Discovery Interface Subcommittee Minutes

May 19, 2021, 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:



Present: Tina Marie Maes (MAD), Rachael Page (DEE), Eric Norton (MCM), Emma Cobb (VER)

Absent: Jake Ineichen (MAD), Steev Baker (SUN)

Excused: Robin Krueger (PIN)

Recorder: Michelle Karls

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Kayla Linke, Rose Ziech


1.      Call to Order at 9:33 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: March 17, 2021

a.      Motion: R. Page moved to approve of the March meeting minutes.  T. Maes seconded.

b.      Discussion: none. 

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      LINKcat tutorials

1.      Placing holds tutorial added to LINKcat help

2.      Discussion: A. Gannaway has been working on these and will continue to as time allows.  She recently posted the Placing Holds tutorial on YouTube. 

                                                             ii.      Name changes on Don’t Miss Lists

1.      Completed for April lists

                                                           iii.      My Dashboard updates and changes

1.      LINKcat changes to My Dashboard wording: Completed

2.      My Dashboard help page: Completed

b.      Mobile app implementation update

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway sent out an email that the Solus Mobile App is ready to go live on June 1.  Staff will be able to see it May 24 in “test flight” mode.   More information will be coming via email this week.  In Google play, we can send staff a link and they can download the App, but it won’t be available to the general public.  Apple is trickier to make it available for only staff to preview.  She started working on a FAQ for staff.  She will send this out as well, but is waiting for more solid information on the Apple issue.  The group thought the FAQ looked good.  LibraryThing will be available until June 30 so patrons have enough time to make the change.  Individual libraries will have the option to purchase a custom template after the app go live.

c.       LINKcat Help page with links to tutorials for patrons from different libraries

                                                              i.      Discussion: Some libraries have made their own LINKcat tutorials and A. Gannaway was asked about sharing these with other staff and patrons. Do you think it would be useful to have a page like this for patrons?  We could add a new page with links to these video tutorials.  The group was concerned with keeping this page up to date.  Libraries would need to send A. Gannaway updates.  MCM has some but they are specific to their library and it might not be useful to other patrons.  We will park this for now and review it again later in the summer after A. Gannaway has finished getting Solus out and RIO is live.

d.      7.0 upgrade Discovery Layer changes

                                                              i.      Navigation through search results pages

                                                             ii.      Sort options

                                                           iii.      Discussion: Bibliovation production is currently the 6.2 version.  The 7.0 version in the works and we have it in our sandbox.  A lot of the upgrade is circulation related and is taking time for testing.  The upgrade wouldn’t be happening until August at the earliest.  A few changes in sandbox are related to the Discovery Layer.  A. Gannaway showed the navigation through search results pages.  It shows first and last pages buttons, also next and previous pages buttons.  We can customize it to show how many pages we want to display.  It is currently set to 10 for testing purposes and the group felt we should stick with this.   For the sorting, we can decide which sorts to display and we haven’t been able to do this before.  Should we keep Popularity?  Call Number?  Modified date options?  The descriptions for the searches are not always clear and sometimes the information is not useful for patrons.  A. Gannaway will remove the Call Number, Last modified date, and Popularity sorts in the sandbox.  We can revisit this in July since it won’t need to be finalized before then.     

e.      Other Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: 7.0 Upgrade happening in the fall. 

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  July 21, 2021 at 9:30 am

6.      Adjournment at 10:34 am


For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/05-2021