Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

January 8, 2020, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

 

Present: Debbie Bird (POR), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Linda Stuckey (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)

Excused: Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Carol Kaufman (SUN), Alison Wirth (STP)

Absent: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present:† Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke

 

1.      Call to Order at 9:31 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: November 13, 2019

a.      Motion: T. Skov moved approval of the November 13, 2019 CMS Meeting minutes.† T. Maes seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      BKYFIWL and BKYNFWL collection codes

                                                             ii.      Remove Romance: Romance paperbacks under Type: Format Type of Books BSE Policy

                                                           iii.      Discussion:† The new collection codes were approved by the ILS Committee, but they havenít yet been added to production.† A. Gannaway will talk to C. Weber about when it will be possible to add these codes.† We had to wait for after the Bibliovation upgrade, but she hopes they can be added by the end of the month.† A. Gannaway removed Romance paperbacks as a format type on the Books BSE Policy and updated the Linking manual.†

b.      Cataloging of Vox / Wonderbooks (audio-enabled books)

                                                              i.      Discussion: This was discussed before and the subcommittee decided not to catalog these items because of the problem with needing a headphone jack to charge them. †The new Vox audio-enabled books now have mini USBs to use for charging.† Can we start cataloging these titles?† Wonderbooks is similar to Vox and was created by Playaway.† VER has been purchasing these titles as well.† We now have 3 different types of audio-enabled books in the system.† We have several hundred items that require a headphone jack for charging and these items are currently on generic records.† A headphone charger is not something patrons would have at home and there is the potential for the items to circulate without being charged.† Now that Vox and Wonderbooks are using micro USB chargers, patrons could charge these items on their own and it seems appropriate to catalog them.† VER has 150 titles and they are flying off the shelf, so it doesnít make sense for this to be a browse collection.† The issue for MAD is they have a significant amount of titles that require the headphone jack.† They could go on separate records, but it would be confusing for patrons.†

                                                             ii.      Next steps: It was decided the headphone jack Vox items should remain on generic records and the new Micro USB charger items for Vox and Wonderbooks could be cataloged.We will call these items audio-enabled books.† At the Cataloging meeting next week, MAD and ILS staff can discuss the cataloging details.† We will bring policy changes back to this group in March to review.† ††††††††

c.       Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: There have been few problems reports with Cataloging.† There was a question about creating a BSE.† When you add ISBNs with a scanner to the record itís adding carriage returns.† MAD is able to overlay these, so libraries donít need to worry about this.† Another question about BSEs was the backspace doesnít stop with one field and will continue to delete from other fields as long as the key is held down.† Libraries should select ďClose without savingĒ and ďLeave editorĒ in order to start over.† A. Gannaway has seen this happen and the options to close without saving are confusing.If you add a book from a series, where should the book volume number be listed? †Libraries can just put it in the notes.† A few libraries noticed that item record session defaults arenít always saved.† They donít save from tab to tab and it also doesnít work if youíre cloning a record.† What we would need to do is add a piece to the software where libraries can save session defaults to their account.† A. Gannaway reviewed the Known Problems page.† There are a few problems with the Batch Editor that are listed.† The jobs are supposed to run in the background and there is an issue with this that LibLime is looking into.† Can the bib number be displayed at top of record?† Itís in the url and if you open the Marc records tab.† K.Linke will see if it can be added to the Normal screen.† Can we have a tutorial video about adding fields and subfields?† MAD gets a lot of questions via email about how to do this.† There are instructions in the Linking manual.† A. Gannaway will be working on more tutorials at some point.† Libraries asked about the different between withdrawing, deleting, and selecting for deletion differences.† Select for deletion is for deleting multiple items on the record.† The button to complete this step is at the very bottom and difficult to see. †There is information in the Linking manual about deleting individual items.† Whether to use withdrawn or delete is up to individual libraries.† ††††††††††††

5.      Plan for Next meeting:† 9:30 am on March 11, 2020 at SCLS Headquarters

6.      Adjournment at 10:34 am.

 

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/01-2020