Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

July 13, 2022 at 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:

The CMS recommends changes to the Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy Multi-part items section:

·         Replace “Television fiction mini-series: Separate” and “Television series: Separate” with “Television fiction mini-series and series: Together”

·         Add “series” to “Non-fiction instructional, mini-series and documentaries”

The CMS recommends creating two new codes:

·         Collection Code: LPJ (LARGE PRINT JU ; Large Print)

·          Shelving Location: LOC (Local Collection)


Present: Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Amy Lawrence (MCF), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Kate Hull (SUN), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Kathy Baker (MFD), Eric Crow (MTH), Ronda Evenson (VER)

Absent: Alison Wirth (STP), LuAnn Kranz (DFT)
Jennifer Hepler (POR),

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke


1.      Call to Order at 9:31 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors. 

                                                              i.      Ronda Evenson from VER is filling in for Theresa Skov today, who is on vacation this week.  Eric Crow from MTH has joined the subcommittee and this is his first meeting.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda.

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: May 11, 2022

a.      Motion: K. Baker moved approval of the May meeting minutes.  T. Maes seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy Multi-part items section

                                                              i.      Television fiction mini-series: change “Separate” to “Together”

                                                             ii.      Television series: change “Separate” to “Together”

1.      Motion: L. Schmiedicke move to change the Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy Multi-part items section as follows:

a.      Replace “Television fiction mini-series: Separate” and “Television series: Separate” with “Television fiction mini-series and series: Together”

b.      Add “series” to “Non-fiction instructional, mini-series and documentaries”

c.       E. Crow seconded.

2.      Discussion: The policy updates are part of the change for multi-part DVD sets that was passed at the May All Directors meeting. The change is slated to take effect September 1. At this time, the change would apply to items that are new to the catalog. The Multi-part DVD work Group is meeting in July and August to discuss retroactive cataloging and other issues. The change passed at the All Directors was for fiction materials only. The multi-part items policy for Television series was not broken up into fiction vs. non-fiction. Reality television shows may be similar to fiction TV series, but they are non-fiction. Because the change at All Directors covered fiction materials, and because there are non-fiction TV shows that are very large sets (such as Rick Steves), the group decided combine Television fiction mini-series and Television series into one line for Television fiction mini-series and series. These will be circulated together. We will add “series” to the non-fiction line so this part will cover all non-fiction DVDs. The non-fiction DVDs will continue to be separated, unless each part cannot stand alone.

3.      Vote: motion carried.  This will go to the ILS Committee for final approval.

b.      New Collection Code request from MRO

                                                              i.      LPJ (LARGE PRINT JU ; Large Print)

1.      Motion:  K. Baker moved approval of LPJ and LOC. L. Schmiedicke seconded. 

2.      Discussion: This request came from MRO.  They are planning to create a Large Print collection in the Children’s area for these items.  MAD would probably use this too.

3.      Vote: motion carried.

c.       New Shelving Location request from WAU

                                                              i.      LOC (Local Collection)

1.      Motion:  see above 3b1 (combined motions into one)

2.      Discussion: This request came from WAU.  This would be materials by local authors, which will consist of difference formats shelved together.  There is a Local Materials Collection Code, but that’s used more for genealogy and the collection is comprised of mostly books. T. Maes asked about using the word Collection in Shelving Locations. A. Gannaway stated that we do have other Shelving Locations with the word Collection, such as Parenting Collection, Wisconsin Collection, etc. These are special collections that are shelved together and usually consist of materials in different formats, so the items would have the collection codes appropriate to the format. R. Evenson mentioned that Shelving Location is used to tell patrons where to find the particular item in the library.  

3.      Vote: see above 3b3

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      Low use Collection Codes and Shelving Locations

1.      BKAFISL, CAY, RFTB, MED1F, and TD were deleted on 6/10/22, after approval by ILS Committee on 6/1/22.

                                                             ii.      Development Updates

1.      Staff only codes search on advanced search page

2.      Place Add Item button at top of Edit items page

3.      Duplicate BSE ISBN check

4.      Call number browse

5.      Batch item edit work

a.      Discussion:  The codes on the advanced search page is in production because that was something that Rose could do. LibLime were given the BSE ISBN check and Add Item button projects to start on.  The Call Number browse development will cost a fair amount of money.  V. Teal Lovely will be following up with libraries to potentially sponsor this development because of the price.  The Batch Edit Item quote was also sent to LibLime to work on. 

b.      Linking Manual updates for multi-part DVD TV series

                                                              i.      Discussion:  K. Linke went over the Linking manual potential edits in the Videorecording section. She will continue to make based on today’s meeting and the Multi-part Workgroup meetings.  K. Linke can send out a draft with additional changes via email to get feedback from the group. 

c.       Other Multi-part DVD TV series questions and discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: What does this group think about making the packaging change to retroactive materials?  If a library receives a new copy of an old title and there is still a bib where the discs are still separated.  Do they need to separate out our discs and link to the existing records?  The Multi-part DVDs Packing Work Group will be discussing this at the meeting.  MAD likes the idea of creating a new version for the “old” titles.  This way the older records that are separate will eventually filter out as libraries weed materials.  This would be confusing for patrons.  This will be discussed at the meeting next week.  This group will likely be making decisions after the work group sunsets. 

d.      Changes to facets in sandbox

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the facets in the sandbox. Currently in production the facets are created by doing a “search” and punctuation differences result in duplicate facets. In the sandbox, we turned on a new feature that uses the authority-controlled headings to create the facets. There are less duplicates in the subject headings.  It will also be shown at Discovery Interface Subcommittee meeting next week.  K. Linke discussed with catalogers and it was determined that the change useful for Author, Topic, and Genre. With the authority-controlled headings, you do see the subdivisions of the headings as well. We will see what DIS has to say, but then we can go ahead and make the change in production.      

e.      Other Bibliovation questions and discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: none.

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  September 14, 2022 via phone/videoconference

6.      Adjournment at 10:43 am


For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/07-2022