Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

May 9, 2018

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

Action Items:

1.      Delete low use collection code: BKAFICR

2.      Delete low use collection code: VRAWL

3.      Delete low use collection code: CAJMS

Present: Debbie Bird (SUN), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER)

Absent: Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Alison Wirth (STP)

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway (SCLS), Kayla Linke (SCLS)

 

1.      Call to order time: 9:29 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: None.

                                                            ii.      Additions: Under Discussion – add Book on CD Content

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: March 14, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by consensus.

3.      Action items

a.      Delete low use collection code: BKAFICR (BOOKS AD FIC CRIME)

                                                              i.      Motion: D. Bird moved to recommend that the ILS Committee delete the collection code BKAFICR. M. Warren seconded.

                                                            ii.      Discussion: There are currently no items using this collection code.

                                                          iii.      Vote: Motion carried.

b.      Delete low use collection code: VRAWL (VIDEO REC AD WORLD LANG)

                                                              i.      Motion: T. Maes moved to recommend that the ILS Committee delete the collection code VRAWL. T. Skov seconded.

                                                            ii.      Discussion: There were some MPL items using this code that were all marked Trace). No one else is using this code. 

                                                          iii.      Vote: Motion carried.

c.       Delete low use collection code: CAJMS (CASSETTES JU MUSIC)

                                                              i.      Motion: D. Bird moved to recommend that the ILS Committee delete the collection code CAJMS. T. Maes seconded.

                                                            ii.      Discussion: There are currently no items using this collection code.

                                                          iii.      Vote: Motion carried.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates

                                                              i.      Books Linking Manual revisions

1.      Discussion: The revisions have been posted and announced via email and blog post.

                                                            ii.      New collection codes: PBJFIBI, PBJNFBI, PBJBBB

1.      Discussion: These codes were approved by the ILS Committee in April.  Amy added them into Koha and announced them.

b.      Bibliovation discussions

                                                              i.      BSE templates

1.      Discussion: Would it be helpful to have BSEs for different formats in Bibliovation, so some of the information could be auto-populated (GMDs, fixed fields, etc.)?  The subcommittee was very interested in this. Would it be more helpful to breakdown sound recordings?  SUN would be interested in saving keystrokes, so the more information that can be auto-populated, the more useful they would be. The templates will be based on the formats in the Linking manual.

2.      Next steps: Amy and Kayla will be working on testing and setting up templates in Bibliovation.         

                                                            ii.      Creating and Editing BSEs

1.      Discussion: Currently in Koha, the permissions are set up where library staff can create a BSE, but cannot edit a BSE after it is saved. In Bibliovation, there is a feature called Catsources. Amy has set this up for testing purposes. The BSE would have a BSE catsource, and library staff could have permission to both create and edit records with a BSE catasource. The catsource would be changed to MARC when it’s overlaid by Madison staff. At that point, only Madison catalogers and SCLS staff would have permission to edit the bib record. Madison catalogers could also manually change catsources on a bib record if it has been reviewed but won’t be overlaid for a while. This still needs to be tested and would require a fair amount of setup. The members were very interested in pursuing this option to see if it will work.

2.      Next steps: Amy and Kayla will continue to work with setup and testing in Bibliovation.

                                                          iii.      Browse searching

1.      Discussion: Amy demonstrated browse searching in Bibliovation, which can be turned on or off. The browse search is an authorities search (author, series title, subjects). We could call it something other than “Browse.” The screen is very confusing and would need some work, but doing work on the screen and the searching would require development by LibLime. Would we want to pursue development with the Browse search prior to go live or put it on hold until after go live? The committee didn’t feel this was worth pursuing prior to go live and should just be turned off for go live.

2.      Next steps: After go live we could revisit and decide whether developing Browse searching is worth pursuing.    

c.       Subcommittee Acronyms (CMC to CMS)

                                                              i.      Discussion: The acronyms were created and set up and then the name was changed from “committee” to “subcommittee”. Since this is technically a Subcommittee, we will change the acronym to CMS.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: The email list will be changed today to reflect the change.

d.      Book on CD Content

                                                              i.      Discussion: REE’s book on CD copy of Royal Invitation by Nora Roberts is two audiobooks that were packaged together, but the discs are labeled with the separate titles. SUN has a copy with the same content (two different titles) but the discs only list the collective title, not the individual titles, so there is concern that separating the titles will cause confusion for patrons. According to the guidelines, separate titles should be split up. The discs could be re-labeled.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: MAD will review this item and send it back to SUN with instructions.       

5.      Plan for next meeting: July 11, 2018 / SCLS Headquarters

a.      Updates on Action items, Bibliovation updates

6.      Adjournment: 10:43 am.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/05-2018