Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes
November 10, 2021, 9:30 am
The CMS recommends adding the New Shelving Location request STU (Studio).
The CMS recommends adding the New Collection Code request LPPB (LARGE PRINT PICTURE BOOKS ; Large Print, Picture Books).
The CMS recommends the changes discussed for the following policies: Books BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Sound Recordings BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Videorecordings BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Software BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Generic and Perm Records Policy, Linking Items Policy, and Serials Receiving Policy (see below, 3 c-f for details).
Present: Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman
(MID), Amy Lawrence (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz
(DFT), Kate Hull (SUN), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Kathy Baker (MFD)
Absent: Jennifer Hepler (POR), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO)
Excused: Sarah Bukrey (STO), Kate Odahowski (MAD)
Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)
SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke
1. Call to Order at 9:30 am
a. Introduction of guests/visitors
b. Changes/Additions to the Agenda
c. Requests to address the Committee
2. Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 8, 2021
a. Motion: T. Maes moved approval of the September meetings. K. Baker seconded.
b. Discussion: none.
c. Vote: motion carried.
3. Action Items
a. New Shelving Location Request from Madison:
i. STU (Studio)
1. Motion: T. Skov moved approval of the minutes. S. Hartman seconded.
2. Discussion: PIN has special space and want to keep books in that area. Similar to bubbler areas of MAD Central. They have enough items to warrant a separate code.
3. Vote: motion carried.
b. New Collection Code Request from Middleton:
i. LPPB (LARGE PRINT PICTURE BOOKS ; Large Print, Picture Books)
1. This is a new collection for us, consisting of picture books for adults dealing with dementia. We're looking specifically at the series Nana's Books, as well as examples like 1950s Memory Lane (9781548412913) and The Splendor of Babies (9781519316370 ; in LINKcat bib#1328387). Some of them are pictures only with no text, but many have text and they're overall marketed as large print picture books. The example noted above that's in LINKcat has the large print designation. We don't feel the other large print collection codes work for this very different type of material, and these books will be shelved separately. We want to be able to track stats separately as well, so we know how to grow the collection. We do expect the collection to expand as our population ages. We're hoping to get around 40 books for launch.
2. Motion: K. Baker moves. K. Hull seconded.
3. Discussion: S. Hartman reviewed the recommendation from MID. Outreach librarian has been to a few senior living facilities, their staff recommended MID purchase some of these and that their patients would find it useful. T. Maes is there a good way to keep them findable with a genre. They aren’t all illustrated works and picture books doesn’t seem to fit either. Subject Heading: catalogers can discuss this.
4. Vote: motion carried.
c. Books BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Sound Recordings BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Videorecordings BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy, Software BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy
i. Change Use the BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) framework to create new BSE bibs to Use the Cataloging BSE template for the appropriate format to create new BSE bibs.
ii. Remove Type before Format Type, Target Audience, and Library.
d. Generic and Perm Records Policy
i. Change GEN (Generic) framework to GENERIC BSE template.
ii. Change BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) framework to PERM BSE template.
e. Linking Items Policy
i. Change permanent location to library.
ii. Change current location to current library.
iii. Change date created to date acquired.
f. Serials Receiving Policy
i. Change Koha Periodicals to the serials module.
g. Motion: K. Baker moved approval of the suggested changes to the policies mentioned in items c-f on the agenda. L. Kranz seconded.
h. Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the suggested changes to Items c – f and displayed a template example. Framework was a Koha term and in Bibliovation it’s now called a Template. The labels have also been changed. In Koha, the BSE labeling the word “type” was displaying in front. This was removed. This is kind of true for all the BSE policies. We can approve policy changes in c-f as a group. In the Linking Items policy, Date Created label was changed to Date Acquired. For the Serials policy, in Koha we used Periodicals, but in Bibliovation we now use Serials. A. Gannaway chose the “Serials Module” to keep the language more generic in case they make changes in the future.
i. Vote motion carried.
a. Updates from previous meetings: None
b. Update on Multi-part DVDs Packaging Workgroup
i. Discussion: There is now a Steering group for this and they have scheduled regular meetings to discuss how we to collect data and work on the process to make this decision. We have an open Doodle poll for the whole workgroup now to figure out when they can meet next.
c. Bibliovation questions and/or discussion
i. Discussion: Registration is open for the Linking, GetIt Acquisitions, and the Serials User Groups that are scheduled for December. We are still working on an upgrade for Bibliovation that consists of mostly Circulation related updates. There is a Self-check issue and it is taking LibLime some time to get everything fixed. We have to make sure that Self-check will work.
5. Plan for Next meeting: January 12, 2022 at 9:30 am via phone/web conference.
6. Adjournment at 9:58 am
For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.
SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.
Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/11-2021