Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

July 10, 2019, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

 

Action Items:

None

 

Present: Heather Garvey (SUN), Debbie Bird (POR), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU), Alison Wirth (STP)

Absent: None

Excused: Molly Warren (MAD)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present:  Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke

 

1.      Call to order at 9:31 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Debbie Bird is the new director at POR and will be representing them on this committee.  Heather Garvey will be replacing Debbie Bird on the committee as a representative for SUN.  Emily Sample is a practicum student from MAD attending via phone today with other TS staff.  Mari Jo Burri from BAR is sitting in as a guest.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: none.

                                                             ii.      Additions: none.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: May 8, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: none.

b.      Approved by motion: T. Skov moved approval of the May 8, 2019 CMS Minutes.  S. Hartman seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      None.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      New Collection Code requests: MF (MICROFORM), DVDAHL (DVD AD HOLIDAY), DVDAAN (DVD AD ANIME)

1.      Discussion: These collection codes were approved by the ILS Committee on June 5 and have been added to Koha.

                                                             ii.      New Shelving Location requests: RR (RENK ROOM), NAV (NEW AUDIOVISUAL)

1.      Discussion: These shelving locations were approved by the ILS Committee on June 5 and have been added to Koha.

b.      Bibliovation updates

                                                              i.      Discussion: The Public Note and Item Record work discussed at the May meeting has been completed and is now in the Bibliovation sandbox.  There are still various bugs related to Cataloging (such as batch edit item and delete), but LibLime is working on fixing them.  ILS Staff have prioritized the bugs in the order that LibLime should work on them. 

c.       Follow-up on Cataloging checklist testing

                                                              i.      Discussion:  The Cataloging checklists were sent out and we received good responses.  Thanks to everyone for testing.  As a result, SCLS staff reported some new things library staff found to LibLime.  A. Gannaway will be sending the Cataloging checklist out again for another round of testing after some more issues are addressed.  She will revise the checklist to include new features to be tested (i.e. editing BSE records).  Editing BSE records will be new in Bibliovation.  Currently, in Koha, libraries are unable to edit BSEs once they are created.  In Bibliovation, once MAD overlays a BSE record, it will not be editable.

d.      Communication and planning for migration

                                                              i.      Discussion:  The migration target is now January 2, 2020.  Bug fixes need to be done by end of summer, so ILS staff can prepare training for library staff.  With this revised date in mind, ILS staff plan to host Bibliovation training in mid-October thru early December.  We will offer in-person training for Cataloging and Serials in addition to shorter tutorials that staff can watch on their own time.  One person per library should plan to attend each module’s training.  They will then be asked to go back to their library and train their other staff (train-the-trainer format).  There will be some downtime associated with the migration.  There will be a Cataloging moratorium on editing bibs and items. At some point there will be a cutoff for adding new bibs and items as well. ILS staff will discuss this with LibLime.  There will also be a short period of time where Serials issues cannot be received.  The Acquisitions rollover will be affected and A. Gannaway might have libraries close 2019 early on the current system.  A. Gannaway will discuss this with LibLime and then talk to ILS libraries using Acquisitions to determine the best plan.  A. Gannaway reviewed some of the outstanding bugs with the group.  If anyone has feedback on Bibliovation training, please let A. Gannaway know.  The documentation and manuals will need to be updated.  In August, the ILS Committee will meet and talk about creating a committee/work group to help with PR and communication related to the migration.  They may be asking for volunteers from the Subcommittees, so please be on the lookout for email communication.  A. Gannaway might ask this group to review some training materials for feedback before they are sent out to all library staff.  Updates to the Linking manual instructions are also needed.             

                                                             ii.      Next steps: A. Gannaway plans to distribute a revised Cataloging checklist in late August/early September for a second round of testing.   

5.      Plan for next meeting: September 11, 2019 at SCLS Headquarters

6.      Adjournment: 10:01 am

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/07-2019