SCLS Administrative Council

Draft Minutes

Thursday, August 17, 2017
SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room
10:00 a. m.

It was approved to cancel the October AC meeting due to a conflict with the WLA Conference


Present:
E. Foley (1), C. Fesemyer (2), L. White (3), L. Oathout (4), M. Allen (5), A. Barnett (6), E. Plumb (7), W. Rawson (8), T. Herold (9-10), S. Lee, M. Navarre Saaf, M. Gartler (11-13)
(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 

Also Present: M. Van Pelt, C. Baumann, V. Teal Lovely, M. Ibach

Excused:  

Call to Order: Chair L. White called the meeting to order at 10:04 a.m.  

a.       Introduction of guests/visitors: None

b.      Changes/Addition to the Agenda: Add WISCAT under other discussion

c.       Requests to address the Council – policy: None

 

Approval of previous meeting minutes:  C. Fesemyer moved approval of the 6/15/17 AC minutes and the 7/20/17 All Directors minutes. W. Rawson seconded.  Motion carried.

Action items:  None

Reports of action of committees/workgroups

a. Delivery Committee- C. Baumann – The UW has agreed to use SCLS delivery service for another year and will continue with the same structure, route frequencies, same cost.  You may view the minutes of the last Delivery meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/dc/index.html
PLSR update:  The delivery group worked on dedicated models for regionals service.  Acquired software that does mapping.  Meet next Tuesday in Mauston to discuss what the other subgroups are doing. 

b. ILS Committee – V. Teal Lovely – Met 8/2.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/ic/index.html

c. Technology Committee – V. Teal Lovely Met 8/2. You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting here: http://www.scls.info/committees/tc/index.html 

PLSR update:  The charge to the funding and cost standards subcommittee is that they will be gathering information from other systems regarding their funding sources and allocation of funding.  SOMBAW members will be contacted as well as system directors. 

d. Consultants: You may view the report here. 

PLSR update:   The consulting team met to determine the final list of priorities for the services and resources that would be provided.  Different subgroups discussing CE, facilities, staffing, etc.  Also discussed services that should be provided via web.  Not all systems are like SCLS.  There is a great inequity across the state.  What we have some other systems don’t have at all.

e. Library Innovation Subcommittee
You may view the minutes of the last meeting here:  http://www.scls.info/committees/innovation/index.html
Discussed expenditure of money from the SCLS Foundation.  The challenge is that a lot of the things SCLS would like to do would require more money than the foundation can provide.  Two proposals were recommended to the foundation:  hold onto the funds in case LSTA money does not exist and to purchase equipment to implement a pilot program of “Measure the Future”.   The foundation approved the purchase of “Measure the Future” up to $1,500.

f. Flipster Work Group – M. Van Pelt noted the workgroup met and created the list of 40 titles for 2018 as well as the cost.  The Flipster committee felt that the priority should be that all libraries have access to titles via LINKcat and easy authentication as long as there is 100% participation.  More titles will be available for less money in 2018.  A survey monkey will be sent to determine which libraries would like to participate.  Discussion included the following:  Adams County doesn’t have much internet so not interested in purchasing – can’t justify cost for lack of use.  Is there a different way to share out the cost based on usage instead of population? 
If not all in, depending on how the vote goes, they will figure out the next step.  Some libraries may put in more money if not all involved.  SCLS could block patrons via authentication but is that a road we want to do down?  Pay a percentage based on usage?   Recreate the cost based on usage instead of population. See what works best.  Will go step by step depending on how the vote goes.  Will hold the survey until the work group runs several cost formula scenarios. Worst case scenario - can still receive the 40 titles, but each library will be authenticated individually and the titles will not appear in LINKcat.   The title list needs to be submitted to Flipster by September 15th.

Items from clusters for initial discussion:   None

Other discussion:


WISCAT:  M. Van Pelt will be sending an email regarding the libraries that are interested in participating in WISCAT.  40 libraries chose not to use and 14 chose to use. RLL will receive email to sign up those interested. SCLS will be billed.

a. October AC meeting conflict with WLA Conference.  Do we want to cancel or reschedule?  L. White moved to cancel the October AC meeting.  S. Lee seconded.  Motion carried.  The September agenda will include the nomination of officers to bring to the December meeting.

b.  November All Directors meeting continuing education program: 
Received several suggestions and Jean is following up.  Will have a CE from 1 to 4 – don’t know who will present yet. 

c. 2018 SCLS System Plan ideas:  DPI has not provided the form to fill out yet but would like input if folks have any ideas for new or priority type activities.    
W. Rawson suggested investigate new ILS models and potential implementation of proposed changes as well as PLSR.  Email M. Van Pelt if you have other ideas to include.

               

Meeting evaluation and summary: 

 

Next meeting:  September 21st.  Agenda items to include 2018 SCLS system plan and budget.

 

Meeting adjourned at 1:15 a.m.

H. Moe, recorder.

AC/minutes/8-17-2017

For more information about the Administrative Council, contact Martha Van Pelt.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.