Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

July 11, 2018 9:30am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Action Items:

None

 

Present: Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER)

Absent: Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Alison Wirth (STP)

Excused: Debbie Bird (SUN)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway (SCLS), Kayla Linke (SCLS)

 

1.      Call to order time 9:39 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: None.   

                                                            ii.      Additions: Under Bibliovation Discussion, Amy added Authorized Fields.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: May 9, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion: M. Warren moves approval of the May 9, 2018 CMS minutes. T. Maes seconded. Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      None

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates

                                                              i.      Delete low use collection codes: BKAFICR, VRAWL, CAJMS

1.      These codes were deleted on June 8, 2018.

b.      Bibliovation discussions

                                                              i.      BSE templates

1.      Amy demonstrated the work they have done so far with creating BSE templates. 

                                                            ii.      Creating and Editing BSEs

1.      We don’t currently have the ability to edit BSE records in Koha.  Amy reported that they are testing this feature in Bibliovation and it is working. We’re on hold with testing because we are still waiting on the item ownership work. Once that is done, we will move forward with cataloging testing. 

                                                          iii.      Authorized Fields

1.      We have been working with LibLime regarding fields in the bib records that are linked to authority records (author, series and subject fields). In the BSE, the author field is problematic because currently staff cannot add a new author on the fly in Bibliovation. Staff can search and match an existing author, which is a nice feature and staff will be trained on how to use this. However, we still want LibLime to make the author field in Bibliovation free text like it is in our current software version.     

c.       DVD-R “format”

                                                              i.      Discussion: Tina brought an example. MAD has noticed that Amazon studios have been putting their stuff on DVD-Rs. DVD-Rs  are not always clearly marked on the case, and when staff are ordering, it’s not always clear that will receive a DVD-R.  DVD-Rs have trouble with older DVD players and computers. Should DVD-Rs be considered a separate format and go on separate bib records? Kate talked about what they are currently doing – they are adding DVD-R in the 538, and they are also adding a 500 note about DVD-Rs not playing on all players. (See bib # 1337444, Wonderstruck DVD, as an example.)  MID is putting stickers on the front of the case that say “DVD-R not compatible with all players.” Putting DVD-Rs on separate records would require additional education for both staff and patrons. Also, staff might have to wait until they have the item in hand to link the item, as they don’t always know what they will get at the point of order. The committee decided not to put DVD-Rs on separate bib records. Adding the stickers (as MID is doing) is a good idea to alert patrons to the issue.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: MAD catalogers will continue to add the notes in the 500 and 538 of the MARC record. We’ll see how it goes and review if necessary at a future meeting.

d.      4K Blu-ray DVDs

                                                              i.      Discussion: DFT was thinking of purchasing 4K Blu-ray DVDs. It is the next generation of Blu-ray and requires a special Blu-ray 4K player. You cannot play these discs on “regular” DVD players or Blu-ray players. This would be a new format. According to the Levels of Cataloging policy, items in new formats should go on GEN records. We will consider cataloging this format when we have 50 unique titles system-wide.

                                                            ii.      Next steps: Tina will follow-up with DFT.          

5.      Plan for next meeting: September 12, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.

a.      Bibliovation updates.

b.      Noted that a Bibliovation demo is planned for October 31 at SCLS Headquarters.

6.      Adjournment: 10:40 am

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/07-2018