Building Needs Assessment Work Group Minutes

August 1, 2019, 10:00 a.m.

SCLS Headquarters

Badger Room


Action Items:



Nan Brien                    SCLS Board Trustee


Kristi Williams             SCLS Board Trustee


Martha Van Pelt          SCLS Director

SCLS staff present: 

Corey Baumann          SCLS Delivery Services Coordinator

Kerrie Goeden             SCLS HR & Finance Coordinator

Mark Ibach                  SCLS Consulting Services Coordinator

Jesse Stewart              SCLS Fleet Manager

Vicki Teal                     SCLS Technology Services Coordinator                                  


Call to Order: K. Goeden called the meeting to order at 10:05


Approval of previous meeting minutes:  June 6, 2019


Action items:



C. Baumann, K. Goeden, M. Van Pelt will meet with the City of Madison Planning Department to discuss the Oscar Mayer site and other city sites and requirements on 8/9 at 10:00 in Madison.


Work room/mail room focus group meeting report – KG

The report can be found on the shared drive.  Need a space double the current size.

800 sf would be double



Large meeting room/training space focus group meeting report – MI

The report can be found on the shared drive. 

Room needs to be flexible.  One room that can be divided into 3 smaller rooms.

45 x 60 = 2700 sf



Deliverable materials focus group meeting report – CB

The report can be found on the shared drive. 

Dedicated home space for all kits and deliverable equipment.  Labelled locations for everything

UW archival storage (temp)

600 sf needed


Technology Services:

Staff feedback regarding server room space needs – VTL

Couldn’t do the analysis now but estimate quadruple space to 1300 sf



Review space needs for wash station in garage with drain design – JS and CB

500 sf dedicated space



In future:  department and other meeting reports will be placed in the shared drive under BNAW Reports folder, they will be dispersed via email to work group and not posted to website


Additional Discussion:  These were listed as action items from the last meeting

Professional collection & digitization collection: MI will add space needs onto the Master Space Recommendations (MSR) sheet


Discuss having land or room for future expansion included in MSR sheet


Homework for Next Meeting: 

MMM August 12 - Discuss break room, bathrooms, personal refrigeration and lobby needs for new building (MVP & KG will add recommendations to Master Space Recommendation sheet)


Preliminary research on square footage (sf) needed for storage spaces:

1)  Mark I will measure janitorial/maintenance closet spaces and kitchen supply space needed

2)  Vicki TL will measure space needed for 2 hallway closets

3) Kerrie G will measure space needed for financial and personnel records storage

4)  Marty VP will measure space needed for system director records storage


Report from meeting with City Planner - MVP


Review consolidated prep space needs for each department - KG


BNAW members will add their department space needs to Master Space Recommendations (BNAW- Reports)


Action Items for September Meeting Agenda

Review consolidated prep space needs for each department and add this to the MSR

Calculate sf of storage space needs for all items on the Combined List of Storage Space Needs and add this to the MSR

Review Combined List of Building Needs to assess if all space needs have been addressed on the MSR


Next Meeting Date:  9/5/2019


Adjournment:  11: 50