Discovery Interface Subcommittee Minutes

November 20, 2019, 9:30 am

SCLS Headquarters
Chester Room

Action Items:

The DIS recommended discontinuing the LINKcat Launcher script policy.

The DIS recommended moving forward with the migration on December 6, 2019, with the understanding that there are still outstanding problems but nothing that would prevent us from moving forward with the migration to Bibliovation. 


Present: Jake Ineichen (MAD), Robin Krueger (PIN), Rachael Page (DEE), Emma Cobb (VER)

Absent: Tina Marie Maes (MAD)

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff: Amy Gannaway, Rose Ziech, Kayla Linke, Vicki Teal Lovely

1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      Vicki Teal Lovely will be attending today as a guest. 

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: September 18, 2019

a.      Motion: R. Krueger moved approval of the September 18, 2019 meeting minutes.  E. Cobb seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      Discontinuation of launcher script policy

                                                              i.      Motion: R. Page recommends discontinuing the LINKcat Launcher Script policy.  R. Krueger seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: This policy states that library websites should use the launcher script URL. The launcher script looks at the IP address of the computer and places the patron directly into the library branded PAC for the appropriate library, when the patron is using the SCLS network.  SCLS staff have been working on a project to discontinue the launcher script when we move to Bibliovation.  Each library will now have its own custom branded PAC and the library will be able to use their agency code with linkcat.info (i.e. sun.linkcat.info for SUN).  This will be applied to patron PCs on the SCLS network.  After the migration, there will be a redirect in place so the launcher script links will be redirected to www.linkcat.info.    A. Gannaway will write a blog post and send an email to libraries regarding this change.  The URL scrubber will also be retired when we migrate to Bibliovation.     

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried. This will go to ILS Committee for final approval.

b.      Review and approve Bibliovation Discovery Layer

                                                              i.      Motion:  R. Page recommended we move forward with the migration on December 6, 2019, with the understanding that there are still outstanding problems but nothing that would prevent us from moving forward with the migration to Bibliovation.  E. Cobb seconded.

                                                             ii.      Discussion: The subcommittees are approving different modules for the Bibliovation migration.  A. Gannaway sent out the Discovery Layer testing checklist to members for testing and overall, the core functionality is there.  A. Gannaway reviewed the outstanding issues for the for the “View nearby items on shelf” option, if there is no call number on the item, nothing happens when you click the button.  A. Gannaway suggested to LibLime that a message should display saying this search is unavailable for items without a call number.  There are some minor patron dashboard singular/plural wording problems on the patron dashboard page.  We would like some improvements to the navigation on the search results page.  There are some display issues with the My List page.  The ”View nearby items on shelf” cover art is blurry.  There are some issues with horizontal scroll bars, which SCLS fixed using CSS, but it’s still an open ticket with LibLime because they should fix the code on their end.  On the search results and bib details pages, there are sometimes two periods in the author’s name.  This has to do with Bibliovation not recognizing the subfield e as the last subfield in the MARC tag.  The My Listsoption present in the “My account” dropdown isn’t working, so it’s hidden with CSS.  We have open ticket with LibLime to fix this.  There are some issues with the bib details page on mobile display.  Opening the Discovery Layer in Internet Explorer 11 isn’t loading our “On application load” code error, so the display is off, but the Discovery Layer is still usable in IE 11. Using the Boolean operator OR isn’t working- it does an AND search instead. LibLime is working on this.  These outstanding issues will be listed on Known Problems pages. After go live, we will review these issues and prioritize them for LibLime. 

                                                           iii.      Vote: motion carried. This will go the ILS Committee for final approval.

4.      Discussion

a.      Bibliovation Update: Custom branding for libraries “Visit the….” Wording

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway sent out the revised wording for this via email and she didn’t receive any comments.  The change has been made. Additional changes were not proposed.

b.      Bibliovation Update: Resume Button and Checkboxes Waiting and In Transit items

                                                              i.      Resume button changed to white

                                                             ii.      Checkboxes for Waiting and In Transit items hidden

                                                           iii.      Discussion: These changes have been made.    

c.       Update: Read on Wisconsin links on Don’t Miss Lists web page

                                                              i.      Completed 9/24/19

d.      Communication and planning for Bibliovation migration

                                                              i.      Updating LINKcat help pages, tutorial scripts, and bookmarks

1.      Discussion: Everyone on the subcommittee completed their updates for the LINKcat Help pages.  A. Gannaway reviewed them and made some edits to help text fit onto a bookmark.  We are almost done with the bookmark drafts and they will be sent out for printing.  R. Ziech set-up a beta site for help.linkcat.info.  A. Gannaway is working on adding the revised help page text to the beta site.  Should we still continue to link to PDF bookmark files, so that libraries can print bookmarks themselves?  Yes.  A. Gannaway plans to get beta help.linkcat.info updates finished by Thanksgiving We will announce to staff when the revised LINKcat Help pages are complete.       

                                                             ii.      Updating Discovery Layer crosswalk

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway asked members to review the Discovery Layer crosswalk for staff.  She will finalize the crosswalk and announce when it’s done.

                                                           iii.      Timeline and testing deadlines

1.      Discussion: Testing is complete for pre go live.  The Bibliovation Migration Events for Libraries page is being updated regularly and A. Gannaway reviewed it with the group.  We will also be communicating to libraries about the migration in Top 5, via email, and LINKcat News blog posts.  A lot of the information will be pertaining to Circulation.  The PR workgroup is preparing materials for libraries to share with patrons. 

                                                           iv.      Outline for staff webinar

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway started putting together a web page to have staff specific tips related to the Discovery Layer.  A. Gannaway will plan to come up with some very short Discovery Layer tutorials for staff without narration (i.e. how to place a hold, etc.).Searching is basically the same for staff and patrons. 

                                                             v.      Mobile app prompt

1.      Discussion: We discussed this at the last meeting.  R. Ziech had added it to the sandbox.  If you go to Bibliovation on your phone, you now get a prompt about the mobile app.  The group thought this was fine. 

                                                           vi.      About LINKcat blurb on LINKcat home page

1.      Discussion: On the LINKcat homepage, there is a gray “About LINKcat” box near the bottom.  We need to change Koha to Bibliovation, but are there any other changes we should make?  The About LINKcat Help page has some wording in the first paragraph that we could use. We will use the following to replace the current blurb: “LINKcat is the shared catalog for a consortium of public libraries in Wisconsin that work together and with the South Central Library System to create a network of shared computer systems and services. Because LINKcat combines the library collections of all LINKcat libraries, the system gives you access to nearly 3 million items representing more than 800,000 different titles!” The FB and Twitter links will be listed after this paragraph.  We revised the footer to say “LINKcat is brought to you by 47 member libraries of the South Central Library System and powered by LibLime Bibliovation.” The footer appears on every page in the Discovery Layer.  R. Ziech made the changes during the meeting. 

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  January 15, 2020

6.      Adjournment: 10:42 am.

 

 

For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact A. Gannaway.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.

 

Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/11-2019