Circulation Services Subcommittee Minutes

November 14, 2023 at 9:30 am

Zoom session

Action Items:

The CSS recommends expanding Local Holds to include new Children’s Picture Books with a 14-day loan.

The CSS recommends changing the Organization and Fine Free Organization patron categories to expire at 12 months.


Present: Zach Ott (BAR), Jeff Kauffeld (MAD), Margie Navarre-Saaf (MAD), Emily Harkins (WAU), Kelly Heasty (MCF), Erica Kersten (PIN), Eddie Glade (STP), Jennifer Foster (FCH), Robin Behringer (STO), Alyssa Moura (REE), Andrew Branstad (MTH), Jeff Pond (MRO)

Absent: Steev Baker (SUN), Ronda Evenson (VER), Tanya Bolchen (MID)

Excused: Autumn Baumann (POR), Alice Johnson (MOO)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Heidi Oliversen


1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors.

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      M. Navarre Saaf added “Organization card expiration date” as 4e under Discussion.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 12, 2023

a.      Motion: The Circulation Services Subcommittee approved the September meeting minutes by consensus.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.


3.      Action Items

a.      Approve additional Defect Reported/Damaged workflow: Circulation Manual language and form changes.

                                                              i.      Motion: The subcommittee approved the additional Defect/Reported Damaged workflow language for the Circulation manual and form.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: H. Oliversen appreciated the input from the group for the Circulation manual revisions and form changes.  She reviewed the changes with the group.  The group made a few additional changes.  H. Oliversen will post these changes and send an email to link-circ to notify libraries. This does not need to be sent to the ILS Committee.

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.


4.      Discussion

a.      Request to change RFID Tagging guidelines to allow RFID libraries to tag board books received from non-RFID libraries.

                                                              i.      Discussion: Our guidelines for RFID tagging items that come from non-RFID libraries do not allow RFID libraries to tag incoming board books and magazines to fill holds.  Some libraries want them tagged but would like specific instructions on the placement of the tag.  The group discussed covering the ISBN on the back of board books so that the tag would cover less text and pictures.  But members pointed out that parents often use the ISBN to scan titles when entering books read for summer reading programs so that won’t work.  Some board book covers are slick so many use book tape to secure it on board books.  REE stated the biggest issue is reminding taggers not to place the tag over the spine or crease of an item. Once an RFID tag is bent it no longer works.  STO does not want to tag these items because board books often need to be replaced due to wear and tear and it seems like a waste to put RFID tags on them.  MRO does not use RFID tags, but they have no issue with their board books being tagged by other libraries.  MCF tags all their board books but refrains from doing it for other libraries.  Applying tags to other libraries’ materials is optional for RFID libraries, not a rule. The group decided that we should create a survey to get feedback.  H. Oliversen will work on getting something drafted and send it out for feedback.  Could we add a question about adding magazines to this too?  Yes.  PIN stated the benefit of tagging magazines is that anything that doesn’t have an RFID tag they have to “double shelve.”  BAR’s new sorter and outdoor kiosk door will not open until a RFID tag is scanned.  They want to tag everything for patrons so they can return materials after hours.  Magazines are easily stolen and MAD doesn’t want to pay for replacing magazines owned by other libraries.  The survey might not be ready to go out until January 2024.

b.      Recommendation for language to encourage libraries to resolve Refunds monthly but no later than six months old.

                                                              i.      Discussion: H. Oliversen asked the subcommittee to suggest language to strongly recommend that libraries process refunds no later than 6 months after the payment for the Lost item.  MAD likes the idea of creating a policy.  REE agrees.  One suggestion was to require libraries to resolve refunds monthly but no later than six months.  Six months seemed too long.  Smaller libraries (with fewer and newer staff) might need a little more time to do this monthly.  The group preferred the suggestion that libraries do this work quarterly.  M, Navarre Saaf volunteered to lead a workgroup to discuss this more outside of this meeting and then propose something via email to the group. 

c.       Review the SCLS Guidelines for Registering Patrons (Circulation Manual, Section V, Part C).  Make recommendations for revisions.

                                                              i.      Discussion:  H. Oliversen shared the document that the group has been working on (google doc).  WI State Statutes allows patron 16 and older privacy from their patrons/guardians.  Some libraries allows patrons between 16-18 to sign for their own applications so this information needs to be included.  Do we really still need to send new applications to the library of residence?  That depends, are all libraries careful about searching for existing records when they have a new patron application in-hand?  Are libraries ensuring that they add correct PSTATs into new records or in modified records?  M. Navarre Saaf wondered if we could develop an annual (biannual?) process that would compare addresses to PSTATs and flags errors?  H. Oliversen will talk to T. Drexler to see if this is something he could create and perform in Tableau.  E. Kersten asked if R. Zeich could perform the same field formatting magic she did for the phone numbers to the Birthdate field in the patron record (new form). H. Oliversen reported the problem with this field allowing dates (years) in the future but was told we would have to submit this as new development to fix.   She will ask R. Zeich if she can format the field on this webpage for the mm/dd/yyy formatting and prevent the entry of dates in the future. Any changes to these patron registration guidelines will need to be approved by the non-LINKcat libraries and then sent to the SCLS Administrative Council for final approval.  The group decided this needs more in-depth review and discussion, some members volunteered to work together to update and suggest revisions these guidelines.   Volunteers for the workgroup: M. Navarre Saaf, E. Glade, J. Foster, and J. Pond.  This topic will be discussed at the next meeting in January.

d.      Request From Arpin to expand types of materials to offer as Local Holds in order of priority: currently new items for adults…only for new materials

                                                              i.      Children's Picture Books 14-day loan

                                                             ii.      Juvenile Graphic Novels 14-day loan

                                                           iii.      DVD set 14-day

                                                           iv.      DVD 7-day loan

                                                             v.      DVD juvenile 7-day loan

                                                           vi.      Juvenile Fiction/Non- Fiction 14 day loan

From Stacy at Arpin: “I understand the point of being part of a system is to share collections, but my patrons seemed to get pushed to the back of the line when it comes to getting their hands on something new. New items go out in the red box and are not seen for months. By the time they return, they are no longer new. The local holds program has been vital in keeping happy patrons.


1.      Motion: E. Glade moved to expand Local Holds to include new Children’s Picture Books with a 14-day loan period.  A. Moura seconded.

2.      Discussion:  This request to expand Local Holds to other materials came from ARP.  This group agreed that the original intent of the Local Holds/Use pilot project was for it to be used for newly published materials, not new copies of existing titles. MAD would be interested in proposing the first request “Children's Picture Books 14-day loans.”  The rest of the group agreed. MPL is not doing Local Holds and understands the positive change others have seen with the other types of materials.  No other requests for additional materials to be added to the Local Holds/Use program have been submitted.  The group agreed that continuing to add one type of material at a time will help us to evaluate the program.  Vote motion carried.  

e.      Organization card expiration date

                                                              i.      Motion: M. Navarre Saaf moved to change the Organization and Fine Free Organization patron categories to expire at 12 months.  J. Pond seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: MAD issues organizational cards to schools, including REACH Dane.  Since there is so much staff turnover, they are manually making those cards expire after one year.  Some staff are clicking renew and it renews the card for four years.  Could we change this to 12 months for all organizational cards?  Yes.  Several members stated that they also have to manually set the expiration date to account for annual changes to organizational staffing. What about the Fine Free Organization?  Yes, should be the same. 

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.


5.      Plan for the Next meeting:  January 9, 2024, at 9:30 am via Zoom session


6.      Adjournment at 11:56 am. 


For more information about the Circulation Services Subcommittee, contact Heidi Oliversen.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Circulation Services Subcommittee/Minutes/11-2023