Circulation Services Subcommittee Minutes

November 12, 2019, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

Action Items:

The CSS recommended that we move forward with the migration to Bibliovation on December 6, 2019, assuming that problems with the self-checks and sorters are resolved and with the understanding that there are still outstanding problems, but nothing that will prevent us from moving forward with the migration.      

 

 

Present: Zach Ott (BAR), Jeff Kauffeld (MAD), Ronda Evenson (VER), Margie Navarre-Saaf (MAD), Emily Harkins (WAU), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Erica Kersten (PIN), Eddie Glade (STP), Jo Clark (REE)

Absent: Steev Baker (SUN), Kelly Heasty (MCF)

Excused: Autumn Baumann (POR), Barbara Henderson (MID)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff: Heidi Oliversen, Vicki Teal Lovely

1.      Call to Order

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors. 

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda. 

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee.

                                                              i.      None.

 

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 10, 2019

a.      Motion: The September 10, 2019 minutes were approved by consensus.

b.      Discussion: none.

 

3.      Action Items

a.      Review Delivery Downtime plan.

                                                              i.      Discussion: H. Oliversen reviewed the Delivery Downtime plan, which is posted on the meeting page.  Prior to downtime on December 6, we are advising libraries to checkin everything they can.  Libraries will not be able to do checkin again until the system is back up.  We plan to be up on Tuesday, December 10.  We will do a “rolling” go live and schedule libraries to upload their Offline Circulation files in groups.  Libraries will be given the schedule before go live.  There is a possibility that we will go live on Monday, December 9, if LibLime is finished and testing is complete and accurate.  SCLS staff will be contacting libraries if and when this happens in order to schedule their Offline Circulation files uploads, checkins and live checkouts.  We are modifying our existing SCLS Downtime instructions and incorporating parts the new Offline Circulation documentation for the migration.  H. Oliversen will include December 10 as a close date for all LINKcat library calendars to help prevent patrons from returning their materials to the library that day.  Should we ask libraries about this first?  H. Oliversen will send an email out that she’s making December 10 a closed day (in Koha) for all libraries but they can opt out if they choose by updating their calendars. It is already marked as a closed day in Bibliovation. We will add a statement to the Migration Events page that the login and password information for Bibliovation will remain the same as in Koha production.  Will the Firefox icons name still say Koha?  Yes, libraries will need to rename their icons.  Instructions for libraries will be posted on our Migration Events page, which is linked is various places (throughout the SCLS web site, Top 5, etc.).  This will be a FAQ for staff.  We will also link to the Migration Events page at the top of the ILS Support/News page.  We can also create other shorter FAQs as appropriate.  Staff should go back to their library and try testing Offline Circulation using test patrons and items (click the green B in your Firefox browser).  H. Oliversen will email the section of the LINK Manual that goes through Offline Circulation to help with your testing.  You can upload your transactions to the sandbox.  Checkin will automatically remove an expired or cancelled hold entry from your Holds Awaiting Pickup Report.  For the migration, the Holds Queue report should not be run until Offline Circulation processing is complete and the Holds Awaiting Pickup Report is processed.  MAD’s Firefox extension is almost complete Bibliovation, but library staff should NOT turn it on until after they have been live on Bibliovation and we can ensure that any major bugs discovered have been addressed.  MAD will send out an email that the Koha extension is not available after December 6.   We will also let you know when you can start using it again.             

                                                             ii.      Motion: The Downtime plan was approved by consensus as amended in the meeting but it will continue to be updated as we get closer to the migration.            

b.      Review Bibliovation Circulation and Patron software.

                                                              i.      If approved, make a recommendation to the ILS Committee to move forward with the migration on 12/6/2019.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: H. Oliversen sent out the last request to do testing on 10/31 with an 11/10 deadline.  H. Oliversen reviewed the responses with the group.  Entering truncated patron barcodes in a Check out field are still not automatically directing you to hat patron’s Check Out screen.  We agreed that we can go live before this is fixed.  There were reports that the Holds Awaiting Pickup report takes a long time to load.  This has been fixed.  We plan to have an up to date list of known bugs to alert staff about.  A refund problem was reported by J. Kauffeld for a lost item that was checked in.  It did not put a refund on the record.  H. Oliversen demonstrated this is now working, but committee members should re-test and confirm this themselves when they get back to their libraries. Someone reported that if an item is checked out today and then checked in on the same day, using a backdate checkin option, there is no pop-up or flag stating that the item was checked in before it was checked out.  We demonstrated this and that is correct – no flag or warning.  No one felt that this was a show stopper.  All libraries will Go Live with a standard template.  If libraries made changes to their template (landscape, logo, etc.), these changes will need to be made again post go live.  LibLime used a different coding language to write the templates, so we still need to familiarize ourselves with it in order to help libraries make their changes post go live.  We have two options for hold slips, one with a full name and one with a truncated name. H. Oliversen will send out an email including a pdf to prepare libraries for what they will see for receipts and asking which hold slip they want to use.  Searching is more specific because we need to have auto complete turned on for other functionality.  The patron search is more forgiving than searching in checkout.  H. Oliversen is emphasizing this in Bibliovation training.  E. Kersten reported that when she searches a different patron name from page 5 of another patron search, it shows no results.  H. Oliversen will confirm and report to LibLime.            

                                                           iii.      Motion:  M. Navarre Saaf recommended that we move forward with the migration to Bibliovation on December 6, 2019, assuming that problems with the self-checks and sorters are resolved and with the understanding that there are still outstanding problems, but nothing that will prevent us from moving forward with the migration.  S. Bukrey seconded.   

                                                           iv.      Vote: motion carried

 

4.      Discussion

a.      November and December tasks

                                                              i.      November Problem Items report

1.      Discussion: C. Weber is running and posting the problem item reports for November.

                                                             ii.      November – open barcode label ordering. 

1.      Discussion: The barcode order will open on November 15, will close on December 13, and will be submitted in December for delivery (and billing) in January 2020.

                                                           iii.      November submission of patron database to NCOA vendor

1.      Discussion: will be submitted later this month.

                                                           iv.      November Purge of Inactive Patrons

1.      Discussion: H. Oliversen sent these reports out to libraries earlier this week. Deadline for review is Thursday, November 21.

b.      PR and information about migration

                                                              i.      Discussion: Libraries will receive a press kit and new bookmarks to promote the downtime to patrons.  Library staff don’t always scroll down past the upcoming meetings on Top 5, so we will list migration information at the top of Top 5.  All information will be located on the Migration Events page.  We will link to the Knowns problems page from the SCLS status wiki.  On the Known Problems page, we will add another status called “Priority” so libraries can search for the newest information. 

 

 

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  January 14, 2020

 

6.      Adjournment at 11:46 am.

 

 

For more information about the Circulation Services Subcommittee, contact Heidi Oliversen.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Circulation Services Subcommittee/Minutes/11-2019