Discovery Interface Subcommittee Minutes

January 20, 2021, 9:30 am

Phone/video conference

Action Items:



Present: Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Jake Ineichen (MAD), Robin Krueger (PIN), Rachael Page (DEE), Emma Cobb (VER), Eric Norton (MCM), Bailey Anderson (STO)

Absent: None

Excused: None

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke, Rose Ziech


1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      E. Norton from MCM and B. Anderson from STO have joined the committee.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: November 18, 2020

a.      Motion: T. Maes moved approval of the November meeting minutes.  R. Krueger seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      LINKcat tutorials

                                                             ii.      Name changes on Don’t Miss Lists

                                                           iii.      Discussion: A. Gannaway is still working on the LINKcat tutorials.  At the last meeting, we talked about changing names on DML.  We weren’t able to do this yet because of the yearend processes and reports.  A. Gannaway will be communicating with C. Weber about when she can make these name changes.

b.      Mobile app implementation update

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway is waiting on SOLUS.  She needs to test the app and complete the set-up.  LibraryThing will keep rolling over the subscription on a monthly basis until we are ready to implement the new app.  A. Gannaway will send an email out to update libraries on this once she has more information.  She anticipates that libraries will be able to implement their own templates this summer. 

c.       Feedback and suggestions from November 2020 Discovery Layer User Group

                                                              i.      Rearrange blue bar:

1.      Help – could this incorporate a drop-down for the help topics?

2.      Advanced Search

3.      New This Week

4.      Don’t Miss Lists

5.      Online Resources

6.      Newspapers

7.      OverDrive

8.      Mobile (will this change)?

9.      Can we add to blue bar? E.g. link to “My Dashboard”?

10.  Discussion: A. Gannaway held a Discovery Layer User Group and there were suggestions that she wanted to bring to this group.  R. Ziech was able to create a test drop-down from the Help link and you have to click on the items to get them to open up.  After some discussion, the group came up with a new order for the blue bar; Home, Advanced Search, New this Week, Don’t Miss Lists, Online Resources, Overdrive, Newspapers, and Help.  The Home, Advanced Search, and New this Week are supplied by LibLime while the rest are created/updated by SCLS.  The group decided to save the drop down change for later.  We need more time to come up with what links we would include in the dropdown.  We plan to host another Discovery Layer User Group in February to get more feedback to see if these changes have helped.                            

                                                             ii.      Patrons are confused about My Dashboard, how to find it and how to navigate it:

1.      Add LINKcat Help topic for “My Dashboard” with a video that would be a LINKcat intro / overview of LINKcat home page, also My Dashboard video esp. explaining difference between My Checkouts and My History

2.      Add screenshot with My Dashboard instructions on home page of LINKcat Help

3.      Could the My Account area in the upper right hand corner be a different color?

4.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reviewed the LINKcat Help site. T. Maes had some suggestions on how to reorganize the left sidebar menu.  R. Ziech offered to reorganize the left sidebar menu to make it easier for people (content will not be changed).  We can find a place where My Dashboard won’t get lost when we do have a page for that.  T. Maes and E. Norton volunteered to help with this as well.  Can we change the My Account color to make it visually pop?  This may interfere with the background graphics of the masthead.  The group expressed a need for consistency in the labelling to help with patron confusion.  It was suggested to add underlines on the Patron Dashboard to help patrons know there are clickable links.  Can we change My Account to My Dashboard?  R. Ziech will look into changing the wording and see how difficult it would be.  Can we remove the link “You have a balance of $___”?  We will also look into adding a search box on this page in the future. 

d.      Other Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: LibLime is working on another upgrade, but we don’t have it in our sandbox yet.  We may know more by the next Discovery Layer User Group which is tentatively scheduled for the end of February.

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  March 17, 2021 at 9:30 am

6.      Adjournment at 10:51 am.


For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/01-2021