Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

May 13, 2020, 9:30 am

Phone/web conference

 

Action Items:

The CMS recommends deleting the low use Collection Code CDYMS.

The CMS recommends deleting the low use Shelving Locations OVLL, FR, and GGML.

 

Present: Debbie Bird (POR), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Amy Lawrence (MCF), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Celine Metzig (WAU)

Excused: Theresa Skov (VER), Kate Odahowski (MAD)

Absent: Carol Kaufman (SUN), Alison Wirth (STP)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke

 

1.      Call to Order

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors:

                                                              i.      Amy Lawrence from MCF is new to the committee.  She is replacing Linda Stuckey, who is retiring. 

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: March 11, 2020

a.      Motion: M. Warren moved approval of the March meeting minutes.  D. Bird seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      Low Use Collection Codes to delete:

                                                              i.      CDYMS (COMPACT DISCS YA MUSIC) – 0 items

1.      Motion: L. Krantz moved to delete the low use Collection Code CDYMS.  D. Bird seconded.

2.      Discussion:  none. 

3.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      Low Use Shelving Locations to delete:

                                                              i.      OVLL (Oversize, Lower Level) – 0 items

                                                             ii.      FR (Favo-Reads Display) – 13 items

                                                           iii.      GGML (Go Green Collection, Main Level) – 0 items

1.      Motion: C. Metzig moved to delete the low use Shelving Locations OVLL, FR, and GGML.  S. Hartman seconded.

2.      Discussion: MAD is will to change the Shelving Location on the 13 items using FR.  OVLL and GGML were no longer being used. 

3.      Vote: motion carried.

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meetings

                                                              i.      Audio enabled books policy changes

1.      Policies and Linking Manual updated

2.      Discussion: K. Linke created a new BSE template for audio enabled books and some libraries have started adding items to the catalog.

                                                             ii.      Video media players policy changes

1.      Policies and Linking Manual updated

                                                           iii.      New Collection Code BKJFICH (BOOKS JU FIC CHAPTER) and Shelving Location SPA (SPANISH LANGUAGE COLLECTION)

1.      added to Bibliovation

                                                           iv.      Prioritizing Technical Services Bibliovation problems

1.      Reviewed by ILS Committee and submitted to LibLime

2.      2nd round: Session defaults are not applied when a new browser tab is opened

3.      2nd round: Status Not for loan subscription item default not migrated correctly

4.      Discussion:  A. Gannaway reviewed the TS problems at April IC meeting.  A survey was done of library directors for additional input on problems that should go into the next two round of fixes. The IC prioritized the two problems listed above for the second round of fixes.  The first round of fixes were mainly devoted to Circulation and Discovery Layer problems.  The batch item edit problem was recently fixed by LibLime.  A. Gannaway sent out an email to libraries about this.  LibLime had to make some changes on a system level and it didn’t require a software upgrade.

                                                             v.      Spanish language subject headings

1.      Discussion: We are currently leaving any Spanish language headings in records that are being imported.  Backstage, our authority control vendor, is able to validate at least one of the thesauri (QLSP) and is working on others (Bilindex, BNE). They are working on putting QLSP in place, and once it is, they will validate the records that have these headings.

b.      Generic records / browse only collections in LINKcat

                                                              i.      Discussion: Some libraries have asked over the years if they can make their browse collection searchable for patrons in LINKcat.  It came up again recently because of library closures and curbside pickup. Browse collections are suppressed from LINKcat because they are meant for patrons to come in to the library to check them out and they are not available for holds. This is a preliminary discussion – no changes have been made. We are looking for feedback right now.  What would we need to do?  Could the browse collections be made available in a way that’s clear to patrons these items are not normally available for regular holds?  Several committee members expressed concern over this causing patron confusion and defeating the purpose of a browse collection, which is to get patrons in the building.  Some stated that if patrons saw these items in LINKcat, then they would expect library staff to set aside the items for them. However, this could change depending on how long the curbside pickup goes on. A. Gannaway will report back to IC that this group feels that we don’t need to recommend changes at this time, but also that it’s a larger question and goes beyond this group.  It may need to be revisited if the curbside pickup continues for a while.            

c.       Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway mentioned the Newspaper Index.  When we migrated to Bibliovation, we didn’t upgrade it because we were preoccupied with other tasks.  The Newspaper Index is a separate database.  LibLime wants to upgrade it and A. Gannaway is working on moving forward with that.  We don’t have a date yet, but A. Gannaway will talk to LibLime next week about possibly scheduling this at the end of May.  There will be a brief amount of downtime for staff and it may be longer for patrons.  A. Gannaway will report back when she has more information.     

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  July 8, 2020 phone/video conference

6.      Adjournment at 10:20 am

 

For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/05-2020