Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

January 10, 2018 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

 

Present: Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Theresa Skov (VER), Kayla Linke (SCLS), Amy Gannaway (SCLS)

Absent: D. Bird (SUN), L. Schmiedicke (MRO), L. Stuckey (MCF), Sarah Hartman (MID), Alison Wirth (STP)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

1.      Call to order at 9:39 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors.Kayla Linke (SCLS)

b.     Changes/additions to the agenda.M. Warren thanked Amy and Kate for their work on getting the Flipster MARC records in the catalog.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 13, 2017. The committee approved the September minutes via consensus.

3.      Discussion/Action items (90 min.)

a.      Update: Software Linking Manual revisions

                                                    i.     Posted online December 21.

b.     Update: Sound Recording Linking Manual revisions

                                                    i.     Amy needs to review, format and post the revisions.

c.      Update: Books Linking Manual revisions

                                                    i.     Kate is still working on final revisions. Today was the deadline for feedback. She will be working on finishing this up.

d.     Update: New Collection Code requests (MPL)

                                                    i.     BKJFIBI (BOOKS JU FIC BILINGUAL)

                                                   ii.     BKJNFBI (BOOKS JU NFIC BILINGUAL)

                                                  iii.     Approved by ILS Committee October 11 and added to Koha.

e.      Update: Discontinuing Serials Clones policy

                                                    i.     Approved by ILS Committee October 11.

f.       Update: Phonorecords (MPL)

                                                    i.     Approved by ILS Committee October 11.

                                                   ii.     Changes to Levels of Cataloging Policy, Sound Recordings BSE Policy, Sound Recordings Searching and Matching Policy

                                                  iii.     Discussion: Vinyl LPs are now being cataloged. There are over 200 items in MSBís collection. They are going out to fill holds and so far no damage to these items has been reported.

g.      Discussion of GEN records

                                                    i.     Problems with title not being specific enough on receipts, overdues, etc.

1.      Discussion: At the last ILS Committee meeting, a concern was shared that the GEN record title is confusing for patrons, because the title of the item does not display on receipts, the patronís list of checked out items, overdues, etc. It was noted the many libraries put the itemís title in the Call number field of the item record, and that receipts can be configured to print out the Call number field. VER puts the title in the copy field and that field prints on receipts.MAD puts the full title in the Call number field and it displays on the receipt and in the patronís list of checked out items in LINKcat. Sarah from MID mentioned in an email that MID puts the title in the Call number field. Itís possible that some libraries may not have their receipts set up to print the Call number field (or the items title may not be entered into the Call number field). The committee didnít want to make any changes to the GEN record procedures. Information about using the Call number field will be shared with any libraries that raise these concerns about the GEN record title.

2.      Motion: None.

3.      Action: None.

h.     New collection code request from POR

                                                    i.     VGA (Video Game Adult)

1.      Discussion:POR has requested a new collection code for Video Games Adult. They have almost 200 items. POR is only requesting an Adult collection code because they are currently using Software Adult for all video games, even if they are children or teen games (all of the games are shelved in the same area). MPL doesnít necessarily want to convert all of their video games to a new collection code, but if they did, they would like juvenile and young adult codes as well and adult code. MID and VER agree that if we are going to add a Video Games collection code, then we should do so for Adult, Juvenile, and YA. MID and VER would use these codes if they were created. MPL is concerned about having statistics for these items in different collection codes. The committee decided to go ahead and recommend the three new codes for Video Games. The Patron Description would be Video Games.

2.      Motion: M. Warren moves to create three collection codes: VGA (VIDEO GAMES AD), VGJ (VIDEO GAMES JU), VGY (VIDEO GAMES YA). T. Maes seconded. Vote: Motion carried.

3.      Action: This will go to the ILS Committee for approval in March.

i.       Barcode Placement Policy suggested change

                                                    i.     http://www.scls.info/ils/policies/cat/barcodeplacement-policy.html

                                                   ii.     Music CDS: Place barcode on front of jewel case rather than back

1.      Discussion: The Circulation Services Subcommittee (CSC) discussed this yesterday and decided to remove the word ďbackĒ from the policy to give libraries the option to put the barcode on the front or back, as long as itís in the upper right hand corner. We discussed some pros and cons of putting the barcode on the front vs. the back. When the barcode is on the front, there is a concern that the barcode obscures the cover art and the title/artist. Also, if the barcode is on the front of the jewel case, then replacing the jewel case cover means that the barcode must also be replaced. However, putting the barcode on the front makes it easier for patrons and staff to scan the barcode for checkout. But putting the barcode on the back can make it easier to staff to see the barcode on the item when pulling CDs for the picklist. The committee decided that they didnít have any objections to the CSC recommendation.

2.      Motion.None.

3.      Action: The CSC recommendation will go to the ILS Committee for approval in March.

4.      Next meeting at SCLS Headquarters Ė March 14, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.