Delivery Workflows Work Group Minutes

June 24, 2021, 10 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:

Present: Renee Daley and Cassi Williams (co-representatives) (ROM; Cluster 1), Roxanne Staveness (RIO; Cluster 2; RFID), Eddie Glade & Janet Schroeder (STP; Cluster 4; Self Check + RFID), Eric Norton (MCM; Cluster 6; Self Check + RFID ), Stacey Burkart (VER; Cluster 8; Sorter + Self Check + RFID), Emily Noffke (MTH; Cluster 8; Self Check), Jennifer Foster (FCH; Cluster 8; Sorter + Self Check + RFID), Todd Cox (co-representatives) (DCL; Clusters 9-10), Margie Navarre Saaf (MPL; Clusters 11-13; Self Check + RFID)
Absent: None
Excused: None
Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)
SCLS Staff Present: Vicki Teal Lovely, Heidi Oliversen

1.      Call to Order at 10:05 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.


2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: n/a


3.      Action Items

a.      None


4.      Discussion

a.      Charge: Group will work together to identify workflows that may benefit from additional study. This group will also study the pros and cons of a sorter at SCLS Delivery and how it might impact library workflow.

                                                              i.      Discussion:  V. Teal Lovely reviewed the charge given to the AC to create this work group, which represents the ILS Committee, Delivery Committee, ILS staff, and Delivery staff.  Please review the charge before the next meeting, bring suggested changes, and we will vote on this at the next meeting.  In the past year, SCLS considered using CARES Act/IMLS grant to purchase a sorter for SCLS;  RIO and MFD are joining LINKcat this year and MFD wanted to do a RFID conversion at the same time which led to the RFID initiative (see below); and the shutdown made it very apparent that how materials flow through the system is very much effected by workflow in the libraries, the holds sequence setup in LINKcat and workflow in delivery. It seems like a good time to review the flow of materials through the system.  

b.      RFID initiative (12/17/2020): The ILS Committee recommends an initiative to support the conversion to RFID of the materials of all SCLS libraries within seven years for the purposes of increasing the efficiency of resource sharing. This is in support of an existing policy: "Non-RFID libraries allow other libraries to place RFID tags in items received to fill holds .Tag insertion by RFID libraries is voluntary". South Central Library System intends to support the initiative by implementing the use of RFID in automating its system-wide delivery service.

                                                              i.      Discussion: V. Teal Lovely reviewed the RFID Initiative.

c.       Potential topics to explore

                                                              i.      Does it make sense for SCLS to buy a sorter at the new building

                                                             ii.      Review Holds sequences in ILS to sync with routes

                                                           iii.      Presorting bins at libraries

                                                           iv.      Using other sorters at libraries to pre-sort

                                                             v.      Resource sharing / delivery workflow at libraries

                                                           vi.      Other ways to move items through system more efficiently 

                                                         vii.      Discussion: SCLS also created an internal SCLS Delivery Workflow Work group and these are topics that we came up with.  V. Teal Lovely reviewed the topics.  Are there other topics we should explore as part of this workgroup?  M. Navarre Saaf mentioned the “barcode on a bucket”, which is technology allowing you to check in one barcode and the items in the entire “bucket” check-in automatically.  Another topic suggestion was the placement of RFID tags on other library’s materials.  R. Staveness inquired if there has been a time/cost study for a centralized sorter?  There was a time study done a while ago, but this group will be investigating this including advantages/disadvantages, both at delivery and libraries.  Racine has a pre-sort workflow that V. Teal Lovely and C. Baumann have viewed, but maybe this group could organize a trip for those interested. 


5.      Plan for Next meeting: July 22, 2021 at 10 am

a.      The meeting will be the 4th Thursday at 10 am (most popular time).

b.      Discussion – We will have a brainstorming session at the next meeting.  SCLS staff will attempt to facilitate this using virtual “post-it” software.

c.       Action – Vote on the Charge.


6.      Adjournment at 10:31 am



For more information about the Delivery Workflows Work Group, contact Vicki Teal Lovely or Corey Baumann


Delivery Workflows Work Group/Minutes/06-2021