Circulation Services Subcommittee Minutes

January 10, 2023 at 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:



Present: Zach Ott (BAR), Steev Baker (SUN), Jeff Kauffeld (MAD), Ronda Evenson (VER), Margie Navarre-Saaf (MAD), Emily Harkins (WAU), Kelly Heasty (MCF), Erica Kersten (PIN), Eddie Glade (STP), Barbara Henderson (MID), Autumn Baumann (POR), Jennifer Foster (FCH), Robin Behringer (STO), Alyssa Moura (REE)

Absent: None

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Heidi Oliversen, Cindy Weber


1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: November 8, 2022

a.      Motion: The subcommittee approved the November meeting minutes by consensus.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.


3.      Action Items

a.      None.


4.      Discussion

a.      SUN request for new Item Type for vinyl. Using CAAMS is ‘confusing”.

                                                              i.      Discussion: SUN staff emailed this request because they think that the description for Item Type CAAMS (Cassette, adult music) for phonographs is confusing for staff (patrons see collection code descriptions and call numbers).  Libraries that have added vinyl to their collections are using this Item Type and so far no one has requested a change.  We add new Items Types for new formats when libraries need Circulation Rules specific to that format, especially if a library charges overdue fines for the adult materials and not the juvenile materials.  MAD has quite a large vinyl collection.  B. Henderson asked if anyone has adult music cassettes anymore.  H. Oliversen ran a report last week of all magnetic media that is still in the system.  The majority of items using the CAAMS Item Type are items that have the CDAMS Collection code, the second largest group are items with the Collection Code of PH (for phonograph). She has sent reports to a few libraries to ask about their CDAMS item records and if they could change the Item Type to CDAMS to accurately reflect the materials on hand.  So far, the libraries that have been sent the clean-up reports have done so.  The only library that actually has cassettes with this Item Type are the WID Dells History tapes.  These are oral history recordings.  Does it make more sense to change the CAAMS description to another term?  Could we change the description to Adult Music instead of adding a completely new Item Type?   If we add a new Item Type for vinyl records, Item Type statistics won’t match up.  If the only items remaining after clean-up are vinyl, wouldn’t it be best to just change the description? That can be done without impacting the codes themselves. M. Navarre Saaf was in favor of this change if it is doable.  She asked if this should go to CMS before sending it to the ILS Committee. Yes, we want their opinion.  S. Baker asked at what point could make an update to the Item Type?  It doesn’t matter for patrons, they don’t see the Item Type description in the catalog.  This is coding left from Dynix.  In Dynix, the Item Type were our primary stat numbers for annual reports.  Now collection codes are our primary source for stats.  Using Collection Codes for statistics provides more granular statistical information needed for the State Annual Report.  Overall, the group likes the idea of changing the CAAMS description to “LP/ Vinyl” to match the Format search parameter that patrons see in LINKcat.  Could the WID tapes be changed to the Book on cassette Item Type?  H. Oliversen will check with WID to see if OK with them and if they agree, send them the list to Batch Edit the records.  She will continue to send out reports to other libraries to have them changed their items with a CDAMS Collection Code to also have a CDAMS Item Type. After all those records are cleaned up, we can propose the change in description to the ILS Committee. SUN is okay with continuing to use the CAAMS Item Type while waiting for the description to change.  H. Oliversen will ask A. Gannaway to share this information with the CMS.         

b.      Review Circulation User Group ranking of older bugs.

                                                              i.      Discussion: Circulation User Group (12/2022) reviewed a number of older bugs and enhancement requests and made a recommendation about whether to retain them or close the tickets. H. Oliversen sent this out to everyone and she shared the spreadsheet.  The group went through each entry on the spreadsheet and agreed with the recommendation from the CUG except preferred to retain ticket 21010 Lost item list-missing option to Delete entries.  Libraries want to retain this option (lost in a previous Bibliovation upgrade) in order to remove entries to prevent Refunds from being generated. The “bugs” reports about the Guarantor/Guarantee fields are a result of those fields being enhanced by the Patron Group functionality.  H. Oliversen reviewed this functionality on screen and answered questions.  She also encouraged all CSS members to go in and test this in the Sandbox.  If any of the bugs that were removed from the spreadsheet reappear (like Legacy Application error messages) we can create a new ticket with LibLime for the 7.02 version. 

c.       Status of 7.02 upgrade.

                                                              i.      Discussion:  IF we get all our reported bugs fixed in January and IF no new bugs or problems are introduced, March/April would be a possible time period for scheduling the upgrade.  ILS Staff have to run through their own checklists after the “final” point release is provided, with all our reported fixes.  Once the fixes are complete, we will send the checklists out for library staff to do their testing and provide a deadline.  If no new bugs/problems are reported, we work out the upgrade schedule with LibLime and libraries.  This is all dependent on when we receive the fixes for outstanding bugs and confirming that no new bugs/problems were introduced by new point releases delivering other fixes. 

d.      Volunteers for 7.02 Circulation Manual changes.

                                                              i.      Discussion:  H. Oliversen only has 3 manual sections to finish (Patron Record & Registration, Fines and Financial Transactions, and Managing Holds).  All other sections have been updated for 7.02.  H. Oliversen will create a google doc for each section and those who have the time can review those updated sections and suggest/make any needed revisions.  

e.      Update webinars for 7.02 – discussion about best days/times to provide largest access to library staff.

                                                              i.      Discussion:  H. Oliversen sent out the Patron Merge instructions and lists of duplicate patron records in the Sandbox to specific CSS members. They were asked to read the documentation and view the video and then perform the Merge.  E. Glade said the documentation was helpful, but he hasn’t watched video yet.  E. Harkins reported that she can see how complicated this is.  H. Oliversen would like to do live update webinars to go over the Patron Merge, Patron Delete and Patron Group functionalities and other significant changes.  CSS members said Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays, either mid-afternoon or between 1:30 – 4:30 would be “general” times that may be good for scheduling these live sessions.  Discussed recording sessions and providing those as an option for staff unable to attend the live sessions.


5.      Plan for Next meeting:  March 14, 2023 at 9:30 am via phone/video conference

a.      Review the way we meet – virtually or squeeze in-person meetings?

b.      May meeting in person at a library

c.       Report vs. yellow form discussion


6.      Adjournment at 11:30 am. 



For more information about the Circulation Services Subcommittee, contact Heidi Oliversen.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Circulation Services Subcommittee/Minutes/01-2023