Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes
November 13, 2019, 9:30 am
The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends adding the Collection Codes BKYFIWL (BOOKS YA FIC WORLD LANG) and BKYNFWL (BOOKS YA NFIC WORLD LANG).
The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends amending the Books BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy to Remove Romance: Romance paperbacks under Type: Format Type.
Present: Carol Kaufman (SUN), Debbie Bird (POR), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)
Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)
Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke, Vicki Teal Lovely
1. Call to Order at 9:31 am
a. Introduction of guests/visitors.
i. V. Teal Lovely is attending as a guest today. Carol Kaufman is attending her first meeting today via phone.
b. Changes/Additions to the Agenda
c. Requests to address the Committee
2. Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 11, 2019
a. Discussion: none.
b. Motion: D. Bird moved approval of the September 11, 2019 CMS Minutes. T. Skov seconded.
c. Vote: motion carried.
3. Action Items
a. New Collection Code Requests from SUN
i. BKYFIWL (BOOKS YA FIC WORLD LANG)
ii. BKYNFWL (BOOKS YA NFIC WORLD LANG)
iii. Motion: T. Maes moved approval of adding BKYFIWL (BOOKS YA FIC WORLD LANG) and BKYNFWL (BOOKS YA NFIC WORLD LANG). A. Wirth seconded.
1. Discussion: These requests came from SUN. Their children’s librarian noted we had codes like this for Adult and Juvenile. They would like them for Young Adult. We are not adding any new codes to the system until after January 1, but we can go through the approval process now. This will go to ILS Committee for final approval.
2. Vote: motion carried.
b. Change to Books BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy
i. Remove Romance: Romance paperbacks under Type: Format Type
1. Motion: L. Kranz moved to amend the Books BSE Policy and remove Romance: Romance paperbacks under Type: Format Type. S. Hartman seconded.
2. Discussion: We had talked at the last meeting about not needing a Romance Paperbacks format type anymore. MAD was OK with this. This was something that was developed when South Central Library System was handling the cataloging of romance paperbacks. This will go to the ILS Committee for final approval.
3. Vote: motion carried.
c. Review and approve Cataloging and Serials areas of Bibliovation
i. Motion: D. Bird recommended we move forward with the migration on December 6, 2019 with the understanding that there are still outstanding problems but nothing that would prevent us from moving forward with the migration to Bibliovation. L. Kranz seconded.
ii. Discussion: This committee is responsible for reviewing functionality for Cataloging and Serials. Committee members went through the Cataloging and Serials testing checklists and the critical functionality is working. There aren’t any outstanding issues in Serials. The outstanding issues for Cataloging are:
1. Searching truncated item barcodes: Leading zeros don’t work when searching barcodes. The truncated barcode searching in general is a little more expansive and not as precise. If you search a truncated barcode the search may return other matches. Searching a full barcode should take you directly to the item.
2. Editing BSEs/bib records: After editing a BSE, saving it, and going to the Normal screen, you don’t see your changes unless you refresh the browser. This has been reported to LibLime, but will not be fixed before go live.
3. Batch item edit: The Batch Item edit is more complicated. There are some areas where we have to work on making improvements post go live. A. Gannaway will take screen shots in Koha to show LibLime what is missing in Bibliovation.
iii. Vote: motion carried.
i. DBRAAN (DVD BLU-RAY AD ANIME) Collection Code
ii. SDY Shelving Location
1. Discussion: These codes were approved by the IC and have been added to the system.
b. Bibliovation updates
i. Cataloging and Serials testing
1. Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the outstanding problems that were reported from the latest round of testing. Testing is now considered complete. After the migration, we will be asking for more help testing new fixes and development.
c. Communication and planning for migration
i. Review timeline and testing deadlines
1. Discussion: On the LINKcat News blog, there is a Bibliovation Migration Events for Libraries page which lists the detailed timeline. A. Gannaway reviewed this with the group. Library staff can keep working as usual (adding items, serials, etc.) up until 9 pm on December 6, at which time the system will go down. After we come back up, the priority will be uploading offline circulation files, doing checkin, and making LINKcat available. There will be a brief Technical Services moratorium after the system comes back up on Bibliovation. Tentatively, the moratorium will end on December 12, but we will notify libraries of the specific date after we are live on Bibliovation. Bibliovation announcements will now be listed at the top of Top 5. We will remind library staff they can subscribe to the LINKcat News blog.
ii. Cataloging and Serials crosswalks
1. Discussion: A. Gannaway asked the committee members to add additional items to the crosswalks by today. She will get these finalized and posted/announced as soon as possible.
iii. Linking and Serials manuals
1. Discussion: The Bibliovation drafts are posted on the Linking and Serials Manual pages.
iv. Other training, tutorials, etc.
1. Discussion: The training materials are posted on the Bibliovation Training information for Library Trainer page. A Cataloging Quick Guide was written by T. Maes and A. Gannaway will post it as soon as possible. There are also Quick Guides for Serials available. We are not sure if the Bibliovation sandbox will be available during the downtime. We will add information about this to the Bibliovation Migration Events for Libraries page.
5. Plan for Next meeting: January 8, 2020
6. Adjournment at 10:12 am
For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.
SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.
Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/11-2019