Building Needs Assessment Work Group Minutes

May 9, 2019, 10:00 a.m.

SCLS Headquarters

Badger Room

Action Item:

Item 1  The July meeting is cancelled




Corey Baumann          SCLS Delivery Services Coordinator

Nan Brien                    SCLS Board Trustee

Kerrie Goeden             SCLS HR & Finance Coordinator

Mark Ibach                  SCLS Consulting Services Coordinator

Jesse Stewart              SCLS Fleet Manager

Vicki Teal                     SCLS Technology Services Coordinator                                  

Martha Van Pelt          SCLS Director


Kristie Williams           SCLS Board Trustee

Recorder:                    M. Van Pelt


1.      Call to Order Time:     10:10

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      none

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes none

                                                             ii.      Additions none

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      none


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes:  April 4, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: none

b.      Consensus approval by motion


3.      Action items:

a.      Item 1

                                                              i.      Motion: Change the July meeting date

                                                             ii.      Discussion: Due to vacations, then AD meeting recommend cancellation

                                                           iii.      Vote: Cancel the July Meeting: motion carried by consensus


4.      Reports:  none




Technology Services


5.      Discussion:

a.      Review space needs:  Mark will update his documentation

Mark’s notes are listed below and also as a separate attached document 


Office Space Requirements

·         Standard office size for most staff (all should be equal)

o   Administration—1 office

o   Consultant Team—7 offices

o   ILS Team—5 offices

o   Technology Team—8 offices

o   Delivery Team—4 offices (including one shared office space)

§  12’x12’ (144sq. ft.) office will be adequate for all of these staff. That is 25 offices at 144 sq. ft. for a total square footage need of 3,600.

·         One consideration on this is that Emily, Dan & Deb currently have larger office spaces because of the nature of the work they do, or the need for space to store supplies and resources. We’d have to address these in addition to the space we’ve already allocated.

·         Identify slightly larger office size for coordinators—enough room to have a small table for 3-4 people to meet (all should be equal)

o   Marty

o   Kerrie

o   Vicki

o   Mark

o   Corey

o   Brinnan

§  12’x14’ (168 sq. ft.) office will be adequate for all of these staff. That is 6 offices at 168 sq. ft. for a total square footage need of 1,008

·         Space needs for the number of “huddle rooms,” which are small meeting rooms scattered around the building that staff can use for meetings.

o   Four huddle rooms for 6-8 people at 14’x18’ (252 sq. ft). One of these would be used for regularly-occurring meetings that are scheduled, and the other 3 would be used on an as-needed basis. That is a total of 1,008 sq. ft. for the four huddle rooms.

·         Space for guest offices or space that LTEs or visitors can use to work in our office. This would be extra office space in each team area.

o   Four 10’x10’ offices (100 sq. ft. each) will be sufficient, for a total of 400 sq. ft.



The estimated total square footage of staff office space and huddle rooms (excluding additional space for Emily, Dan and Deb) is 6,016 sq. ft.


b.      Review delivery dock, sorting area and garage space needs:  Corey and Jessie


No blueprints but took rough measurements and then worked with staff on their needs


Primary work space (sorting): staff wants more 4,500 sf now increase to 5,000 sf

Total space for primary 5,000 sf


Dock:  new total needed is 950 sf 3 doors good, 4 doors great.  Make sure dock is covered by an overhang or canopy


Garage: more space wanted.  Not able to house 6 vehicles now, so need additional 30 feet of length and additional 10 feet of width.  Want total in garage 12,000 sf.

Greater turning radius; Configuration of 2 doors – in and out.  Vans load in garage.


Do have need for storage (work with tech) plus spares and repairs.


c.       Review idea of focus group to discuss workflow and space needs for shared spaces:  Corey


Homework for Next Meeting: 

June Meeting Deadline

Go back to each department to determine:

Prep space

Storage space


August Meeting Deadline

Schedule focus groups:

Large Meeting Rooms/ training – M. Ibach

Work Room/mail room – K. Goeden

Deliverable materials – C. Baumann

Parking Lot: Shared Spaces between departments, what people should be close to i.e. Deb copier room


Next Meeting Date:  6/6/2019


Adjournment: 11:30

For more information about the BNAW committee, contact K. Goeden.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.