Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

January 11, 2023 at 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:



Present: Amanda Payne (POR), Kate Odahowski (MAD), Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Amy Lawrence (MCF), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Kate Hull (SUN), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Kathy Baker (MFD), Eric Crow (MTH)

Absent: Molly Warren (MAD), Alison Wirth (STP)

Excused: Theresa Skov (VER)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke


1.      Call to Order

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Amanda from POR.†

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: November 9, 2022

a.      Motion: T. Maes moved approval of the November meeting minutes.† L. Schmiedicke seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None.

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      New Collection Code requests

1.      DAPJWL (DIGITAL AUDIO JU WORLD LANG, World Languages Digital Audio Players)

2.      BAEJWL (BOOK/AUDIO-ENABLED JU WORLD LANG, World Languages, Audio-Enabled Books)

3.      DAPJWL and BAEJWL were added on 12/13/2022, after approval by ILS Committee on 12/7/22.

                                                             ii.      Levels of Cataloging Policy

1.      Under Videorecordings:

a.      Remove:

                                                                                                                                      i.      All non-local DVDs, including Blu-ray DVDs and Blu-ray 3D DVDs

b.      Replace with:

                                                                                                                                      i.      All non-local DVDs

                                                                                                                                     ii.      All non-local Blu-rays, Blu-ray 3Ds, and 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays

c.       Approved by ILS Committee 12/7/22.

2.      Videorecordings BSE (Bibliographic Short Entry) Policy

a.      Under Title, including sub-titles:

                                                                                                                                      i.      Add: 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray: include (4K UHD) in the title

b.      Approved by ILS Committee 12/7/22.

3.      Videorecordings Searching and Matching Policy

a.      Under Edition:

                                                                                                                                      i.      Add: 4K Ultra HD

b.      Approved by ILS Committee 12/7/22.

                                                           iii.      Sunsetting Multi-part DVD Packaging Workgroup

1.      Approved by ILS Committee 12/7/22.

b.      Packaging of multi-part non-fiction DVD sets

                                                              i.      Discussion:† The Multi-part DVDs Packaging Workgroup has sunsetted so this group will be continuing their work.† A. Gannaway thought we could start with the discussion of non-fiction DVD sets.† This is more complicated than fiction as each part can usually stand alone for non-fiction TV series.† Rick Steves travel documentaries has 21 episodes but you donít necessarily need to watch them consecutively to understand.† S. Hartman stated that she considers the Rick Steves sets different than some other non-fiction series (i.e. Survivor) where you need the whole context to watch it.† The group felt that reality TV should be kept together while travel/instructional type non-fiction sets could be separated.† Would a survey be useful for LINKcat libraries?† Sometimes instructional needs to go together (i.e. quilting example where you need both parts).† A. Gannaway will work on a survey.† She will send out the draft out to group via email for review.† We can hopefully get responses by the March meeting.†

c.       Retrospective cataloging of multi-part fiction DVD sets

                                                              i.      Discussion: This involves another survey but we could make it more long term so we donít inundate library staff with surveys. †We have people adding new sets to Bibliovation, catalogers create new bibs, and libraries can choose to repackage these items.† Would libraries want to go back and repackage their retro items?† The catalogers needs to have parameters/limitations that need to consider their workload.† Some libraries donít want to do this (i.e. donít have time, cost for repackaging).† The survey should ask libraries how much repackaging at one time could they get through.† A. Gannaway talked with catalogers yesterday and could come up with a draft survey for the March meeting.† MFD is currently doing some DVD weeding and estimate they would repackage 2-3 sets a week at the most.† The non-fiction DVDs survey should go out first.†

d.      Other Bibliovation questions and discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: none.

5.      Plan for Next meeting:† March 8, 2023 at 9:30 am via phone/video conference

6.      Adjournment at 10:05 am


For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/01-2023