SCLS Administrative Council

Draft Minutes

Thursday, December 20, 2018
SCLS Headquarters, Chester Room
10:00 a. m.

 

Action Items: 

Approved activating the Cost Formula Committee for 2020 Fees.

Present: C. Fesemyer (2) A. Noel (3), L. Oathout (4), J. Bergin (5), A. Barnett (6), R. Claringbole (7), W. Rawson (8), M. Navarre Saaf, M. Gartler (11-13),

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 
Excused
:  T. Herold (9-10), E. Foley (1),

Recorder:  H. Moe

SCLS Staff Present: M. Van Pelt, C. Baumann, M. Ibach, V. Teal Lovely

 

Call to Order:  Chair M. Navarre Saaf called the meeting to order at 10:02 a.m.  

a.   Introduction of guests/visitors: None

 

b.   Changes/Addition to the Agenda: None

 

c.    Requests to address the Council – policy:  None

 

Approval of previous meeting minutes: W. Rawson moved approval of the October 18 AC Minutes and the November 15 All Director minutes.  M. Gartler seconded. Motion carried.

Action items: 

a.   Vote to activate Cost Formula Committee for 2020 fees. M. Gartler moved approval to activate the cost formula committee for 2020 fees.  C. Fesemyer seconded.  Motion carried. Those who volunteered to serve on the committee include:  J. Tallman, CIA; M. Gartler, MPL; W. Rawson, FCH; L. Oathout, PCPL; J. Bergin, POR, or a representative from Sauk County, A. Noel, BRD; A. Barnett, MCM, or a representative from Wood County; and either E. Foley or R. Daley, ACL.

 

Reports of action of committees/workgroups

a.                  Delivery Committee- C. Baumann – Met 12/13/18.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting online. Waltco does intersystem delivery for SCLS materials in the far north and Washington County because time and distance is a factor for SCLS.  Because of damaged and lost materials, SCLS met with a Waltco representative to determine how to remedy the issues.  Waltco does not want to stop at Northern Waters Library System any longer due to a conflict with library staff in Ashland.  C. Baumann has been in contact with other couriers but because it is a northern area, it’s difficult to find someone to take over the route and there are also difficulties with private couriers due to the standards that we want them to follow. 
SCLS started the conversation about what procedures should be in place to prevent SCLS vehicles from being stolen.     
C. Baumann asked that libraries be diligent about removing snow for the delivery drivers. 
Delta Properties has extended the Delivery Building lease as well as upgraded the docks and installed security lights.

b.                  ILS Committee – Met 12/5/18.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting online.  V. Teal Lovely

c.         Technology Committee – Met 12/5/18.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting online.  

d.         Consultants: You may view the report in the December AC documents online.  Lots of new director visits due to turnover.  NGL, ALB, ARP, STO, and LDI have director openings.  M. Ibach, S. Brommer, and J. Anderson met with staff from the Southwest Library System to discuss continuing education collaboration.  Strategic planning is underway with several libraries.  The Pinney branch moved and they have internet and heat.  There is a backlog of digitized items to be put online.  SCLS is looking at how to streamline the digitization process.  Rock Springs is temporarily open at a local church.  LaValle is back in their building with their collection and will be open in January. 

e.         Library Innovation Subcommittee: five new members.  The committee is using go-to meeting as well as teleconference to connect with the northern counties.  A topic discussed included looking at getting additional mental health training at a conducive price as well as programming ideas and more maker kits.  MCM is creating maker kits that they loan out to the community. 

f.          Nomination Committee:  2019 Slate of Officers:  Chair; Vice Chair.  W. Rawson noted T. Herold has agreed to be the AC Chair for 2019.  A Vice Chair is still needed and it will be voted in January.

Items from clusters for initial discussion: 

C. Fesemyer noted she read in the SCLS Board minutes that bonuses were given to SCLS staff.  She inquired what process is used and where the funding comes from for the bonuses.  M. Van Pelt noted that the money comes from savings in the areas of salaries and benefits and does not come from the member library fees.  The SCLS board voted to approve staff bonuses if funding was available since SCLS staff received a 1% cost of living increase this year.

AC members suggested this information be provided to the member libraries as common knowledge in order to remove the element of surprise.  If the staff receives a bonus next year, the AC committee will be informed at the December 2019 meeting and in future years if applicable.   


Other discussion:
  

a.      Building Needs Assessment Committee – would like representation or input from members: 

SCLS leases the headquarters and Delivery facility.  The leases were created to expire at the same time in 2023.  SCLS pays rent at both facilities and we don’t receive a tax break.   Because of PLSR, SCLS is looking for ways to be more efficient and save money so an option to determine is whether it would be economically cheaper to own and combine the two sites.  There are different priorities for each department and the committee will be meeting monthly for a two year period to determine what the needs are to provide that information to a prospective realtor.  The committee consists of two SCLS board members, two delivery staff, V. Teal Lovely, M. Ibach, Kerrie G, and M. Van Pelt.  The question was presented to the AC whether they felt a library member should be on the committee.  The AC requested they be kept informed of the findings at the monthly meetings as well as the All Directors meetings.  It was also suggested that the member libraries should be included at a certain point in the process by being provided with surveys and input because many of the directors have had experience with building libraries as well as connections to city officials.

b.      Creation of Cost Formula Committee for 2020.  Needs to meet 1st quarter of 2019.   Infrastructure and network are the two formulas that need to be revisited. 

c.       All Directors meeting sites have been selected: March (REE); May (BRD); July (MAD); November (WAU)

d.      Start thinking about July afternoon activities: tour of Children Museum or Veterans Museum or Historical Society.  Matching mentors with mentees:  There are many new directors so this would be a great opportunity to get to know one another.  M. Navarre Saaf volunteered to research options available.  If anyone has suggestions, please contact her.  Some suggestions included the MPL inter-workings, Bubbler, etc. 

 

Next meeting:  


January 17, 2019



Meeting adjourned at 11:12 a.m.

H. Moe, recorder.

AC/minutes/12-20-2018

For more information about the Administrative Council, contact Martha Van Pelt.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.