South Central logo SCLS Home
Committees Home
PLAC Home

Search
 


Public Library Advisory Committee (PLAC)
Minutes

Thursday, April 3, 2008
SCLS Administration

Present: Belongia, Calef, Davis, Friesen, Jensen, MacDonald, McCabe, Morrill, Palmer, Shaffer, Stack,
Wright

CALL TO ORDER:  R. MacDonald called the meeting to order at 10:04 a.m.

CHANGES/ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA:
Rose Ziech, the newly hired Web Services Specialist at SCLS, was introduced to members of PLAC.
Dan Calef asked that the discussion topic be tabled until the next meeting and asked that PLAC share their experiences from PLA instead.  PLAC agreed.

MINUTES: M. Palmer moved approval of the March 6, 2008 minutes.  H. Jensen seconded.  Motion carried.

SCLS REPORT:

Phyllis noted there is nothing new to report regarding the State budget.

The Automation staff is hosting software demonstrations for Polaris, Innovative Interfaces and SirsiDynix throughout the month of April.

The state has asked for a delivery budget for next year, but the continuing rise of gas prices creates a difficult problem in creating an accurate budget so far ahead of time.

Phyllis received materials for the LSTA Advisory Committee meeting and it looks like the delivery grant will be funded at the same level as last year, which will result in an increase in costs for other systems in order to make up the difference.

Dunham has canceled their delivery to Superior, so their contract has been discontinued and the service is now being handled by Waltco.

Bruce Smith had a booth at PLA to market our delivery carts.  Many libraries are looking for solutions to material handling and Bruce distributed almost 100 DVD’s to those interested in our carts.

Phyllis, Stef, and Bruce attended a Tech Logic meeting at PLA to discuss automated materials handling for delivery.  It appears the up-front investment is too great for the payback at this time.

Phyllis thanked all the delivery staff for their hard work and noted that the driver appreciation week was a great morale boost for the delivery staff.

National Library Week is coming up and April 15th is National Library Workers Day.

The COLAND Committee has asked SCLS to discuss resource sharing at their July meeting.

Stef noted the technology planning committee met for the first time and has recommended some changes to the proposed process, which we will make.  We have formed 3 teams to work on portions of the process:  one will work on getting feedback from members and staff, one will work on looking at decision-making processes related to technology in other consortium from the library world, other non-profits, and business, and one will work on looking at future trends and technology research.  The groups will get back together in May, and go from there.  We are hoping to complete the process by the end of the year.

The annual meeting is May 7th!  We’ll be getting the registration out soon.  There will be tours of Delivery and an Arboretum presentation.  The keynote speakers will be the Beloit Mindset people, and the focus of the day will be “the future” and change and planning.  We hope to have it as casual as last year.

OverDrive has announced that they will have MP3 audiobooks available sometime this summer.  These files will be useable on iPods, so we’ll be able to reach a new market. There will only be 3000 titles available to start, but this amount should increase as time goes on.

WAPL is April 30-May 2nd in Stevens Point.  Many SCLS staff will be speaking at the conference, and we would encourage you all to attend.

This is the last week for Project Play.  We’ve had a number of people complete the course.  SCLS staff will be meeting with our cohorts in OWLS and Winnefox to discuss how we might continue this project.  We’re thinking about short “play dates” which could be OPAL sessions.

We’re looking for ideas for LSTA 2009 projects, in technology or other areas.  It’s a little early (since the categories haven’t been finalized), but we won’t meet again until June. Please think about it and let me know if you have ideas.

Stef received an email from Roslyn Thony from Rio saying that the cost of the Reedsburg option for DVD cleaning was too high, so they will continue with their one-at-a-time machine for right now. 

Committee Reports:

Building Blocks workshop:   45 – 50 people have registered for the Building Blocks Workshop, which precedes the Arbuthnot lecture on April 16th.  It’s an all-day workshop that is being held at the Overture Center in Madison.  There will be 6 sessions that address ways libraries can include early math skills and themes in their youth programs.  Participants are coming from all over the system, state and from IL and KY.  SCLS libraries can apply for CE funds to cover the $30 registration fee and libraries participating in the 2008 LSTA literacy grant may use some of their grant funds to cover this workshop expense. 
Culver’s National Library Week Program:  Most SCLS libraries are participating in this year’s NLW program – kids draw a picture, bring it back to the library for a coupon for free custard and enter their drawing for a grand prize. 
Online SLP registration & Teen Book Discussion Blog:  Shawn will work with Rose to set up these popular services and collect names of libraries who want to participate in both of these services as well as book suggestions for the Teen blog. 
SLP School Visit Video:  Stop by Shawn’s office to see the balled-up cockroach costume that Peter Hamon wore, for 4 hours, while we filmed the SLP school visit video at Cross Plains on March 18!  Pam Bosben and Catherine Baer of CSP, and a troupe of middle-schoolers, lent their acting skills and this year’s video is going to be a great one.  Libraries can request DVD or VHS (we recommend DVD) copies of the video for all the elementary schools they visit, to use on promotional visits and to run on community access TV.  This year we plan on posting the video to TeacherTube.  Contact Shawn or Mark for more info. 
SLP planning:  We’re in the middle of SLP planning so that means we’re counting out State Park passes and making flyers and brochures for the upcoming summer programs. 

OTHER BUSINESS:

Delivery distribution of materials:  PLAC agreed that any items distributed through delivery from outside sources to the libraries should be non-profit or state funded and preferably not include political or religious content.  PLAC expressed appreciation for the email Tim Drexler sends letting libraries know what is being delivered, but suggested a smaller circle of distribution for specific items. 

DISCUSSION: 
H. Jensen, D. Anton Wright, M. Palmer, B. Stack, R. McCabe, Stef and Phyllis shared their
PLA experiences.

Potpourri:

Meeting adjourned at 11:18 a.m.                             

The next meeting will be June 5, 2008  (There will NOT be a May meeting)

Heidi Moe, Recorder

 

For more information about the Public Library Advisory Committee, contact Heidi Moe.