SCLS Administrative Council

Draft Minutes

Thursday, February 16, 2017
SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room
10:00 a. m.

 

Action Items: 

Approved that there will not be a cost formula work group to review 2018 fees.

 

Present:  E. Foley (1), A. Barnett (6), W. Rawson (8), T. Herold (9-10), S. Lee (11-13), C. Fesemyer (2), M. Allen (5), E. Plumb (7), L. Oathout (4), L. White (3), M. Spellman, M. Navarre Saaf
(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 

Also Present:  M. Ibach, M. Van Pelt, C. Baumann, V. Teal Lovely

Excused:

1.      Call to Order: Chair L. White called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.  

a.       Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.      Changes/Addition to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Council – policy: None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes:  January 19, 2017.  W. Rawson moved approval of the 1/19/2017 minutes.  E. Plumb seconded.  Motion carried.

3.      Action items: 

a.       There will not be a Cost Formula Work Group to review 2018 fees.  Need another year to see how things play out.  T. Herold moved approval of not having a Cost Formula Work Group to review 2018 fees.  W. Rawson seconded.  Motion carried.

4.      Reports of action of committees/workgroups

a.      Delivery Committee- C. Baumann – met 2/9.  Discussed the issue of special handling and how to implement.  Will obtain foam filled containers to deliver computer items to SCA.  Bubble filled bag, Fed Ex document helped to start discussion of the guidelines libraries can use.
Will add the materials in the next few weeks and announce via email.  Will determine if obtain more.  Visits will begin at MPL branches, as well as FCH, MOO, MID.  Outlying members were offered this as well, but feedback indicated it was not needed.  Taizo Murakami was hired as a full time driver and is in training for the primary backup on long routes.  PLSR update – met last week 2/9.  Delivery workgroup charted out the next 12 months of activity.  Corey will be providing a budget template and categories that could be used for other hubs – fleet, employee cost, etc.  Corey also volunteered to join a topic team – selected to represent our delivery department.  Will meet 2/29.

You may view the minutes of the last Delivery meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/dc/index.html

b.       ILS Committee – V. Teal Lovely – Met 2/1.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/ic/index.html.

c.       Technology Committee – V. Teal Lovely Met 2/1. You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/tc/index.html

d.      Library Innovation Subcommittee - M. Ibach:  Met 2/6.  Discussed the afternoon program that will occur at the March All Directors meeting.  Identifying community needs, what libraries are doing to address those needs, what tools can be used, etc.   From this discussion, webinars, training projects, and efforts to help libraries address their needs will be provided.  Also discussed was an immigration focus program that was provided in a restaurant to discuss racially and ethnically different people in order to create an understanding among people.  Resources are available for libraries to participate in programs addressing greater community understanding. 

The SCLS Foundation has funds available and is asking for suggestions on how to spend them.  Translation services were a suggestion.    
You may view the minutes of the last meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/innovation/index.html

 

5.   Items from clusters for initial discussion:  
Columbia County inquired whether service priorities will be discussed at the March meeting.  Yes, they will be. Any voting dot exercises will take place in May.
 

6.   Other discussion:

March All Directors Agenda:  handout provided. 

7.   Meeting evaluation and summary: 

 

8.   Next meeting:  March 16, 2016 – All Directors at DeForest Community Library:  M. Van Pelt would like to provide a discussion regarding joining the SCLS Foundation – C. Fesemyer noted folks could bring a library trustee or friend of the library to receive more information about the Foundation.  E. Foley asked for detailed information to take to her board.  AC is good with the All Directors agenda.
There will be a budget webinar March 10th at 11 a.m.

Meeting adjourned at 10:40 a.m.

H. Moe, recorder.

AC/minutes/2-16-2017

For more information about the Administrative Council, contact Martha Van Pelt.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.