Discovery Interface Subcommittee Minutes

March 16, 2022, 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:



Present: Tom Campbell (MAD), Jake Ineichen (MAD), Emma Cobb (VER), Eric Norton (MCM)

Absent: Rachael Page (DEE), Steev Baker (SUN)

Excused: Kara Coffman (PDS), Robin Krueger (PIN)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Rose Ziech


1.      Call to Order at 9:35 am

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      None.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: January 19, 2022

a.      Motion: T. Campbell moved approval of the January meeting minutes.  E. Norton seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      Personal Details page development

                                                             ii.      Tweaks to Discovery Layer

1.      Mobile view:

a.      Added checkboxes to search results page in mobile view

b.      Submit all button not displaying

2.      In production?

a.      My Personal Details page remove red line around date of birth box (good)

b.      Adding “no renewal” in “checkbox” column on checkouts page (good)

3.      Different colors for In transit and Waiting holds on holds page (make colors darker)

4.      Padding around cancel and suspend/resume buttons on holds page (increase)

                                                           iii.      Bugfix and development prioritization followup

1.      Discussion:  The CSS discussed the Personal Details page development. The next step is to give this to LibLime. A. Gannaway showed the tweaks made to the Discovery Layer (in sandbox and mobile view) that we discussed making at the January meeting.  R. Ziech added the color changes for Waiting and In Transit holds to production. A. Gannaway reviewed the top bugfixes and development projects. The first project is about changing the default facet sort to A-Z, and adding a Z-A sort option. For the “library” facets, the home library (if using the library’s custom URL) would be displayed first, then the rest in alphabetical.  The other development project is giving patrons the ability to change their hold pickup location for unfilled holds.      

b.      Adding information about refreshing browser after changing password

                                                              i.      Add text to Changing Password pop-up box

                                                             ii.      Passwords and Privacy help page and bookmark: Add “and refresh the browser” after “Click the submit button”

1.      Discussion: A. Gannaway mentioned that if you go into your personal details to change your password you have to refresh your browser for the change to take.  R. Ziech added text to the changing password pop-up to advise patrons to refresh browser. Amy will also work on adding this to the LINKcat Help and the appropriate bookmark.

c.       Renaming or removing Cart

                                                              i.      Discussion: Some patrons find it confusing that stuff they put in the cart will disappear.  We have had suggestions from staff to remove the cart all together or rename it.  There is text on the Help page stating that the cart is temporary.  The cart is helpful for some patrons.  Would it be helpful if we could add a warning near the cart?  R. Ziech added text to the Cart pop-up noting that the contents of the cart will be deleted.

d.      Discontinue LINKcat Twitter

                                                              i.      Discussion: The LINKcat Twitter account was created in March 2010 when we were about to migrate from Dynix to Koha. We also created a LINKcat facebook page.  We use them to notify patrons of downtime.  Twitter only has 183 followers and we were wondering if it is time to delete it.  We have more Facebook followers than Twitter.  The group agreed it can be deleted.  A. Gannaway will announce that Twitter will be sunsetted, send a few reminders, and point followers to the LINKcat Facebook page. 

e.      Design ideas for Solus Mobile app

                                                              i.      Discussion: Solus is working on things to redesign the app and asked if we had any feedback or any other apps that we liked.  R. Ziech mentioned that on “My checkout” screen it would be helpful to have a way to limit to just items that are overdue.  There has been some connectivity issues in the app, which A. Gannaway passed on to Solus.  Solus is in the process of working with LibLime on this.  Please think about mobile app design and email A. Gannaway if you have any suggestions or app designs that you like.  Do we have stats for mobile app usage?  VER has a template but it doesn’t show many uses.  A. Gannaway reported that libraries can request a report to be emailed to them.  A. Gannaway will send this information to VER. 

f.        Other Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: R. Ziech has increased space around the suspend/resume and cancel buttons on the holds pages.  She will add this to production. 

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  May 18, 2022 at 9:30 am via phone/video conference

a.      Meeting format (virtual / in-person)

6.      Adjournment at 10:46 am.


For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/03-2022