Discovery Interface Subcommittee Minutes

July 17, 2019, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

 

Action Items:

None

 

Present: Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Jake Ineichen (MAD), Robin Krueger (PIN), Jenny Carr (MID), Rachael Page (DEE)

Absent: None

Excused: Emma Cobb (VER)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS staff present: Amy Gannaway, Rose Ziech, Kayla Linke

 

1.      Call to order time at 9:36 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Emily Sample is a practicum student at MAD and attended as a guest with other MAD staff.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      Changes:  none.

                                                             ii.      Additions: A. Gannaway added “Bibliovation: Renew, Resume, Suspend Buttons” under Discussion as 4i.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: May 15, 2019

a.      Changes or corrections: none.

b.      Approved by motion: R. Page moved approval of the May 15, 2019 meeting minutes.  R. Krueger seconded.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action items

a.      None.

4.      Discussion items

a.      Bibliovation Update

                                                              i.      Navigation through search results

                                                             ii.      Relevance link not a drop-down

                                                           iii.      Discussion:  These two items are still on our list of bug fixes.  A. Gannaway will report back to this group when they are fixed, but she will remove it from agenda until there is an update.  

b.      Bibliovation Update: Patron Dashboard

                                                              i.      Discussion:  The work on the Patron Dashboard is nearly complete.  We have done our customization, but there are a few small things for LibLime to fix.  These items have open tickets with LibLime.  We hid everything that was discussed at the last meeting, including the view of recent history.  R. Ziech was able to stretch out the dashboard to fit on a whole page.  The fee section has a “Pay Now” button that connects patrons to E-commerce and also a link to the help page. 

c.       Bibliovation Update: Item display

                                                              i.      Discussion: There is still a Javascript problem where it is not always loading right away, so the changes we’ve made using Javascript aren’t displaying.  You may need to refresh the screen to see the changes.  There is an open ticket for this with LibLime.  After our discussion from the last meeting, the expected issues on the subscription tab were removed to avoid patron confusion.   

d.      Bibliovation Update: Bib details page

                                                              i.      Discussion:  The author and contributors were previously lumped into the “by” section of the Bib details page.  They are now in a list and have been moved further down on the page.  There is still a problem with the holdings number.  If items are marked Lost, they are removed from the holdings count.  This bug has been reported to LibLime.  There are still problems with the punctuation that need to be fixed. 

e.      Update: Video Games Don’t Miss List

                                                              i.      Discussion: The Video Games Don’t Miss Lists for adult, children and teen materials were added in July.

f.        Bibliovation: Adding 5xx fields to patron display

                                                              i.      500, 504, 508, 511, 518, 586 and 588

                                                             ii.      examples: 686159 (504) ; 17746 (500 and 504) ; 88519 (511) ; 871819 (508 and 511)

                                                           iii.      Discussion: This request came from T. Maes at MAD.  Showing all these MARC fields to staff is important, but she wondered if patrons would find the information useful.  Currently some of the 5xx fields are displaying to the patron. All of the 5xx fields would display to the staff.  A. Gannaway reviewed the example records listed in fii.  The 500 can have different types of notes, which the group thought would be useful for patrons.  The 504 contains notes about the bibliography, references, and/or index.  From a research standpoint, it could be useful.  The group decided that most patrons wouldn’t be interested in this information and to keep the 504 hidden.  The 508 is a performer note, which is usually found on Music CDs or DVDs.  The 511 contains the narrator(s), which are usually found on DVDs or Audio books.  The group decided that the 508 and 511 fields were useful information and should be added to the item display for patrons.  The 518 contains the date, time and place something was recorded at (CD, DVD).  The information in the 518 field does not display in any other fields.  After some discussion the group renamed it “Event note” instead.  The group wants to display the 518 in the item display for patrons.  The 586 displays awards.  This is usually also in our Enhanced content, but it’s not searchable.  The group decided the 586 field can be hidden because awards are listed elsewhere.  The 588 usually displays something like “print version record.”  The group decided this can be hidden.  R. Ziech completed these changes during the meeting and we reviewed the patron display from the sandbox. We want to have development in the future to move these fields i around, but that won’t be happening for go live.                                

g.      Bibliovation: Checkout history message

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway distributed a handout of the proposed wording change to the Checkout history message from the Circulation Services Subcommittee.  Patrons see this message when turning on and off their checkout history.  We always retain 30 days of data regardless of whether a patron has their reading history turned off or on for problem items (unless something is checked out).  The circulation staff want to make that clear.  The wording was approved by the group.

                                                             ii.      Next steps: SCLS will ask LibLime to make the change.     

h.      Bibliovation: Custom branding for libraries

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway demonstrated what R. Ziech has been working on for library branding.  There are now links to libraries in a drop down menu that will go to their individual branded PACs.  Three libraries have test sites set-up (COL, MAD, REE).  R. Ziech used the link to library web sites listed in the SCLS Online Directory.  As the page shrinks down below 768 pixels (for a phone or tablet), do we want to keep the banner?  Could we make the banner more transparent instead?  R. Ziech will look into this.  She thinks she can do this in the CSS.  The slideshow was moved further down on the page when it’s shrunk down.  R. Ziech can see if we can reposition it in the header.  Could we make the button darker?  The background moves when you hit the button now.  It appears to be centered, so the height changes and slides the banner.  Can we get rid of the banner and make the background behind the search box a color (light blue or purple).  R. Ziech will look into these questions from committee members and report back at the next meeting. 

i.        Bibliovation: Renew, Resume, Suspend Buttons

                                                              i.      Discussion: We talked about this at the last meeting.  We could use Javascript to help make the buttons clearer.  Can we add a cancel button next to each item?  Can we use the same buttons and icons, but add the words next to the buttons?  The text currently shows up when you hover over the button.  R. Ziech would be inserting text into the existing button with no extra padding.  Could the buttons be different colors to differentiate them (i.e. red, yellow, green)?  The members decided that they don’t want the cancel button listed first.  The order of the buttons should be Suspend, Resume, and then Cancel. R. Ziech will look into these questions from committee members and report back at the next meeting. 

j.        Communication and planning for Bibliovation migration

                                                              i.      Discussion:  We are working on a tentative migration plan for January 2, 2020.This is a desirable date as it would make things easier for year-end reports, but it is very tentative.  We still have a list of bug fixes that need to be done by the end of the summer.  The list has gotten smaller, so LibLime is making progress.  We need to have a stable sandbox to begin writing documentation and preparing to host library staff training.  We are waiting for a definitive answer for when the items on our list will be fixed.  We are trying to plan a migration timeline and work out those details (Circulation downtime, Cataloging downtime, etc.)  The bugs have been prioritized by SCLS staff.  Please be on the lookout for email communication about migration planning in the future.  A. Gannaway would also like feedback from this group on tutorials, training materials, etc. and will send out emails when there is something ready for review. A. Gannaway will send out checklists again for another round of testing, hopefully at the end of August/early September. 

5.      Plan for next meeting: September 18, 2019 at SCLS Headquarters

6.      Adjournment: 11:32 am.

 

For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

 

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/07-2019