Circulation Services Subcommittee Minutes

September 12, 2023 at 9:30 am

Zoom session


Action Items:
The Circulation Services Subcommittee recommended
creating a data retention policy for information stored in Patron Hold History table; based on current system parameters (see below for details).


Present: Zach Ott (BAR), Jeff Kauffeld (MAD), Emily Harkins (WAU), Kelly Heasty (MCF), Erica Kersten (PIN), Eddie Glade (STP), Autumn Baumann (POR), Jennifer Foster (FCH), Robin Behringer (STO), Alyssa Moura (REE), Alice Johnson (MOO), Andrew Branstad (MTH)

Absent: Steev Baker (SUN), Ronda Evenson (VER)

Excused: Margie Navarre-Saaf (MAD), Tanya Bolchen (MID)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS
SCLS Staff Present:
Heidi Oliversen, Cindy Weber


1.      Call to Order at 9:34 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors.

                                                              i.      Jeff Pond from MRO.  Jeff will be joining as an official CSS member as of the November 2023 meeting.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda.

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: July 11, 2023

a.      Motion:  J. Kauffeld moved approval from the July meeting minutes A. Moura seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried. 


3.      Action Items

a.      Create a data retention policy for information stored in the Patron Hold History table; based on current system parameters.

                                                              i.      Patron Hold History retention policy.

1.      A patron’s Hold History will display in the patron’s Discovery Layer Dashboard for a period of 30 days after each hold is issued to the patron, expired on the hold shelf, or is canceled.

2.      A patron’s Hold History will display in the patron’s record, Hold History tab, for Library staff for a period of 90 days after each hold is issued to the patron, expired on the hold shelf, or is canceled.

3.      System settings that clear information are based on these ranges and can only be changed by an agreement from LINKcat Directors.

                                                             ii.      Motion: K. Heasty moved to approve the proposed data retention policy for information stored in the Patron Holds History table; based on current system parameters (details above).  A. Moura seconded.

                                                           iii.      Discussion:  H. Oliversen reviewed the proposed policy with the group.   

                                                           iv.      Vote: motion carried. 


4.      Discussion

a.      Touch screens at check in stations: any update?

                                                              i.      Discussion:  This was discussed at last meeting.  REE is using touch screens at check in stations.  MAD is not sure if they are going to pursue this.  MRO has installed a touch screen in a standing station.  They thought the seating option wasn’t feasible.  REE does both (sitting and standing) with the touch screens.  A. Moura shared that having the monitor at the right height is key for the standing stations.  If your library is interested in getting more information on purchasing touch screens, including current models and pricing, please contact Craig Ellefson. 

b.      Update on Talking Tech phone hold notices.

                                                              i.      Discussion: On August 24, ILS staff (Cindy, Heidi, Vicki) worked with an AT&T electrical contractor who had been given our ticket as a last-minute emergency.  He did not understand what they were talking about.  However, with the assistance of our electrical contractor, the phone lines were correctly ported into the new system set-up and Talking Tech calls were made that day.  H. Oliversen has been monitoring calls/reports while C. Weber was on vacation and it appears to be working.   A few bumps were reported.  SCLS staff will send a reminder email about how and when each type of notice is delivered, according to the selected delivery format (email, phone, text, paper).   

c.       Workflows for sending Defect Reported items back to the Owning library. Fix in Sandbox for the recent bug (#2047) will allow staff to use the existing workflow again.  The alternate workflow recommended during the bug problem, to use the “Transfer” option after changing status and sending the item to the owning library, will be added to Section VIII Problem Items Statuses and Workflows in the Circulation Manual.  With two workflows being used, how do we update the directions on the Problem Item form?

                                                              i.      Discussion: Would library staff recommend using the newer workflow using the transfer functionality?  Some libraries reported using this prior to the bug.  E. Glade said it makes sense.  J. Kauffeld agreed.  We can make the change to the form to follow this new workflow.  The existing workflow could still be listed in the manual as an alternative.  The staff in attendance agreed the new workflow was more efficient.  It’s hard to remember to go back and replace the Defect reported status a second time.  H. Oliversen will rewrite the manual instructions and update the form with the newer workflow as the primary way to deal with defect-reported items.  She will send proposed changes to the group for review.  Everyone needs to share this with their staff and please share their input.  We will vote at the November meeting about making it the preferred workflow. 

d.      Ticket with LibLime: Both types of self-check units allow patrons with these patron categories, WEB, STF, and PREREG, to log into the self-check but only get “blocked” when they attempt a checkout.  Cindy discovered this behavior when testing the upgrade to 7.02.  As long as these patron categories are blocked from self-checkout, are we okay with dropping this ticket? 

                                                              i.       Discussion:  No need yet to drop this ticket as it looks to be fixed in the 7.02.37 point release.  H. Oliversen reviewed this with the group.  She has done some testing to confirm this but is hesitant to announce it since it wasn’t on the list of fixes.  She is working on confirming this.

e.      Library updates:

                                                              i.      Discussion: Any new issues?  MPL and branches will be closed for a staff in-service on September 14.  Stoughton Public Library will be closed for a staff in-service on September 15.


5.      Plan for the next meeting:  November 14, 2023, at 9:30 am via Zoom session


6.      Adjournment at 10:20 am.



For more information about the Circulation Services Subcommittee, contact Heidi Oliversen.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Circulation Services Subcommittee/Minutes/09-2023