South Central Library System (SCLS)
Field Services Technician
General Position Description:
The South Central Library System (SCLS) seeks a Field Services Technician. The primary responsibility is to provide front-line support in the field at libraries and through the help desk at SCLS headquarters. SCLS provides dynamic technical support for over 1400 PCs and the network for 57 public library sites. See attached position description for more details.
The South Central Library System is a friendly work environment, with excellent benefits!
Regular work hours are from 8:30 am and 5:00 pm M-F (minimum of 40 hours) with some flexibility; Work cell phone provided; Work is primarily on site at member libraries or at SCLS Headquarters, but there may be some possibility for remote work opportunities.
We are looking for someone who loves computers and technology of all kinds, has the ability to share that enthusiasm with customers and teammates, and has a knack for solving problems. Excellent communication skills and organizational abilities are a must!
The Field Services Technician will:
• Assist library personnel via the telephone and email in performing trouble-shooting procedures
• Monitor email, Help Desk ticketing software and other channels for ticket help requests and resolve or assign tickets to others as appropriate
• Diagnose a variety of hardware, software and network failures and take appropriate action to resolve the problem
• Install, configure, and maintain SCLS-supported software
• Provide frontline support for problems with the library catalog software (ILS) and various SCLS databases and products and other SCLS supported systems as assigned
• Provide tier one support for other SCLS supported systems as assigned
• Enter support instances into the problem-tracking database
• Refer unresolved problems to appropriate SCLS technology and ILS staff for escalation
• Install, configure, troubleshoot, and repair computer hardware and peripherals.
• Test and troubleshoot internal cabling and network hardware, and in consultation with the PC and Server Support Technician or Network Administrator, take corrective action
• Arrange for the exchange and replacement of malfunctioning equipment to and from member libraries
• Perform periodic preventive maintenance on computer equipment and peripherals.
• Document procedures and maintain knowledge base
• Document information regarding work completed when in the field.
• Maintain wireless labs
• Maintain spares pool
Required Qualifications: Associate degree in Information Technology or related field, supplemented by a minimum of 1 year of experience with technical support of PC hardware, network equipment and peripheral equipment. Help Desk experience desirable. Knowledge and skill with any of the following areas: Active Directory, Windows Group Policy, Windows Deployment Tools, network hardware, wireless networks are desirable.
Other Requirements: Position requires good oral and written communication skills. Must have physical capability to transport and install computer equipment and peripherals. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Must be able to travel independently. Must have access to a car. Must be able to provide proof of auto insurance and a copy of a valid driver’s license annually. A flexible schedule is required. Ability to perform tasks accurately with minimum supervision. Must be self-motivated and detail oriented.
Starting Salary: $48,620
Application Deadline: 2/17/2023
How To Apply:
Find the application online at http://www.scls.info/hr/jobs/SCLS_headquarters_application.pdf and attach your resume, three references, and cover letter outlining your qualifications and vision for this position. E-mail submissions to Kerrie Goeden, HR & Finance Coordinator, at no later than 2/17/2023. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview after the closing date. Position is available immediately. To be considered, applicants must meet the Required Qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. This position is primarily on-site.