Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

January 9, 2019 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

Action Items:

None

 

Present: Debbie Bird (SUN), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)

Absent: None

Excused: Sarah Hartman (MID), Molly Warren (MAD)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke

1.      Call to order: 9:34 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None

b.      Changes/additions to the agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: None

                                                             ii.      Additions: None

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: November 14, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None

b.      Motion: L. Stuckey moved approval of the November 14, 2018 CMS Minutes.  T. Skov seconded.

c.       Discussion: None

d.      Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      None

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      New Collection Code request: BDAPJ (BOOK/DIGITAL AUDIO JU)

1.      Discussion: Approved by ILS committee on 12/5/18 and added to Koha on 12/7/18.

                                                             ii.      Changes to Levels of Cataloging policy (Pop-up books and Video media players)

1.      Discussion: Approved by ILS committee on 12/5/18 and updated 12/12/18. MAD is currently working on cataloging GoChip Beams (video media players). If libraries get any new GoChip Beam titles, they can create a BSE. SUN has ordered some Playaway Bookpacks, which include a book and digital audio player (they also come in a Launchpad-type box). SUN has ordered the bookpacks in hanging bags and will bring an example to the next meeting if there is anything surprising.

                                                           iii.      Changes to Videorecordings BSE policy

1.      Discussion: Approved by ILS committee on 12/5/18 and updated 12/12/18.

                                                           iv.      Changes to Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy

1.      Discussion: Approved by ILS committee on 12/5/18 and updated 12/12/18.

                                                             v.      Linking Manual Updates for Pop-up books and Video media players

1.      Discussion: Completed 12/12/18.

                                                           vi.      Remove Received ACQ (Not for loan status)

1.      Discussion: Completed 12/28/18.

b.      Bibliovation updates

                                                              i.      Tentative go live timeline

1.      Discussion: We have told LibLime that we are not migrating before Fall 2019, but we don’t have a tentative migration date yet. ILS Staff are still testing and reporting problems to LibLime.    

2.      Next steps: SCLS staff will communicate to libraries when we have more information regarding the migration to Bibliovation.

                                                             ii.      Mandatory fields in item records

1.      Discussion: Mandatory item record fields do work in Bibliovation, unlike in our current version of Koha. In the Bibliovation sandbox, the Collection Code, Item Type, Home Library and Current Library are set as mandatory, meaning that you won’t be able to save an item record if one of those fields is blank. Committee members agreed that those fields should be mandatory, and that we did not need to set additional fields as mandatory. We don’t want to mark the barcode as mandatory because there are records saved without barcodes, such as on order item records or electronic resources item records. 

2.      Next steps: None. 

                                                           iii.      Date Modified (Dynix) field – remove?

1.      Discussion:  Amy is proposing that we remove the Date Modified (Dynix) field when we migrate to Bibliovation. When we migrated to Koha, we set up a field called Date Modified (Dynix) where we migrated the Date Modified field from the Dynix item record. In Koha, this field is static because there isn’t a Date Modified field in the Koha item record. Amy ran a report of the data from this field. The majority of the item records with data in this field appear to have the Dynix date, which we don’t really need anymore.  There are also about 1200 records with data that appears to have been mistakenly entered into this field – the data should have gone in the Acquired field. CMS members agreed that the Date Modified (Dynix) field can be removed in Bibliovation. 

2.      Next steps: Amy will provide a report to the appropriate libraries with data in this field, so they will have a chance to clean up anything that was incorrectly entered in this field.

                                                           iv.      Public Note field – remove?

1.      Discussion: Amy is asking for feedback on whether we need to continue using the Public Note field in Bibliovation. In Koha, the Public Note is a field in the item record that appears to patrons in LINKcat. It also appears in the item record and the item statuses page. Amy ran a report of the data from this field, and a lot of the data includes information about accompanying materials, damaged, missing parts, etc. These notes are appearing to patrons in LINKcat, but they seem to be notes for staff, rather than for patrons.  Some libraries have used Public Notes for items on generic records because it is searchable in the keyword index. Amy noted that the item call number is also searchable in the keyword index. Some libraries are currently using them for a note about DVD-R materials, but they could possibly use the Copy No field instead. There was concern as to whether we could get the field back if we wanted to use it later. Amy clarified that we wouldn’t actually “remove” the field from the item record in Bibliovation. Instead, we would “turn it off” so it wasn’t visible. We could migrate the existing Public Note data into the Non-public Note field in Bibliovation, so we wouldn’t lose the data. The Non-Public Note field would be visible to staff from the “Normal” screen in Bibliovation but in Koha this is not the case. CMS members decided that we could turn off the Public Note field in Bibliovation. The Circulation Services Subcommittee is also discussing this issue.           

2.      Next steps:  Amy will provide a report to the appropriate libraries who have item records with data in the Public Note, so they will have an opportunity to clean up or make changes.

                                                             v.      Date Last Seen field – where to display?

1.      Discussion: Amy is asking for feedback as to whether this field needs to display on the staff “Normal” screen. It will always display on the Item statuses page but if we want it to display in the Normal screen, then it would also display in the “Edit items” screen that staff would use to create and edit item records. Staff use the Last Seen Date frequently and would like to have it on the “Normal” screen. This is fine, but it will appear in the Edit Items screen as well; however, if you try to change the date in the Edit Items screen, the change doesn’t stick (which is good).

2.      Next steps: Amy will make the Date Last Seen field visible on the “Normal” screen.

                                                           vi.      Order and labeling of item record fields

1.      Discussion: In Bibliovation, we can change the order and labels of fields in the item record, so Amy is looking for feedback on the order and labeling of the fields. (We cannot do this in Koha.)

a.      There is a “new” field in Bibliovation labeled “Grubby.” This field is actually the “URI” (uniform resource identifier) field but we won’t need to use the URI field to enter a URI. Madison staff are working with Jody at SCLS to create a “Grubby” report, which will alert them to DVDs that need to be cleaned after so many circs. It would only display on the edit screen. If libraries aren’t using it, they can ignore it.

b.      Amy is looking for input on the labeling of Enumeration/Chronology field in the field. In Bibliovation, it is temporarily named “Magazine note.” In the Koha item record, it’s called “Serial enumeration / chronology,” but in the Normal screen it’s labeled “Publication Details.” And in LINKcat, it is called “Vol Info.” In Bibliovation, the label that we choose will be same for staff and patrons, so we want to choose something that makes sense for both groups. Members suggested that we use “Issue” for the label.      

2.      Next steps: Amy will make the appropriate changes in Bibliovation and will email a copy of the item record field order and labeling to the members. We will revisit this topic at the next meeting.  

                                                         vii.      Total checkouts data on Item status page

1.      Discussion: In Koha the Item Statuses screen displays the Checkouts Use Count for each item, and the Renewals Use Count for each item. This is use for the Current Year, because at the end of the year LibLime takes those numbers, adds them together and then adds this number to the “Dynix and Koha Past Use” field in the item record. However, in Bibliovation, only the Checkouts Use Count appears on the Item Statuses screen, but not the Renewals Use Count. Members said that having renewals and checkouts use counts appear on the Item Statuses screen is very helpful when library staff are weeding collections. Amy asked if using Crystal Reports would be acceptable (e.g. staff could enter an item barcode and get the use counts for the item) but staff noted that using Crystal Reports would require another step, logging in to another software, etc. Also, some staff don’t have ready access to Crystal Reports. Members agreed that it was important to have access to Item level use counts for both Checkouts and Renewals in Bibliovation. It would be ok if Checkouts and Renewals were recorded in one field, and it would also be ok if they were in separate fields – as long as all of the use is included.      

2.      Next steps: This will be revisited at the next meeting. SCLS staff will be discussing this topic with LibLime in February.

5.      Plan for Next meeting: March 13, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.

a.      Review order and labeling of item records in Bibliovation

b.      Follow-up on Checkouts and Renewals use counts

6.      Adjournment: 10:46 am.

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/1-2019