Circulation Services Subcommittee Minutes

January 08, 2019, 9:30 am; SCLS Headquarters Chester Room


Action Items:

CSS recommends including all these additional problem item statuses to the Annual Batch Deletion process, Claims Returned, AV repair, Defect Reported, Mending and Part Missing, so that all items with problem statuses are included in the annual cleanup process.


Present: Jeff Kauffeld (MAD), Margie Navarre-Saaf (MAD), Emily Harkins (WAU), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Erica Kersten (PIN), Eddie Glade (STP), Barbara Henderson (MID), Jo Clark (REE)

Absent: Steev Baker (SUN)

Excused: Kelly Heasty (MCF), Ronda Evenson (VER), Zach Ott (BAR)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff:  Heidi Oliversen, Cindy Weber


1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors.

                                                              i.      None

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda.

                                                              i.      Changes: None

                                                             ii.      Additions: H. Oliversen added “Annual batch deletion to include all item statuses” under Action.  This came from the December ILS Committee Meeting.

c.       Requests to address the Committee.

                                                              i.      None


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: November 13, 2018.

a.      Changes or corrections: None

b.      Approved by consensus or motion: The minutes from the November 2018 meeting were approved by consensus.


3.      Action Items

a.      Annual batch deletion to include all item statuses. 

                                                              i.      Discussion: We talked about this at the November CSS meeting and sent it to the ILS Committee for discussion.  ILS discussed it at their December meeting and sent it back to this committee for an official recommendation.  This discussion came about from library staff noticing an item that was listed as being in transit for two years.  SCLS staff checked and this was not the only item in the system with similar problems that needed to be cleaned up.  Currently, the annual batch deletion includes items with the following statuses, applied a year or older at the time of the report: Damaged, Missing Inventory, Lost In Transit, Trace, Missing and Lost.  CSS proposes to include the rest of the problem item statuses to this process: Claims Returned, AV repair, Defect Reported, Mending and Part Missing. We would like to add these statuses to the process.  If an item is found after the process and it’s been deleted from system, it can be re-added.

                                                             ii.      Motion: J. Kauffeld moves to include all these additional problem item statuses to the Annual Batch Deletion process, Claims Returned, AV repair, Defect Reported, Mending and Part Missing, so that all items with problem statuses are included in the annual cleanup process.  If this is approved, we can start this with the May 2019 reports.  B. Henderson seconded.

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried. 


4.      Discussion

a.      Overdue notice templates – recommended changes approved and completed.

                                                              i.      Discussion: None

b.      Purge of older charges – Recommendation approved; process completed 12/6/2018.

                                                              i.      Discussion: The purge of older charges did increase the number of inactive patrons purged.  There had been a discussion about advertising this to patrons (to invite and bring them back to the library), but the majority of the records eligible for this process were also very expired.  The majority we purged in the Annual Purge of Inactive patrons two weeks later. Margie is interested in this process as an annual clean-up and other subcommittee members agreed.  Will talk about this/make a proposal at our next meeting.  Heidi asked that if this does become an annual clean-up event is there another month of the year in which we can to it?  Perhaps November?

                                                             ii.      As a side-conversion from this agenda item, Heidi reported that she delivered both NCOA reports (deliverable and undeliverable) to the non-LINKcat libraries.  She is still working on trying to reconcile the Errors definitions with the information on the report.  The number of “undeliverable” addresses went down this year but which of those addresses are true address changes and not errors in formatting?  Heidi hopes to get the report of problem addresses to the libraries no later than mid-February.  If there are too many records to enter notes manually, Heidi will see if she can have the 2018 address note added to patron records as a monthly data ticket.    

c.       Removing Public Note field from Item Record in Bibliovation

                                                              i.      Discussion: Heidi opened an item record and showed members where this note was located in the Item Detail screen.  At one point CSC suggested that libraries use this field to indicate parts missing or condition issues because the note displays on the Check In page but not many libraries use this field.  REE and MAD use this note field.  Heidi can run a report to identify all items that currently have this note populated and what it is being used for. She will bring it to March meeting for further discussion.

d.      Review and discussion of changes to Section 8 Problem Item Statuses and Workflows

                                                              i.      Discussion: Heidi thought she had time to do more updates to Section 8, but she didn’t.  Heidi is stripping out formatting and all screen shots.  She will send out the documents via email to read before for the next meeting.      

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  March 12, 2019

a.      Discussion: propose the purge of charges over 10 years old as an annual clean-up event.

b.      Discussion/review: changes to Section 8 Problem Item Statuses and Workflows.


6.      Adjournment at 10:42 am.



For more information about the Circulation Services Subcommittee, contact Heidi Oliversen.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Circulation Services Subcommittee/Agenda/1-2019