SCLS Administrative Council

Draft Minutes

Thursday, April 20, 2017
SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room
10:00 a. m.

 

Action Items: 

Approved to recommend the 2018 Statutory Resource Services Agreement

Approved to recommend the 2018 Supplementary Services Resource Contract

Approved to recommend the Agreement to Participate in SCLS Technology Services


Present:
  E. Foley (1), C. Fesemyer (2), L. White (3), M. Allen (5), A. Barnett (6), E. Plumb (7), W. Rawson (8),

T. Herold (9-10), M. Gartler (11-13)
(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 

Also Present:  M. Ibach, M. Van Pelt, C. Baumann, V. Teal Lovely

Excused:  L. Oathout (4)

1.      Call to Order: Chair L. White called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.  

a.       Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.      Changes/Addition to the Agenda: None

c.       Requests to address the Council – policy: None 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes:  February 16th AC minutes, March 16th All Directors meeting.  E. Plumb moved approval of the 2/16/17 AC minutes and 3/16/17 All Directors minutes.  M. Allen seconded.  Motion carried.

3.      Action items: 

a.       Agreement Recommendations – see discussion below, please discuss with clusters.   There are no changes recommended.  Will be discussed at the All Directors meeting.  Need recommendation by AC committee. 

W. Rawson moved approval to recommend the 2018 Statutory Resource Services Agreement. T. Herold seconded.  Motion carried.

C. Fesemyer moved approval to recommend the 2018 Supplementary Services Agreement.  E. Plumb seconded.  Motion carried.

T. Herold moved approval to recommend the 2018 Agreement to Participate in SCLS Technology Services Agreement. W. Rawson seconded.  Motion carried.

4.      Reports of action of committees/workgroups

a.      Delivery Committee- C. Baumann –You may view the minutes of the last Delivery meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/dc/index.html.  The 2016 volume sample was provided as well as a PLSR update.  The PLSR topic team is looking to establish a baseline map to start the discussion of where the hub locations may be and where the borders will be – need more definition.   There are budget concerns regarding the UW contract – they would like the amount paid reduced by $50,000, but want 5 day a week delivery instead of 4 currently.  If we lose IMLS funding as well as a reduction in the UW Madison contract, state aid would have to make up that difference, and libraries will feel the effects of the reduced funding. 
A question was raised about whether there has been a study of how many items are placed on hold, delivered to a member library and then not picked up by the patron.   Libraries made it easy for patrons to do so, but is there something that can be done to get patrons to pick up their holds.  Any precedent for fining patrons?   If a book is delivered to a library could that library keep the item until another hold is placed?  The cost is the trip, not necessarily the volume.

b.       ILS Committee – V. Teal Lovely – Met 4/5.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/ic/index.html.

c.       Technology Committee – V. Teal Lovely Met 4/5. You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/tc/index.html

d.      Library Innovation Subcommittee - M. Ibach:      
You may view the minutes of the last meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/innovation/index.html
Libraries were requested to think about ways to use the foundation money.  Translation services were suggested, but it needs to be used and benefited by all libraries.  The interpreter’s cooperative was suggested as well. The foundation is meeting next week and they will discuss the possibility of funding WISCAT costs. 

e.       Consultants: You may view the report here.

f.        PLSR:  A program will be provided on Thursday at WAPL as well as a town hall meeting.  Staff has listened in on the PLSR steering committee and subcommittee of HR.  Several people on AC serve on workgroups.  In regard to the mapping, the definition of regions is being discussed.  Don’t need to be guided by delivery map.  Each area has capability of determining service areas.  Meeting in June – what do regions look like regarding CE and consulting services.  Some consulting will not be bound to one area.  Their three subgroups are administration, help center and services.  The administration group is trying to figure out what the central entities role versus regional roles to determine what is needed.
Things will change, and it will affect all libraries – no need to panic, but please be informed and aware.  Patron experience should be the top priority (resource sharing).   Pay attention when PLSR sends emails that state red alert.
It was suggested a parking lot be created to contain scenarios that libraries envision and questions they would like addressed.  
This will be discussed at the afternoon of the May All Directors meeting and members are encouraged to discuss their concerns and questions.
It was suggested that the discussion be facilitated and perhaps start our own parking lot.   Do small group discussions?  Yes.  How break up into small groups?  Start with a question and give individuals time and the opportunity to vocalize internal thoughts.  Give overview of whole group and include SCLS staff and members involved in the PLSR process in the breakout sessions
 

5.   Items from clusters for initial discussion:  

6.   Other discussion:

a.         Review Resource Library contracts – take recommendation to May All Directors; AC votes in June along with SCLS Board on final contracts approval (NO CHANGES RECOMMENDED BY MAD AND SCLS)

http://www.scls.info/committees/workgroups/2017StatutoryResource.pdf

http://www.scls.info/committees/workgroups/2017SupplementaryServices.pdf

 

b.         Review Technology Services agreement – take recommendation to May All Directors; AC votes in June along with SCLS Board on final agreement approval (NO CHANGES RECOMMENDED)

http://www.scls.info/committees/workgroups/2015TechServicesAgreement.pdf

 

c.         July All Directors meeting afternoon activities; host is Kilbourn Public Library in the Dells. Need volunteers to set these up!   The morning session will be in the library.  W. Rawson will contact the Allusive Escape room.  C. Borck, WID and K. Millard, LDI, will be contacted to determine if they would like to help plan the afternoon activity.  Please register for the All Directors meeting.        

           

7.   Meeting evaluation and summary: 

 

8.   Next meeting:  All Directors May 18th, AC meeting June 15th

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.

H. Moe, recorder.

AC/minutes/4-20-2017

For more information about the Administrative Council, contact Martha Van Pelt.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.