the move.

Computer Systems Integrator’s Report: The Thunderbird migration is ongoing. 24 agencies are complete. The project is on track to finish in mid-September and has been going well. Pat wanted to mention that there have been a lot of help desk calls that could have been avoided if staff had time to be focused on just the migration. Try to set aside some time and it should go smoothly. The hardware on the new email server decided to
die and we did a rollback two days later. It has been stable since. Greg has been working with Dell extensively. A technician came out and gutted the server and load testing resumed. This will continue for about a week before we schedule another attempt at the upgrade. This will require another two hour downtime window when most libraries are closed. The Antivirus software is 99% converted and is catching things that TrendMicro
never did. It also has much better reporting on workstation status and security as a whole. Adobe reader 9 does not work well and another upgrade will need to be done soon.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Long Range Planning – Did not meet.

CSC – Did not meet.

BSCC – Did not meet.

UEPR – Did not meet.

JTC – The committee met in June. They discussed the approval of the LSTA 2010 Tech Block grant package. The minutes will be posted soon.

Budget – reported earlier in the meeting.

Delivery Advisory – Did not meet.

Migration Committees – In the future, this will be moved up on the Agenda as #8 and will be called “Migration Report”. We will remove the current #8, h. “Migration Committees” from future agendas. Applications staff attended several Koha User’s groups at ALA and also met with LibLime staff. There was a slow down in development right before ALA, but things have sped up since. The Acquisitions module was still being written as of ALA. WALDO is currently testing it. We should be able to look at it in September or October. Applications staff met with the LibLime data services team to discuss codes. We have set the migration date for September, 2010.

Migration Oversight Committee – The committee met before LINK. They reviewed a short list of development projects that were postponed or cut. Overall consensus was reached. The committee will meet as needed.

LINK Governance Task Force: The basic description of the proposed organization has been posted and we are asking for feedback. The next meeting will be held on September 18th to discuss the whole governance structure. Registration is currently open. On August 17th and September 8th listening sessions will be held for library staffs. The Task Force has approved the basic concept and they are working on ILS contract draft and a
description of how elections will work. We will have a calendar for the first year. The Task Force is planning to meet again on the last Monday of August to work with the Russells. We hope that on September 18th we can get a consensus or an idea of your concerns. Once those are addressed the proposal and ILS contract will go to library boards for approval.

COMMUNICATION – None.

OTHER BUSINESS:

1. Technology Project Manager Ad and Position Description. SCLS has
received some feedback. They have incorporated comments from the Budget
Committee and PLAC. MLS would be a plus, but it is not required. We are still looking for feedback. The position description will be made public on Monday.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:32 am.