Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

September 11, 2019, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

Action Items:

The CMS recommends adding the new Collection Code DBRAAN (DVD BLU-RAY AD ANIME).

The CMS recommends adding the new Shelving Location SDY (Serendipity).

 

Present: Heather Garvey (SUN), Debbie Bird (POR), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)

Absent: None

Excused: Laura Schmiedicke (MRO)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke

 

1.      Call to order time at 9:35 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Mari Jo Burri (BAR) is attending as a visitor today. 

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes: none.

                                                             ii.      Additions: A. Gannaway added “New Shelving Location Request from MAD: SDY (Serendipity)” under Action items.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: July 10, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: none.

b.      Approved by motion: T. Maes moved approval of the July 10, 2019 meeting minutes.  S. Hartman seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      New Collection Code Request from POR: DBRAAN (DVD BLU-RAY AD ANIME)

                                                              i.      Motion: T. Skov moved approval of the New Collection Code DBRAAN.  L. Kranz seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: We have a DVD Anime code, but POR is purchasing a lot of Blu-ray copies of Anime titles.

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      New Shelving Location Request from MAD: SDY (Serendipity)

                                                              i.      Motion: A. Wirth moved approval of the New Shelving Location SDY.  H. Garvey seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: This is a walk-in collection that has more than 50 titles, so MAD would like a SDY Shelving Location.

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Updates from the previous meeting: None

b.      Cataloging checklist for Bibliovation

                                                              i.      Discussion: We will be doing another round of Cataloging testing.  We recently had updates that went into Bibliovation from LibLime.  We’d like to complete the majority of testing by the time Bibliovation training begins in mid-October.  A. Gannaway finished up the new Cataloging checklist for testers and it will be sent out today to the link-cat email list.  There are a few new items on the checklist that A. Gannaway reviewed with the group (i.e. editing BSEs). 

c.       Communication and planning for migration

                                                              i.      Review timeline and testing deadlines

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reminded the group that the Bibliovation migration date has been set for December 10.  The ILS Committee approved the migration timeline and the revised version will be posted to the ILS website.  ILS staff are still working on testing and documentation.  In-person Bibliovation training will begin in mid-October and end the week before Thanksgiving.  The in-person training will be in the “train the trainer” format.  ILS staff will be keeping an eye on attendance and will let libraries know if there is extra space to send additional staff to in-person training.  The Cataloging training will focus on creating BSEs and managing items, as well as batch edit of items.  The Serials training will cover receiving, subscriptions, and maintenance.  In November, we will ask this committee to sign off on the Cataloging and Serials portions of the software.  The ILS Committee will do a final sign off on the Bibliovation migration date at the beginning of December.  The system will go down starting at 9 pm on December 6.  We expect to be down 3 days and libraries should be using Offline Circulation during this time.  On December 9, ILS Staff will be checking to make sure everything is set-up correctly and is working.        

                                                             ii.      Review crosswalks

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway and K. Linke have been working on the drafts of Cataloging and Serials crosswalks.  Crosswalks are designed to explain differences between Koha and Bibliovation.  A. Gannaway reviewed the Cataloging crosswalk. Examples of some changes are: Bibliovation only lists the MARC tag number, there are different BSE templates for each format, staff will be able to search and link to author authority records instead of entering the author directly into the BSE. There is also a crosswalk for Serials. Some of the changes are: we will use Serials instead of Periodicals, full title displays in the search results list, and the titles will be ordered alphabetically instead of by date. 

2.      Next steps: A. Gannaway will make these crosswalks into Google docs so and send out the links to this committee. Committee members can add and edit the crosswalks.         

                                                           iii.      Review Linking Manual updates

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway created new Linking Manual sections that have been updated for Bibliovation The Cataloging testing checklist will refer people back to the manual, so there are written instructions that people can refer to when doing the testing.  A. Gannaway will be creating shorter on-demand tutorials for library staff.  After some discussion, the group decided that we can remove the format type of Romance because this information is no longer useful.  This requires a policy update. S. Hartman asked about the limit of titles on generic records.  If they have a generic record with more than 100 items, should they be splitting them out?  A. Gannaway said we could bump the limit to 500 items per generic record.  This is the same limit for serials clone records.

2.      Next steps: Send changes or comments on the Linking Manual to A. Gannaway. If anything requires a policy change (such as the Romance format type change), we can do that at the November meeting.

                                                           iv.      Review Serials Manual updates

1.      Discussion: K. Linke has prepared a draft of the Serials manual that is updated for Bibliovation.  L. Kranz mentioned the Serials checkin section.  She asked that we include instructions on how to get from the bib to the item record that was just created. K. Linke will work on adding these instructions to the manual.  There are more pop-up messages in Bibliovation that cannot be turned off.  Library staff should be prepared for this. 

2.      Next steps: K. Linke will continue to work on the Serials manual. Send any changes or comments to K. Linke. 

                                                             v.      Training schedule

1.      Discussion: In-person Bibliovation training is scheduled for mid-October through mid-November and registration is open.

5.      Plan for the next meeting: November 13, 2019, at SCLS Headquarters

a.      Cataloging policy changes

b.      Review and approve Cataloging and Serials areas of Bibliovation

6.      Adjournment: 10:14 am.

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/09-2019