Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

March 13, 2019 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

Action Items:

Low use Shelving Locations to delete: PLC2F (Popular Library Collection 2nd Floor) and 2C (2nd Chance Collection)

Levels of Cataloging Policy, Under PERM category: change “Music cassettes” to “Music and Audio cassettes”

 

Present: Debbie Bird (SUN), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)

Absent: None

Excused: Kayla Linke (SCLS)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway

 

1.      Call to order time at 9:32 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: None.

                                                             ii.      Additions: None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      A. Gannaway stated that anyone at the meeting should feel free to ask questions or for clarification at any time.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: January 9, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: None.

b.      Approved by motion: T. Maes moved approval of the January 9, 2019 minutes.  D. Bird seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      Low use Shelving Locations to delete

                                                              i.      PLC2F (Popular Library Collection 2nd Floor)

                                                             ii.      2C (2nd Chance Collection)

1.      Motion: D. Bird moved to delete the low use Shelving Locations PLC2F (Popular Library Collection 2nd Floor) and 2C (2nd Chance Collection).  T. Maes seconded.

2.      Discussion: A. Gannaway does a regular review of Collection Codes and Shelving Locations that don’t have many items and these two came up.  These Shelving Locations were all attached to MPL items. MPL is no longer using these Shelving Locations, and the items have been marked withdrawn. 

3.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      Levels of Cataloging Policy

                                                              i.      Under PERM category: change “Music cassettes” to “Audio cassettes”

1.      Motion: M. Warren moved that on the Levels of Cataloging Policy, Under PERM category that we change “Music cassettes” to say “Music and Audio cassettes.”  T. Skov seconded.

2.      Discussion: This came from T. Maes at MAD.  There was a library that wanted to catalog kits with cassettes. In the Levels of Cataloging policy, the Sound Recordings section does not list any cassettes. At some point in the past, cassettes were removed because we stopped cataloging them. In the Level of Cataloging Policy, Under PERM, it only states “Music cassettes.”  The policy doesn’t explicitly say “Audio cassettes” under PERM. There was a time when we still cataloged books on cassette, but we did not catalog music cassettes. When we stopped cataloging books on cassettes as well, we didn’t update the PERM section. The members decided to change “Music cassettes” to “Music and Audio cassettes” to make it clear that all cassettes can go on a PERM record.  Patrons can still search for items on PERM records and place holds.  We just don’t do the full cataloging work on PERM records.  This language will be updated in the Linking manual.

3.      Vote: motion carried.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Bibliovation updates

                                                              i.      Public Note field

1.      Discussion: We talked about this at the last meeting.  Collection Maintenance and Discovery Interface Subcommittee members were in favor of migrating the public notes to the non-public note field.  The Circulation Services Subcommittee is OK migrating the public notes to non-public notes.  However, the CSS recently discussed this and members mentioned they use the public note because it displays on the checkin screen.  Some libraries do not like the checkin note pop-up and/or they have blocked pop-ups in the browser.  Also, circulation staff think it's more convenient to enter information in the public note because that field is on the item status screen.  Some libraries have been using the public note to list parts missing, and then they have been circulating items with missing parts on the regular bib record, which is not the recommended procedure.  In Bibliovation, we can set up the display so that the non-public and public notes appear on the Normal screen in the bib record, but the public note does not display in the patron Discovery Layer.   ILS staff are still testing in Bibliovation and will continue to test options for these notes/messages.  We will work with libraries on public note clean-up.  We could also decide to migrate the public note data into the checkin note instead of the non-public note.  L. Schmiedicke asked if there were examples of what could be put in the checkin note.  A. Gannaway believes this is in the Circulation manual but would need to verify this with H. Oliversen.  It’s possible that what’s in the Circulation manual may need clarification. L. Krantz asked if we could change the label of the public note to just “note.” A. Gannaway replied that we could change the label in the item editor and the Normal screen, but that she is not sure if the label would change on the item status page.

2.      Next steps: ILS staff will continue to get feedback from libraries about this.  A. Gannaway will bring any updates to the next meeting.          

                                                             ii.      Order and labeling of item record fields

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway emailed a sample item record with the order and labeling changes that we discussed at the last meeting. L. Kranz asked if we could move the Library and Current Library to the top of the list.  Currently, Barcode is first, then Item Type, and then Library. We can, but it would also change the display on the Normal screen.  A. Gannaway wasn’t sure if circulation staff felt it was important to have the barcode and item type first. A. Gannaway would want to have H. Oliversen check with Circulation staff for their input.  It would not affect the Discovery Layer view because Barcode and Item type aren’t displayed to patrons in the Discovery Layer.  A. Gannaway can change this in the sandbox so libraries can view what it would look like.

2.      Next steps: A. Gannaway will do necessary follow-up regarding moving Library and Current Library to the top of the Item record view.  Libraries should get feedback from their Linking staff about the order and labeling of item record fields.  We will discuss updates at the next meeting.            

                                                           iii.      Follow-up on Checkouts and Renewals use counts

1.      Discussion: LibLime added the Renewals use counts to the item status screen.  A. Gannaway explained that in Koha, there are “extra counts” being stored in item records, and that item record count is what is displayed on the item status screen.  In Bibliovation, the item record is no longer keeping these “extra counts” so the data on the item status screen is being pulled from the current and past checkout data.  SCLS staff met with LibLime and told them that YTD count checkout and renewal data was required on the item status screen, so LibLime also added YTD Checkouts and Renewals counts in the Item status screen in Bibliovation.  A. Gannaway explained that, for these YTD counts, if something is checked out in Dec 2018 and it’s renewed in Jan of 2019, the renewal will still go on the 2018 count.  We will continue to maintain and update the Past Use Dynix and Koha counts in the item record.  This field is located in the Edit Items pop-up screen and is also included on a Weeding report.

2.      Next steps: None.

b.      Clarification in Linking Manual for multi-part books: phonic book sets vs sets of Readers or other books

                                                              i.      Discussion:  In the Linking Manual Section V – Books, the Guidelines for Multi-part Books needs to be updated to reflect the policy change regarding circulating phonic book sets together as a set.  At the same time, A. Gannaway can also add language to clarify that other types of books, such as Readers or Picture books, that are purchased as a set, should still be split and circulated separately. If libraries have questions about a specific set, please fill out the pink multi-part pink form, and send the item and the form to MAD-TS. 

                                                             ii.      Next steps: A. Gannaway will work on updating the language in the manual clarifying that phonic books should be kept together and that this doesn’t include other children’s sets (such as Board Books or Readers).  We will review it at the next meeting.      

5.      Plan for the next meeting: May 8, 2019, 9:30 am at SCLS Headquarters

6.      Adjournment: 10:45 am

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/3-2019