Discovery Interface Subcommittee Notes

November 12, 2018 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters

Chester Room

Action Items:



Present: Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Jake Ineichen (MAD), Robin Krueger (PIN), Jenny Carr (MID), Emma Cobb (VER)

Absent: None

Excused: Rachael Page (DEE)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Rose Ziech, Kayla Linke


1.      Call to order time at 1:31 pm

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes:  None.

                                                             ii.      Additions:  None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 19, 2018

a.      Changes or corrections: None. 

b.      Approved by motion: J. Carr moved approval of the September 2018 meeting minutes. J. Ineichen seconded. Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items: None

4.      Discussion items

a.      Bibliovation Update: Timeline

                                                              i.      Discussion: There is an update expected this week. Our sandbox will be down for a few days. After that, SCLS staff will test the updated software.

b.      Bibliovation Update: 024 (UPC number) index

                                                              i.      Discussion: This came up at the last meeting when we were discussing the Advanced Search. There is no 024 index that can be added to the drop down, but users can search UPC numbers in the Keyword search without using quotes. Subcommittee members didn’t feel it was necessary to pursue an 024 index at this time. 

c.       Bibliovation Update: Search results page

                                                              i.      Navigation through search results pages: reported to LibLime

                                                             ii.      Language ZXX display

1.      Discussion: Language code “ZXX” was displaying in the search results list (instead of “No linguistic content”). We don’t have language displaying on the search results in the current catalog, so we will hide the language from the Bibliovation search results list. The language information is still present in the Language facet. We may also add language information to the 250 (Edition) field (for clarity).

                                                           iii.      Publication date facet: reported to LibLime

                                                           iv.      Actions menu: reported to LibLime

d.      Bibliovation Update: Bib details page

                                                              i.      How to display alternative titles (246 and 740)

1.      Discussion: Kayla and Rose changed the labels to Alternative Title. All of the titles are displaying.

                                                             ii.      Cover art issues

1.      Discussion: The cover art issue was reported to LibLime. Rose did some CSS changes that helped a little.

e.      Bibliovation update: Patron “Dashboard”: all of the issues were reported to LibLime

                                                              i.      My recent activity

                                                             ii.      My account tabs

                                                           iii.      Fines page

                                                           iv.      My borrowing summary

f.        Bibliovation Update: Changes/fixes to banner

                                                              i.      Discussion: This has been completed.

g.      Bibliovation Update: Syndetics Unbound

                                                              i.      Discussion: LibraryThing addressed some problems with Syndetics Unbound and Bibliovation, so the enhanced content is now displaying.  The series information displays but we would like to see fewer titles (maybe 4) displaying up front. The rest of the content is in one tab called “Syndetics Unbound. LibraryThing can rename this tab for us, but we need to decide what to call the tab.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Subcommittee members can think about this and we will revisit the discussion at the next meeting. 

h.      Databases page link on blue bar of LINKcat

                                                              i.      Discussion: SCLS is working to update the SCLS Databases web page, which linked from the LINKcat blue bar. The page will likely list fewer Badgerlink databases but will provide a link to Badgerlink. Should we have a link to Badgerlink from the LINKcat blue bar? We didn’t make a decision about this.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: We will revisit this at the next meeting. By then the updates to the SCLS Databases page should be further along.

i.        Home page of LINKcat for Bibliovation (slides, carousel, etc.)

                                                              i.      Discussion: Do we want to keep doing the LINKcat slides (similar to what we do now), use the new carousel, or do something different?  We cannot do both the slides and the carousel. The subcommittee wants to continue with the LINKcat slides.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Rose will work on adding the LINKcat slides to the Bibliovation home page.

j.        Login / Password labeling in Bibliovation

                                                              i.      Discussion: This came up at the Bibliovation demos. In Bibliovation the login pop-up is labeled Username and Password. Should we change these labels to Barcode and PIN? The subcommittee decided to label the login pop-up the same way we have it labeled now: Login/Barcode and PIN/Password.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Rose will work on change the labeling to Login/Barcode and PIN/Password.

k.       Internet Explorer on patron PCs and Bibliovation Discovery Layer

                                                              i.      Discussion: Amy discovered that logging into the Bibliovation Discovery Layer fails in Internet Explorer but only when using a Windows 8.1 computer. Windows 10 computers are fine. Currently we have 424 patron PCs (out of 799) that are running Windows 8.1. Amy also checked the Google Analytics statistics and found that 5 percent of visits (2018 YTD) to the LINKcat home page are done via Internet Explorer on a Windows 8.1 computer. The subcommittee members said that they thought this was a problem, because patrons who are using Internet Explorer on older computers are less likely to be tech savvy. It’s also a problem that this would be an issue on patron PCs. There are patrons who want to use Internet Explorer on these computers.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Amy will follow up with LibLime.

l.        Bibliovation development prioritization

                                                              i.      Discussion: There are five Discovery Layer development projects that were submitted to LibLime for pre-go live work. However, we may not be able to do all (or any) of these projects prior to go live because of time constraints. Could the subcommittee prioritize the projects in order of importance?

1.      #1 Forgot password / password reset option for patrons

a.      This is something that is a continual problem for patrons and would go a long way toward mitigating any negative aspects (for patrons) of the change to Bibliovation.

2.      #2 Bib details page of Discovery Layer: Move data on page to a tab

a.      If this is not done prior to go live, then we likely will not be able to do it for some time. We have designed the bib details page so far with the assumption that we will be able to put some data into a tab. If we cannot do that, then we will have to re-design the bib details page prior to go live, and after go live, we will not want to again make a big change for patrons. However, the subcommittee would like to see this happen because we want to be able to create a clean and simple design of the bib details page, while still providing access to more detailed information for those patrons who want/need that information.

3.      After go live: Author-display index should include 100cq and 700cq ; Move Shelf Browser to separate column in Discovery Layer ; Block users from creating public lists

a.      The subcommittee felt that all of these projects could be postponed until after go live. They are all issues that we are living with now, and the changes for the patrons would be relatively minor if we implemented them after go live.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: Amy will follow up on these priorities.

5.      Plan for next meeting: January 16, 2019, 9:30 am, SCLS Headquarters

a.      Advanced search page instructions

b.      Follow up from this meeting

c.       Bibliovation timeline update

6.      Adjournment: 2:47 pm


For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.


SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/11-2018