Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

September 12, 2018 9:30am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

 

Action Items:

New Shelving Location request from MRO: MIM (Made in Monroe)

Low use collection codes to delete: CAAWL (CASSETTES AD WORLD LANG)

Low use shelving locations to delete: GD (Government Documents), LS (Lower Stacks), PLC1F (Popular Library Collection, 1st Floor), RF1F (Reference, 1st Floor), RR (Reading Rainbow)

 

Present: Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), LuAnn Kranz (DFT)

Absent:  Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Alison Wirth (STP)

Excused: Debbie Bird (SUN)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: A. Gannaway (SCLS), K. Linke (SCLS)

 

1.      Call to order time at 9:32 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      LuAnn Kranz (DFT) is new to the committee. 

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes.  None.

                                                             ii.      Additions.  M. Warren added DVD-R format update under Discussion.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: July 11, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion. M. Warren moved approval of the July 11th minutes.  T. Skov seconded.  Vote: Motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      New Shelving Location request from MRO: MIM (Made in Monroe)

                                                              i.      Motion: S. Hartman moved to add the Shelving Location of MIM (Made in Monroe).  T. Skov seconds. 

                                                             ii.      Discussion: MRO has requested this for a new local collection with approximately 250 items.

                                                           iii.      Vote: Motion carried. This will go to ILS Committee for final approval.

b.      Low use collection codes to delete: CAAWL (CASSETTES AD WORLD LANG)

                                                              i.      Motion T. Maes moved to delete the Collection Code CAAWL (CASSETTES AD WORLD LANG).  L. Stuckey seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: There were six items using this code. The items were withdrawn or changed to another Collection Code.

                                                           iii.      Vote: Motion carried. This will go to ILS Committee for final approval.

c.       Low use shelving locations to delete: GD (Government Documents), LS (Lower Stacks), PLC1F (Popular Library Collection, 1st Floor), RF1F (Reference, 1st Floor), RR (Reading Rainbow)

                                                              i.      Motion: T. Maes moved to delete Shelving Locations GD (Government Documents), LS (Lower Stacks), PLC1F (Popular Library Collection, 1st Floor), RF1F (Reference, 1st Floor), RR (Reading Rainbow). K. Odahowski seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: Amy contacted the libraries with items that were using these
Shelving Locations. The items were withdrawn or changed to another Shelving Location.

                                                           iii.      Vote: Motion carried. This will go to ILS Committee for final approval.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Meeting schedule for 2019

                                                              i.      Discussion: 2nd Wednesday of month at 9:30am: January 9, March 13, May 8, July 10, September 11, November 13.

                                                             ii.      Next steps:  SCLS will reserve the Chester room at SCA for the 2019 meeting dates.

b.      Bootleg TV series DVDs

                                                              i.      Discussion:  MAD brought an example of a gift they received of The Crown (second season) that turned out to be a bootleg copy. The convincing packaging make it hard to identify as a bootleg.  Patrons and staff usually could tell that there was a problem when the discs were viewed in a DVD player, though, as the quality was not very good. MAD uses Midwest Tapes as a primary vendor. If MAD staff cannot find a TV series on Midwest Tapes, they will contact Midwest about it to verify that the title has actually been released on DVD. This is a reminder for libraries to stay away from ordering new materials from 3rd party vendors via Amazon.         

                                                             ii.      Next steps:  None (information sharing)

c.       DVD-R format update

                                                              i.      Discussion: We have discussed the DVD-R format in the past. It has since been reported that DVD-Rs may interfere with RFID tags. MAD hasn’t done serious testing yet, but it’s a huge drawback for that format. MAD and MID add stickers to their DVD-Rs stating that the item may not play in all DVD players. 

                                                             ii.      Next steps: None (information sharing)

d.      Cataloging of pop-up books: full or continue with PERM?

                                                              i.      Discussion:  Amy circulated a report of pop-up books. Pop-up books have been on the “PERM” list in the Levels of Cataloging policy for years but in practice many of these pop-up books have been fully cataloged. There are only a couple of libraries that put these books on Generic records. Now that publishers put in records so early, catalogers don’t always know if the book a “pop up” version from the OCLC record.  There are also varying degrees of “pop-up” books (every page, only last page, tabs, pullouts, etc.).  It looks like most of these items have been cataloged and are circulating. The argument in the past to keep them on PERM records was related to preventing possible damage if the books went out for holds. Do we want to change the policy to say these items require full MARC cataloging moving forward? Yes, we would like to move forward with cataloging pop-up books.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Amy will discuss this with the MAD catalogers and bring it back to this group in November to review policy changes.  

e.      Possible cataloging of Vox (audio-enabled) books: 80+ unique titles in system

                                                              i.      Discussion:  This was requested by FCH, who will be purchasing Vox books. Amy distributed a report of the Vox book titles that we have in the system, and we have 80+ unique titles. Do we want to catalog these items? MID is concerned about charging the books in-between patron checkouts. MID has 3 chargers and 23 titles and they are worried that these items will not get charged on a regular basis if the books go out for holds. The committee decided that we should not catalog the Vox books and continue to put them on Generic records for the following reasons:

1.      Books need to be charged regularly with a special charger and each book does not have its own charger. The publisher provides one charger for every five books. Some libraries have purchased extras but it would be cost-prohibitive to purchase chargers for each book.

2.      Unless you circulated a book with a charger, patrons would not be able to charge the books on their own. Also, due to the nature of the books and chargers, it would be challenging to package the books with the chargers for circulation.

3.      Currently each library charges the books after they come back before putting them back out on the shelf. If the books went out for holds the libraries would not be able to ensure that the books were charged when the patrons checked them out. There is a strong possibility that patrons would receive a book that was not charged and would not be able to use the audio-enabled part of the book, which would be a disservice to patrons.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Libraries will bring up the issues with charging these books to the vendor. Amy will follow up with FCH.

f.        Possible cataloging of GoChip Beams: 100+ unique titles in system

                                                              i.      Discussion: Amy distributed a report of the GoChip Beam items in the catalog – we have 100+ unique titles. Do we want to move forward with cataloging these? Libraries will be continuing to purchase additional GoChips – MAD, DFT and VER have standing orders. The committee decided that we will start cataloging the GoChip Beams.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Amy will discuss this with the MAD catalogers and bring it back to this group in November to review policy changes.   

g.      Bibliovation updates

                                                              i.      Discussion:  We are continuing to test and are waiting for some fixes from PTFS/LibLime. We have scheduled Bibliovation demos and User Groups for the fall. 

                                                             ii.      Next steps: The plan is still to migrate in the spring but that is dependent on how much progress is made this fall. We would not migrate over the summer.

5.      Plan for next meeting: November 14, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.

a.      Cataloging of pop-up books

b.      Catlaoging of GoChip Beams

6.      Adjournment: 10:25 am.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/09-2018