Collection Maintenance Subcommittee Minutes

September 13, 2023 at 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:

The Collection Maintenance Subcommittee recommends changing the Levels of Cataloging Policy to add Mobile Hotspots to the PERM section.


Present: Amanda Payne (POR), Molly Warren (MAD), Keri Van Gorden (MAD), Sarah Hartman (MID), Laura Schmiedicke (MRO), Amy Lawrence (MCF), Alison Wirth (STP), Sarah Bukrey (STO), Heather Garvey (SUN), Nancy Kessenich (WAU), Kathy Baker (MFD), Eric Crow (MTH)

Absent: Theresa Skov (VER)
Tina Marie Maes (MAD)
Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)
SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke


1.      Call to Order at 9:32 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Heather Garvey from SUN is sitting in for Kate Hull today. 

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: July 12, 2023

a.      Motion: E. Crow moved approval of the July meeting minutes.  M. Warren seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      Change to Levels of Cataloging policy

                                                              i.      Add Mobile Hotspots to PERM section

a.      Motion: K. Baker moved approval of adding Mobile Hotspots to the PERM section.  L. Schmiedicke seconded.

b.      Discussion: There is a library that wants to make these more available to their patrons.  Right now, they are considered Equipment and are put on a Generic record.  This group can chose to add Mobile Hotspots to the PERM section.  This would allow their patrons to be able to search for them. Libraries can continue to keep their Mobile Hotspots on generic records if they wish. 

c.       Vote: motion carried.  This will go to the ILS Committee for final approval.

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      DVD TV Series retro cataloging project

1.      On-demand report

2.      Instructions for libraries

3.      Form

a.      Discussion: A. Gannaway has everything ready to go.  She reviewed the on-demand report, instructions, and form with attendees for additional feedback. It is difficult to get a list of just TV series, so these reports may contain movie, instructional, and travel sets that are still circulated separately. There are some things that will show up on this report that shouldn’t be re-packaged.  She has noted this on the instructions and went over some examples with the group.  She is working on instructions for running the on-demand report.  You can only run this for one library at a time.  S. Bukrey reported that she did the work for repackaging and went back and the full set bib was deleted but it was still listed on the form.  MAD catalogers are creating this list and we don’t generate lists of deleted bibs. There would be enough staff time to check for deleted bibs and then remove the title from the list.  A library must have withdrawn the last copy and so the bib is gone.  We are hoping that is not happening often. The group decided that this process would start on Monday, October 2.  A. Gannaway will start making everything live the week of September 25 and communicate this with libraries. 

b.      Fast Adds report parameters

                                                              i.      Discussion: A library asked if this report could contain all fast adds, instead of just fast adds that are at least two months old. Then TS staff could place holds so the fast adds are routed to TS when they are returned. Circulation staff don’t always notice when these items get returned and sometimes they end up back on the shelf.  Can we eliminate the date parameters so the monthly report will now show any Fast Adds in the system?  SCLS has a process where we delete Fast Adds that are more than three months old which is done quarterly, and that would continue.  Libraries liked the idea of removing the data parameter on the Fast Adds report.  This change would start with the October report. 

c.       Other Bibliovation questions and discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: none.

5.      Plan for next meeting:  November 8, 2023 at 9:30 am via phone/video conference

6.      Adjournment at 10:07 am


For more information about the Collection Maintenance Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Collection Maintenance Subcommittee/Minutes/09-2023