Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

May 8, 2019, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

Action Items:

The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends adding the Collection Codes MF (MICROFORM), DVDAHL (DVD AD HOLIDAY), and DVDAAN (DVD AD ANIME).

The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends adding the Shelving Locations RK (RENK ROOM) and NAV (NEW AUDIOVISUAL).

 

Present: Debbie Bird (SUN), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)

Absent: Laura Schmiedicke (MRO)

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Kayla Linke, Amy Gannaway

 

1.      Call to order time at 9:32 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: none.

                                                             ii.      Additions: A. Gannaway added New Collection Code request from ORE for DVDAAN (DVD AD ANIME) under 3e.

c.       Requests to address the Committee. 

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: March 13, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: none.

b.      Approved by motion: T. Skov moved approval of the March 13, 2019 minutes.  T. Maes seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.   

3.      Action items

a.      New Collection Code Request from STP: MF (MICROFORM)

                                                              i.      Discussion: STP has 900+ microfilm/fiche items. STP has enough items for a new Collection Code. 

b.      New Shelving Location Request from SUN: RK (RENK ROOM)

                                                              i.      Discussion: SUN will house all 1000+ magazines in this room. Children and Teen magazines were previously stored in different areas of the library, but are being moved to the Renk Room with their Adult magazines.

c.       New Collection Code Request from MNT: DVDAHL (DVD AD HOLIDAY)

                                                              i.      Discussion: MNT will be joining LINKcat later this year. They are currently linking their collection in Koha. They will have 100+ adult holiday DVDs.

d.      New Shelving Location Request from MNT: NAV (NEW AUDIOVISUAL)

                                                              i.      Discussion: MNT is linking their collection. They will have approximately 50 new audiovisual items on a regular basis.

e.      New Collection Code Request from ORE: DVDAAN (DVD AD ANIME)

                                                              i.      Discussion: ORE has 200 adult anime DVDs and want this code so they are able to obtain better circulation statistics.  ORE just asked for an adult code at this time.  The committee discussed adding a juvenile code for anime DVDs, but they decided not to until there was a request.

f.        Motion: M. Warren moved to add the Collection Codes MF (MICROFORM), DVDAHL (DVD AD HOLIDAY), and DVDAAN (DVD AD ANIME) and the Shelving Locations RK (RENK ROOM), and NAV (NEW AUDIOVISUAL). L. Kranz seconded.

g.      Vote: motion carried.  This will go to the ILS Committee in June for final approval.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      Low use Shelving Locations to delete: PLC2F and 2C

1.      Discussion: Approved by ILS Committee 4/3/19 and deleted from Koha 4/10/19.

                                                             ii.      Changes to Levels of Cataloging policy: Change “music cassettes” to “music and audio cassettes” under PERM

1.      Discussion: Approved by ILS Committee 4/3/19. Policy updated and announced 4/12/19.

                                                           iii.      Cassettes Linking Manual updates

1.      Discussion: Section IV of Linking Manual updated 4/23/19.

                                                           iv.      Multi-part books Linking Manual updates

1.      Discussion: Section V of Linking Manual updated 4/23/19. The committee reviewed the text and there were no additional changes.

b.      Bibliovation updates

                                                              i.      Public Note field

1.      Discussion: The Public Note was discussed at the previous meeting.  This has gone to many different groups, including the Circulation Services Subcommittee, for feedback.  After considering all parties’ input, we have decided to keep the Public Note field, but it won’t display it to the public in Bibliovation.  (This cannot be done currently in Koha).  We can change the label of the Public Note to something else, such as “Staff Note,” but the label change would not appear on the Item statuses page, unless we did development.  Some staff have added information into the Public Note field because it displays on the checkin screen.  In Bibliovation, the label of the “Non-public note” has been changed to “Staff note” and this field also displays on the checkin screen in Bibliovation.  A. Gannaway did run reports for items with Public Notes and sent them to individual libraries to review and do clean-up if they choose.  Information was sent out to libraries to remind staff of the Missing Parts procedure because items shouldn’t keep circulating on the “regular” bib record if a part that is a required match point is missing. 

                                                             ii.      Order and labeling of item record fields

1.      Discussion: We discussed this at the previous meeting.  In Bibliovation, A. Gannaway moved the Home library and Current library fields to the beginning of the item record.  These fields will also display first on the Normal screen but members felt this wasn’t an issue. 

                                                           iii.      Cataloging checklist and Bibliovation testing

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway is finalizing the Cataloging testing checklist and will be sending it out soon to libraries for testing (possibly by the end of the week). 

5.      Plan for next meeting: July 10, 2019, SCLS Headquarters

6.      Adjournment: 10:11 am.

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/05-2019