Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

July 14, 2021, 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:

·         The CMS recommends adding the following new Collection Codes; BAEJ (Staff: BOOK/AUDIO-ENABLED JU; Patron: Audio-Enabled Books), BKJFIBR (Staff: BOOKS JU FIC BEGINNER ; Patron: Beginner Readers), BKYFIGNMG (Staff: BOOKS YA FIC GRAPHIC NOVELS MANGA ; Patron: Graphic Novels, Manga), and PAAFICL (Staff: PAPERBACKS AD FIC CLASSICS ; Patron: Classics Paperbacks).

·         The CMS recommends adding the following new Shelving Locations; ADPA (Adult, Paperbacks), CR (Children’s Resource Collection), YADIS (Young Adult Display).

Present: Jennifer Hepler (POR), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Amy Lawrence (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Kate Hull (SUN)
Excused: LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Sarah Hartman (MID), Molly Warren (MAD), Alison Wirth (STP), Celine Metzig (WAU)
Michelle Karls (SCLS)
SCLS Staff Present:
Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke


1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Kathy Baker (MFD) will be joining the subcommittee when the Everett Roehl Marshfield Public Library (MFD) joins LINKcat in September.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      A. Gannaway added “Hybrid meetings in September” as 4f.  T. Maes added “Update: title change” as 4g.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: May 12, 2021

a.      Motion: T. Maes moved approval of the May meeting minutes.  T. Skov seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      New Collection Code requests from Marshfield:

                                                              i.      BAEJ (Staff: BOOK/AUDIO-ENABLED JU ; Patron: Audio-Enabled Books)

                                                             ii.      BKJFIBR (Staff: BOOKS JU FIC BEGINNER ; Patron: Beginner Readers)

                                                           iii.      BKYFIGNMG (Staff: BOOKS YA FIC GRAPHIC NOVELS MANGA ; Patron: Graphic Novels, Manga)

                                                           iv.      PAAFICL (Staff: PAPERBACKS AD FIC CLASSICS ; Patron: Classics Paperbacks)

                                                             v.      Motion.  T. Skov moved approval of the new Collection Codes BAEJ, BKJFIBR, BKYFIGNMG, PAAFICL requested by MFD.  L. Schmiedicke seconded.

                                                           vi.      Discussion: A. Gannaway discussed MFD’s needs for new collection codes as they migrate to Bibliovation.  MFD has more than 20 items for each new code request.  A. Gannaway and K. Linke have been working on mapping their data to Bibliovation.  

                                                         vii.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      New Shelving Location requests from Marshfield:

                                                              i.      ADPA (Adult, Paperbacks)

                                                             ii.      CR (Children’s Resource Collection)

                                                           iii.      YADIS (Young Adult Display)

                                                           iv.      Motion: L. Schmiedicke moved approval of the new Shelving Locations ADPA, CR, and YADIS requested by MFD.  T. Skov seconded. 

                                                             v.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the requests. 

                                                           vi.      Vote: motion carried.

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meetings

                                                              i.      Changes to Books Searching and Matching Policy

1.      Approved by ILS Committee on 6/2/21

                                                             ii.      Discontinue Serials Searching and Matching Policy

1.      Approved by ILS Committee on 6/2/21

                                                           iii.      Low Use Collection Codes and Shelving Locations to delete:

1.      PBJNFBI (Bilingual Picture Books, Non-Fiction)

a.      PBJNFBI was deleted on 6/2/21, after approval by ILS Committee on 6/2/21.

2.      GR2F (Green Reads Collection, 2nd Floor)

a.      GR2F was deleted on 6/2/21, after approval by ILS Committee on 6/2/21.

3.      AV1F (Audiovisual, 1st Floor)

a.      AV1F was deleted on 6/2/21, after approval by ILS Committee on 6/2/21.

b.      Cataloging of Playaway Launchpads as video games or software (request from Marshfield)

                                                              i.      Discussion:  L. Kranz (DFT) reported by email they have 273 Launchpads and want to keep them on generic records.  They are worried about damage to them if they went out in delivery (it could cost a patron up to $200 to replace if the device is damaged).  A. Gannaway reviewed the Levels of Cataloging Policy.  This policy and others, as well as the Linking Manual, would need to be updated if we decide to catalog these materials. Members wanted time talk to their YS staff and get feedback.  This would be a really big change.  We will talk more about this at the September meeting. 

c.       Update on Spanish language subject headings

                                                              i.      Discussion: K. Linke and T. Maes had no update on Spanish language subject headings.  No one had questions at this time. 

d.      Update on Multi-part DVDs Packaging Workgroup

                                                              i.      Discussion:  The next meeting will take place on September 30 from 1–3 pm via phone/videoconference.  The group will be reviewing the survey that was sent out to libraries at this meeting. 

e.      Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion:  L. Schmiedicke asked if they should report duplicate records from RIO.  K. Linke said libraries can report them and she will make them a priority to fix.  She is currently working on clean-up right now, but it may take a while to complete.  We are suppressing their TV series DVDs (because they still need to be split up into individual discs) and Serials.  We will go back to those and get them on the right record. 

f.        Hybrid meetings.

                                                              i.      Discussion: In September, SCLS staff will be going back to office more officially.  We will be offering an option to attend these meetings at SCLS Headquarters or virtually. More information will be coming.

g.      Update: Title change

                                                              i.      Discussion: T. Maes found out from YS librarians that the title of the book “George” by Alex Gino should be updated to “Melissa’s Story.” T. Maes has made changes to the title in LINKcat and reviewed them for the group.  There was concern the cover art doesn’t match the new title.  A note was added saying Melissa’s Story is formally known as “George”.  K. Odahowski mentioned this news came from twitter and may not be well known yet.  In WorldCat, libraries have not started updating the title yet.  The author lists this books as “Melissa’s Story (George).”  This might be an option for the 245 field.  We could use brackets like we do for Multi-part items.  Libraries can also can add additional spine labels with the new title.  K. Odahowski suggested we send out emails to owning libraries with background information and steps that will be taken.  T. Maes will send an email to the link-cat and link-circ email lists with the background and steps.

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  September 8, 2021 at 9:30 am

6.      Adjournment at 11: 05 am.



For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/07-2021