SCLS Administrative Council Minutes
08/15/2019, 10:00 a.m.
SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Action Items:  None

Present: E. Foley (1), L. Ganz (2), A. Noel (3), N. Ozanich (4), J. Bergin (5), R. Claringbole (7),W. Rawson (8), T. Herold (9-10), M. Navarre Saaf, M. Gartler, S. Lee (11-13)

(The number following each individual indicates the cluster they represent)

 
Excused
:  A. Barnett (6)

Recorder:  H. Moe

SCLS Staff Present: M. Van Pelt, M. Ibach, C. Baumann, V. Teal Lovely

1.      Call to Order:  Chair T. Herold, called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.  

a.   Introduction of guests/visitors:

b.   Changes/Addition to the Agenda: None

c.    Requests to address the Council – None

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: 6/20/2019 AC; 7/18/2019 All Directors

a.   Changes or Corrections:  None

b.   Approved by motion:  M. Gartler moved approval. J. Bergin seconded. Motion carried.

3.      Action items:  None

4.      Reports of action of committees/workgroups

a.  Delivery Committee- Met 8/8/2019.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting online.  C. Baumann noted the committee discussed the topic of formalizing the use of delivery bins and equipment.  The issue being that although there was a recent purchase of red bins and delivery is well stocked at this time, some libraries keep the red bins for storage etc.  Libraries are encouraged to return the red bins in delivery and a “rules of the road” document is being drafted with visual aids.   A permanent document that is specific to each library to include equipment use, where the bins are located, etc. will be created for each library’s needs.  This topic will be discussed further at the October meeting.

Questions:  Will drivers still feel comfortable letting libraries know if they see red buckets?  It puts them in a tough spot because they don’t want to be “bucket police”.  The reference guide will help libraries reduce the abundance of red bins unnecessarily.

When LINKcat is suspended mid-December or later, for migration, delivery will be keeping an eye on how that will impact materials coming and going through delivery.
On October 16th, delivery will have a staff development workshop on site.  There will be abbreviated delivery that day.

b.  ILS Committee – Met 8/7/19.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting online.  The committee approved SCLS to charge 5% of the Envisionware purchase price annually for a SCLS support fee and to start the fee in year one.  If anyone has questions, contact V. Teal Lovely.  The Self Check evaluation work group has been sunsetted but will still continue to speak with vendors.  A separate PR Workgroup for the Bibliovation migration will be created to discuss bookmarks, brochures, press releases etc. for the library patrons.  A training schedule and training locations for the member libraries is being created and SCLS staff would like input from the libraries.  Libraries are strongly encouraged to send library staff to every training session. 

c.  Technology Committee – Did not meet.  You may view the action items and details in the minutes of the last meeting online.

            d.  Consultants: You may view the report in the AC documents online.  M. Ibach noted registration is open for the September 24th   Substance Abuse and Mental Health Symposium.  Trustee training has been really successful.  Strategic planning is underway           with Black Earth, Cambridge, and Mt. Horeb.  Pittsville has begun the process and Arpin is interested as well.
            J. Hoesly updated the fast facts dashboard online to include all the public libraries in the state so member libraries can do    comparisons between other public libraries in Wisconsin.

e.  Library Innovation Subcommittee – See discussion under 6b.

f.  Building Needs Assessment Work Group – M. Van Pelt noted the work group should have the final needs document prepared in two months.  M. Van Pelt, C. Baumann and K. Goeden met with the City of Madison planning staff to discuss the previous Oscar Mayer building and determined that location would not work for SCLS, but the City of Madison planning staff had other options available and provided names for local developers in Dane County.

5. Items from clusters for initial discussion:  None

6. Discussion:   

a.  2020 SCLS System Plan ideas:   DPI hasn’t released it yet, but SCLS has begun starting to work on the system plan.  It will be presented to the AC in September for review.  The current system plan is on the website and if you have any thoughts or comments, please contact M. Van Pelt.
 

b.  Innovation Subcommittee survey – M. Ibach noted the committee met and discussed the survey draft which included questions on issue topics, resolutions, what worked and what was learned as well as questions about preferences for receiving communications from SCLS.  It was decided that the SCLS communication preferences part of the survey will be sent separately and input is needed from the AC committee for specific questions in the survey.  How would library staff prefer to receive information from SCLS?  What’s not working? 

Suggestions included: 
Make the survey anonymous. 
Include the function/position and whether they are full time or part time.
Define what an “in-person” meeting is.
Allow the option to check “all that apply”.
Include the list of work areas: Circulation, tech services, reference, director, administration/management, youth services, programming, outreach, other, technology, ILL, delivery

Provide a recommended list of communication methods based on specific positions (circ, tech, ILL, director, etc.)
How would you like to receive information?  Meetings, website, scls-announce, cluster meetings, Top 5, other.

Rather than asking how do you prefer to learn, ask if they are aware of the communication methods?

Add blog posts as a choice – specifically for tech and ILS information

Could there be a question that includes do you feel you are well informed?  What does that mean?  Don’t know what they don’t know.  Goal is to find the best way for folks to find the information.  Part time staff may feel like they are getting way too much information.

Add an area for suggestions for improvement. 

Send the survey via scls-announce.

SCLS would like to get the survey out soon so it can be discussed at the November All Directors meeting.

7. Next meeting:   09/19/2019 AC Meeting – Agenda items to include 2020 system plan and budget.

8. Adjournment: 10:55 a.m.

 

For more information about the Administrative Council, contact Martha Van Pelt.

SCLS staff is available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.
 

AC/minutes/8-15-2019