Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

September 14, 2022 at 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:

The CMS recommends changing “Koha” to “LINKcat” in the Videorecordings Searching & Matching Policy. 

The CMS recommends adding “TV series and mini-series that circulate as a set: include [All discs] in the title” Under Title in the Videorecordings BSE Policy.


Present: Jennifer Hepler (POR), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Molly Warren (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Amy Lawrence (MCF), Theresa Skov (VER), LuAnn Kranz (DFT), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Kate Hull (SUN), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Kathy Baker (MFD), Eric Crow (MTH)

Absent: None

Excused: Alison Wirth (STP)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke


1.      Call to Order at 9:32 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Alex LeClair from LDI is here as a guest to talk about 4K DVDs (4b).

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: July 13, 2022

a.      Motion: K. Baker moved approval of the July meeting minutes.  M. Warren seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy

                                                              i.      Change “Koha” to “LINKcat”

1.      Motion: T. Maes moved to change “Koha” to “LINKcat” in the Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy.  K. Baker seconded.

2.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the proposed policy change.

3.      Vote: motion carried.

b.      Videorecordings BSE policy

                                                              i.      Add under Title:

1.      TV series and mini-series that circulate as a set: include [All discs] in the title

a.      Motion: L. Schmiedicke moved to add “TV series and mini-series that circulate as a set: include [All discs] in the title” Under Title in the Videorecordings BSE Policy.  E. Crow seconded.

b.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the proposed policy change. This is the language approved by the Multi-part DVD Packaging Workgroup.

c.       Vote: motion carried. 

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy changes

                                                             ii.      New Collection Code LPJ and new Shelving Location LOC

1.      LPJ and LOC were added on 8/8/2022, after approval by ILS Committee on 8/3/2022.

                                                           iii.      Development projects

1.      Submitted to LibLime: Call # browse, Add item button, Duplicate BSE, Batch item edit

                                                           iv.      Changes to facets

b.      Cataloging 4K DVDs (LDI adding more than 50 titles)

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. LeClair from LDI is here as a guest.  This group considers cataloging new formats once we reach 50 unique titles.  LDI is adding 90 unique 4K DVD titles, so we could begin cataloging them.  They require a special player and the viewing is enhanced along with a more cinematic sound track.  LDI originally purchased them for their theatre, but are not using them as much as they thought.  Cataloging them would allow patrons to place holds and increase their use.  A. LeClair thinks it will be a niche market for patrons, similar to cataloging vinyl records.  If this is approved, catalogers would have to work out how they will be cataloged and then we would need to do Linking manual updates.  MRO would be in favor of adding them to their collection.  POR has four titles right now on a generic record and would like them cataloged as well.  S. Hartman mentioned that Playstation 5 can play these.  Xbox Series X can also play them.  The group decided to move forward with cataloging 4K DVDs. The Madison Catalogers will discuss cataloging details and at the November meeting, we can do policy updates. The ILS Committee would then need to approve this at their December meeting.    

c.       Multi-part DVD TV series

                                                              i.      Updates from Workgroup

1.      Matching for existing records

a.      Discussion: A. Gannaway sent out an email about what to do with matching for the Multi-part DVD TV Series change.  Libraries can choose to repackage these items.  The FAQ goes over how to do this.  If you have any questions, please let us know and we can add them to the FAQ that is posted on the ILS Support Cataloging page.  We have a google form you can use to report patron comments.  All information related to this change in listed in the section on the Cataloging page. 

2.      Single library who owns title pilot

a.      Discussion: There has been lots of discussion about a retroactive project.  REE volunteered to do a pilot to test the workflow and staff time required.  They will be working with MAD to repackage those titles where they are the only owning library.  The workgroup will be talking more about the plan/process and if it would possible be to expand it.  It will not be mandatory.  There will be more information about this coming in the future.       

                                                             ii.      Linking Manual and training

1.      Discussion: K. Linke updated the Linking manual for Multi-part DVD TV Series change.  She also updated the tutorial library staff can watch on demand. 

                                                           iii.      Other issues? 

1.      Discussion: none.

d.      Other Bibliovation questions and discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: none.

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  November 9, 2022 at 9:30 at via phone/video conference.

6.      Adjournment at 10:15 am


For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/09-2022