SCLS Administrative Council

Draft Minutes

Thursday, January 19, 2017
SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room
10:00 a. m.

 

Action Items: 

Approved the 2017 Slate of officers:  Lauren White, Chair; and Meg Allen, Vice-chair

 

Present:  A. Barnett (6), W. Rawson (8), T. Herold (9-10), S. Lee (11-13), C. Fesemyer (2), M. Allen (5), E. Plumb (7), L. Oathout (4), L. White (3)
(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 

Also Present:  M. Ibach, M. Van Pelt, C. Baumann

Excused: E. Foley (1)

1.      Call to Order: Chair W. Rawson called the meeting to order at 10:02 a.m.  

a.       Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.      Changes/Addition to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Council – policy: None 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes:  December 15, 2016.  E. Plumb moved approval of the 12/15/2016 minutes.  T. Herold seconded.  Motion carried.

3.      Action items: 

a.        Vote for 2017 officers:  Lauren White, Chair; Meg Allen, Vice-Chair:  T. Herold moved approval of the slate of officers as presented.  S. Lee Seconded.  Motion carried.  W. Rawson passed the gavel to L. White.

4.      Reports of action of committees/workgroups

a.      Delivery Committee- C. Baumann discussed weather related issues with delivery and the MLK holiday back up of items.  J. Grandt Turke supervises the routes for MPL, MID, and MOO.  He would like to conduct a pilot program of face to face discussions with these libraries to determine what libraries would like from delivery.  He would begin this in February and the Delivery committee will discuss this topic in further detail.  The long range goal would be to expand this dialog with other libraries.  If libraries have any feedback, please let Corey know.  The PLSR will restart 2/9/17 in Mauston.  Corey also volunteered to serve on a PLSR “Topic Group.”

You may view the minutes of the last Delivery meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/dc/index.html

b.       ILS Committee – S. Lee noted the action items from the December meeting.  Nekoosa went live on Koha 1/3/17 and A. Gannaway has been testing the Get It upgrade.  M. Van Pelt noted ALS responded to SCLS and requested a demonstration of Koha.  Vicki Teal Lovely, Amy Gannaway, Heidi Oliversen and M. Van Pelt will provide a demo in Beloit on February 10th.  There will be a 30 minute Q&A following the 1 hour demo.  ALS has provided a list of questions they would like to see addressed in the demonstration. 

C. Fesemyer asked about receiving a report of how many bounced emails occurred on MailChimp

You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/ic/index.html.

c.       Technology Committee – The Badgernet Teach contract has been signed and funding has been announced.  The Teach rate has been reduced to $100/month as of 7/20/16.  In the future only the SCLS HQ line will be $150\month.  All Badgernet lines will be upgraded between 2/17 and 12/17.  The staff Mobile hotspot pilot project concluded 12/23.  The patron pilot will continue until 2/23.  If you want more information go to the technology news blog.  Windows 10 has been tested and will be implemented on new pcs only.

You may view the minutes and the technology report of the last meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/tc/index.html.

d.      Consultants – M. Ibach:  You may view the report online.  J. Anderson is the WLA president.  Carrie Portz has been hired as the new director at the Spring Green library.  Her start date is 2/1/17.  S. Brommer is working with ORE, SKC, PDS on a joint strategic plan.  SLP is starting to gear up.  The Annual report is up and going - two libraries have already completed their annual report!! The website redesign is moving along.  There may be some delay issues since G. Barniskis resigned, but there is funding in the budget to possibly hire outside help.     

e.       Library Innovation Subcommittee - M. Ibach: Will discuss All Directors meeting details regarding community needs, etc.  Working on the workforce innovation and opportunities act.  In March there will be meetings of the workforce development boards and librarians are encouraged to attend to discuss the continuation of social services and aspects of what libraries are being faced with today. 
You may view the minutes of the last meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/innovation/index.html
 

f.        2018 Budget Timeline – M. Van Pelt: 

5.   Items from clusters for initial discussion:   C. Fesemyer inquired whether she should be replaced on the AC due to possible conflicts of interest because of her appointment to the MPL board. The members were comfortable having her remain and simply recusing herself at the appropriate time. 

6.   Other discussion:

a.       Reminder to register to attend WLA Legislative Day, Tuesday February 21st.  January 20th is the deadline to register for a legislative appointment – register.  CE grants will pay for the registration fee.

b.      Cost Formula Work Group – recommending no need this year to look at 2018 fees.  Will vote at the February meeting to determine if the Cost Formula Work Group is needed.

c.       Topics for AC to address this year.

d.      2017 All Directors meeting:  March (DFT)- service priorities; May (STP) - Assign rough figures, dot exercises; July (WID) – vote, afternoon fun; November – CE and precedes the Cornerstone.

e.       Annual cluster Representative Training & Refresher:  M. Van Pelt reviewed the cluster representative job description and meeting protocols.  The handout is here. 

7.   Meeting evaluation and summary: 

8.   Next meeting:  February 16, 2017

Meeting adjourned at 10:51 a.m.

H. Moe, recorder.

AC/minutes/1-19-2017

For more information about the Administrative Council, contact Martha Van Pelt.  SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.