Discovery Interface Subcommittee Minutes

March 15, 2023, 9:30 am

Phone/video conference


Action Items:



Present: Tom Campbell (MAD), Jake Ineichen (MAD)

Excused: None
Absent: Ra
chael Page (DEE), Eric Norton (MCM)

Recorder: Michelle Karls (SCLS)

SCLS Staff Present: Amy Gannaway, Rose Ziech


1.      Call to Order at 9:34 am.

a.      Introduction of guests/visitors

                                                              i.      None.

b.      Changes/Additions to the Agenda

                                                              i.      T. Campbell asked to add Awards note field.  This was added under Discussion as 4c.

c.       Requests to address the Committee

                                                              i.      None.

2.      Approval of previous meeting minutes: January 18, 2023

a.      Motion: T. Campbell moved approval of the January meeting minutes.  J. Ineichen seconded.

b.      Discussion: none.

c.       Vote: motion carried.

3.      Action Items

a.      None

4.      Discussion

a.      Updates from previous meeting

                                                              i.      Adding more ALA award lists to Don’t Miss Lists

1.      Coretta Scott King – done

2.      Next up - Stonewall Book Award

                                                             ii.      OverDrive API integration

1.      Discussion:  LibLime has turned this on in the sandbox but there is an error and it has been reported.  A. Gannaway is working on updating the OverDrive records in production.

b.      Meeting format (virtual vs. in-person)

                                                              i.      Discussion: These meetings are usually fairly short, so virtual is the preferred format.  We will scheduled virtual meetings for the next year and revisit this discussion in March 2024.

c.       Award note field

                                                              i.      Discussion: For years, MAD has put Awards notes in the MARC 586 field so patrons can easily find items with awards and that are part of the Wisconsin Film Festival.  While doing work this year, T. Campbell noticed the Discovery Layer does not display this field.  This could be a problem for anyone trying to identify films from a particular year and there may be value in making this field visible in the Discovery Layer.  R. Ziech can test this in the sandbox and see if it will display.  The label should be “Awards note.” R. Ziech will report back to this group.

d.      Other Bibliovation questions and/or discussion

                                                              i.      Discussion: A. Gannaway reported that we are still working on upgrade testing in sandbox.  LibLime made a big change to dates as they are now using UTC in backend while the display to the patron is Central time.  We have to update a lot of reports with the new date UTC code after the upgrade.  J. Ineichen got an email from patron who did a keyword search for a specific book called “Metaphase.”  We only have one record in our collection that has that word in it (in the Table of Contents) and the book is about making your own jewelry.  That was confusing for them.  Was having the only result automatically display instead of giving us a list by design?  LibLime designed it that way.  A. Gannaway can check but she doesn’t think there is a setting we can change.  Patrons could try searching the title field instead if they get a confusing result when doing keyword searching.  R. Ziech is working on upgrading LINKcat to Google Analytics 4.  She is testing in the sandbox and there have been a few issues.  We have some time before it has to be installed (July).  She will update us at the May meeting.

5.      Plan for Next meeting:  May 17, 2023 at 9:30 am via phone/video conference

a.      Google analytics upgrade update

6.      Adjournment at 9:48 am


For more information about the Discovery Interface Subcommittee, contact Amy Gannaway.

SCLS staff are available to attend cluster meetings to share information and answer questions pertaining to this committee meeting and other departmental projects.


Discovery Interface Subcommittee/Minutes/03-2023