South Central logo SCLS Home
SCLS Committees
SCLS Board of Trustees


Search
 


SCLS Board of Trustees

Minutes

May 12, 2008 12:15 p.m.
SCLS Administration

Present:  R. Barden, E. DeSmidt, M. Furgal, J. Hanson, J. Healy-Plotkin, T. Iaccarino, B. Keen, T. McIlroy, S. Martin, N. Nelson, G. Poulson, J. Pugh, L. Schmidt, P. Townsend

Also Present:  H. Moe, S. Morrill
Absent:           G. Markle, J. Morre
Excused:         F. Cherney, L. Davis-Brown, J. Kreten, P. Westby

 Call to Order: J. Pugh, V. Chair, called the meeting to order at 12:20 p.m.  Francis Cherney, President, is at Library Legislative Day in Washington D.C.

  1. Introduction of guests/visitors and new board members: Mike Furgal, newly appointed Green County trustee, Sue Martin, newly appointed Columbia County trustee, and Dave O’Dahl with Wegner & Associates were introduced. 
  2. Changes/additions to the agenda: None
  3. Requests to address the board: None

Everyone introduced themselves to the new board members.

Minutes: G. Poulson moved approval of the May 12, 2008 minutes.  B. Keen seconded. Motion carried.

Bills for Payment/Financial Statements: T. Iaccarino reviewed the bills for payment in the amount of $158,913.16 and moved approval.  J. Hanson seconded.  Motion carried.   

President's Report:  None.

Committee Reports: 
Facilities:  J. Hanson noted the committee met last month.  A developer has come forward with a plan for the construction of a new library for the Madison Public Library on its current site.  The MPL board voted to go ahead with the RFP.  This will have an impact on the Automation staff and the servers and other technology related to LINK because they are located in the Madison Public Library.  Stef and Phyllis will be meeting with Lauren Blough to begin the process of discussing options for the automation staff location.  Combining the automation and administration staff at one location is an option, but would not occur until the lease for SCLS Admin expires in December 2009.  There is probably not enough available space for both departments at our current location.

Audit Report:  Dave O’Dahl, Wegner & Associates, presented the audit report. He noted there were no problems with the audit.  Discussion and questions followed and the board unanimously accepted the report as presented.

SCLS Foundation Report:  Stef noted the foundation provided funding for the Dia de los Ninos at the South Madison Branch, which was a big success with over 150 kids in attendance.

Circulation and ILL Statistics:  No report.

System Director's Report: 

Phyllis was not present due to the passing of her mother.  The board extended their sympathies.

Stef noted at a recent SRLAAW meeting (which is a meeting of the library system directors and the directors of the resource libraries), Kathy Schneider, the director of WiLS, presented information about possible changes to the relationship with WiLS and OCLC.  WiLS is a membership organization, based in Madison, which provides interlibrary loan services and other services to libraries in the state.  One of their big roles is to act as a broker for OCLC products.  We use OCLC for cataloging, resource sharing, and our virtual reference service and we rely on WiLS for support, training, new product demonstration, and billing for these products.
The change being proposed would not allow WiLS to charge surcharges on the OCLC products or to charge a mandatory membership fee to be part of the organization.  OCLC's rationale is that they want national pricing.  Because there are other organizations like WiLS around the country acting as brokers for OCLC products, OCLC does not want these broker organizations to be able to determine surcharges.  We don't know what the impact on pricing may be and we don’t know what effect this will have on WiLS partnership with OCLC.  There will be a survey sent to measure library's interests and concerns and we'll be responding to that, as well as sending a statement of support to the WiLS Board.  Stef will keep you up to date on this issue as more information is available.
In the past, any group purchasing of databases was done as a group of ALL member libraries.  This is changing to allow the libraries that would like to purchase more to have a mechanism to do so, and the libraries that do not want certain things to not have to pay for them.  Cheryl Becker coordinated a survey of member libraries about the system-wide databases and the great news is that libraries voted to keep almost all of the databases for all of the libraries.  Only 2 databases, Literature Resource Center and ReferenceUSA, did not meet the "keep as system" criteria.  Literature Resource Center was popular enough that SCLS will be kicking in the difference to maintain this database systemwide.  ReferenceUSA is another matter and Cheryl is working with the vendor to renegotiate for the interested libraries.

The annual meeting was held last week with over 60 people registered to attend.  The focus was "the future" and the morning speakers were Tom McBride and Ron Nief of Beloit College who discussed the "Beloit Mindset List" and some characteristics of "Generation Y".  In the afternoon, we held small group discussions about different topics.  Notes from the small group discussions will be posted soon and may be of interest to the emerging issues committee. 

Last week, Bruce Smith, Stef and Francis Cherney, participated in the COLAND Visioning Summit we've mentioned a few times.  It was an interesting process.  There were small workgroups on a variety of topics and those workgroups created presentations of 3-5 key issues to consider.  Presentations were given at the beginning of the 2nd day.  Then the concepts from the presentations were culled into themes.  The work from the Summit will be used to create a "Beginnings" report that will be presented to COLAND at their meeting at the end of this month.  After that, the public (including us) will have time to respond.  The items in the report may impact proposals DPI will make for the next budget cycle.

Stef and Phyllis are working on a variety of budget items right now.  LINK will be presenting and passing their budget at the June LINK meeting.  Their budget committee met last week to discuss the budget for 2009 and also some mid-year budget adjustments.  We will include these adjustments in the mid-year budget presented to the Board in June.  Stef and Phyllis also met with Delivery to talk about their mid-year budget and the outlook for 2009.  In mid-year, not surprisingly, they are going to be requesting a significant increase for fuel.  They have also asked for an increase for equipment as they make changes to trucks and buy carts to put the Columbia and Sauk County routes on cart delivery. 
Two reports of interest have come out this month and will be included in the board mailing next month.  One is the "Best Practices" report from the Legislative Audit Bureau.  That group is occasionally charged with determining "best practices" for different organizations, like EMS, etc.  None of the "Best Practices" were really earth-shattering from our perspective, but the report does give a nice summary of funding and governance of libraries in the state.  The other report is an Economic Impact study of library service in Wisconsin.  The bottom line is $4.06.  That's the return for each $1.00 spent on library service.  The Board will receive the executive summary of that report.
The first step toward replacing the videoconferencing equipment by installing additional bandwidth occurred last week.  The next step is testing with Portage County.
Last month, we mentioned we were investigating the possibility of getting a 501(c)(3) for SCLS.  Since that time, we’ve talked to DPI, and they are discouraging it.  At the same time, Bob Bocher from DPI has been working with the American Library Association (ALA) to encourage ALA to ask Google to consider libraries as educational institutions.
Next month:  There will be a report from Susan Hedrick of the Waunakee Public Library about a floating collections project in Dane County.
The Budget &Finance and Personnel committees will meet for the 2008 mid-year budget revisions and the Emerging Issues Committee, System Celebration, and Facilities committee need to meet in June.  The By-Laws Committee will meet in July.

Information Sharing:  None.

Public Library Advisory Committee (PLAC) Report:

Multitype Advisory Committee (MALC) Report:

LINK Report:

Agenda and Minutes for the above committees can be found on the web at: http://www.scls.info/committees/index.html

Other Business
a.  Review need for Cross Border Committee:  P. Townsend moved the committee be dissolved and re-activated if needed.  R. Barden seconded.  Motion carried.

The SLP video will be shown at the June meeting.

Gary Poulson requested a sympathy card be sent to Phyllis Davis on behalf of the board.  He also requested that the former trustees be sent the same SCLS mug that the members present received.  Stef asked that the trustees bring these mugs to the board meetings to cut down on waste.

Meeting adjourned at 1:14 p.m.

For more information about the Board of Trustees, contact Heidi Moe.